28 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2011 1:48 AM by anadyr RSS

New Look/Features

versel Alumni Steward Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

So what does anyone think of the new site? It will take some getting used to, I'm sure. I'm looking forward to playing around with it to see just what we can do.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: New Look/Features
    traveler2 Platinum

Oh my.....not sure this is working for me!! I find it difficult to navigate. Only time will tell and I think we'll need to give it lots of time. When they changed to the previous Insiders people were not happy and I think this one is going to be even more difficult. Web sites already consume too much of our time and this one might be more than I can do right now. But, I will give it a go!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Yeah, it's a pretty radical change. Make sure to take advantage of the "Type to filter by text" box when browsing content.

columbussig Platinum

Wow.....1st impressions.  I am lost!  

I am sure I will get use to it, but looks like alot of bells and whistles that may not be needed.   Why would I want to search by person?  Also just clicked on Marriott Rewards section and had content from 2009 on first page.   Hopefully some old posts will be cleansed or better organized.

We shall see!

• This reply has been hidden. This can happen if the message has been hidden by a moderator, or has been reported as abusive.

istaytoomuch, I was actually referring to the new layout of the Insiders site. But I agree with you on the marriott.com site. I liked it better before.

aaupgrade Platinum

The new My Account section is terrible.  It is cluttered with marketing, takes many more clicks to get to real information, unable to see all of one's reservations on a single page. Unable to see Visa reward certificates, unable to see the breakdown of Visa Annual Bonus nights, Rollover nights, and Visa monthly nights earned for every $1000 purchased.  To see a reservation, you have to scroll down the pointless window frame o get to the reservation (which provide no real info, just name and confirm #), then click to have it finally show me the dates, but I have to click "View reservation details" to finally see room type, rate rules, etc.  So what used to take 1 or 2 clicks now takes 3-9 clicks, or more.  This is NOT an improvement.  No Lifetime info.  This site may be OK for the infrequent guest that only has 1-3 reservations booked, but for those of us that have a few dozen it is a pain.

And they really need to take the "My Account made better" banner off of the slow loading home page, as the My Account page is not better by any stretch of the imagination.

BTW, when is the home page going to be replaced with one that is more user friendly and less of a resource hog?  Please remove the new My Account page and roll back to the previous version as that one was quite good.  Only few minor modifications to the old My Account page are needed to make it better.

I would also highly recommend that Marriott management review the competency of those who designed the new My Account web page, the new home page, and this message board for that matter.

• This reply has been hidden. This can happen if the message has been hidden by a moderator, or has been reported as abusive.
      nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

I couldn't agree more with hnewman. When there was initial talk about a new site, I was hoping that it wouldn't be simply "change for change sake" but it's beginning to look that way. I agree that the old site was better for those with many outstanding reservations. The elimination of "cancelled reservations" is a huge step backward. I'm just waiting for the time when I get charged for a reservation that I cancelled within the required time period. Before, I could just go to my profile, and easily retrieve the cancellation number. Now, I have to either be sure to waste more paper by printing out the cancellation notice (and hope that it gets properly filed) or waste time by searching through my e-mails to find it (and hope that I didn't accidentally delete it). I'm beginning to appreciate the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" rubric, bad grammar and all!

nhtraveler

nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews

In my email inbox I created a special 'folder' specifically for canceled hotel reservations. If you put the email notification that you receive after canceling (which for me arrives almost immediately after canceling) then you would have an easy-to-locate record of cancelations and not have to hunt for the cancelation number if there was any question at a later date.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

It never takes much to confuse me but in this case Marriott has succeeded!  The new Marriott and Insider's sites seem unnecessarily cluttered to be honest and cute where cute is not called for.

• The Marriott site has some loading glitches that prevent quick access
    • Insiders is so large that I had to reduce my screen resolution to see the whole site with one view
    • The forums, while inadequate in the Beta version, have become more inaccessible.
    • I could go on but won't

Maybe with the passage of time we'll get used to this, but for the moment I am disappointed

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

I don't think you're alone on the frustration with the screen size.  But I'm trying to find out.  I posted a POLL in OTHER TOPICS.  It only takes a second to participate.  Maybe we can convince someone to fix it - that one seems like low hanging fruit.  (The MR folks seem to pay more attention (and/or listen) to you....

Cheers.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

If the intent was to create something for computer guru's...success!  This is too much change for me to spend a lot of time trying to learn.  On the old site, I followed each post by half a dozen or so other insiders and generally clicked on the email that notified me everytime they made a post.  Did that list of insiders transfer over to this new site?  If so, how do I find that info?  If not, how do I locate and add those same insiders who I enjoyed following?  thanks.

• New Look/Features
    columbussig Platinum

In addition, why am I getting all the response to my email now?  Before you could subscribe to posts (which I only subscribed to be alerted when Marriott) posted something.  Now every reply goes to my email. 

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Alas, I'm lost.   I'm not sure WHY I'm lost.  (I'm not a Luddite, and I use the Internet a lot....)    For example, I can't seem to find the basic FORUM that I used to use for reading new posts, etc.  I expect I'll figure it out with time.  Similarly, for this post, I don't know how to add tags (at least not yet)...  Also, did we lose the ability to preview our posts before posting?

I try - really try - not to reject change just because it's change (or new or different). But - at least so far - I'm frustrated...

p.s. I know that, as a 50+, I'm a geezer to many.  But the default font is simply TOO SMALL.  I know that small font is "prettier" on the screen.  (I've been hearing that from our communications office and our web guru's for years.)  If I have to squint to get content off a site, I find I visit it less than I would if it didn't hurt my eyes....

traveler2 Platinum

Agree! Agree! Agree! That's all that I can say!

nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews

I agree with those of you who think it's going to take a while to learn the new site. It does feel a bit overwhelming.... I actually do like the new 'My Account' section on Marriott.com, though. More time will tell.

franke Gold 4 Reviews

trying to use it right now. different but i'll give it a shot

fhllast4ever Platinum

Quite inefficient as it takes too  many clicks to navigate.    I also did not like the part where each participant is listed and assigned points (for

posting?).   I feel like I'm in school and being graded for class participation!

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I completely agree about the assigning of points for posts.  If someone actually figures out how the site works, it could jammed with people trying to accumulate points (although for no good reason).

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Geez Prof - you took away my incentive! (Joking, of course - but then, this post reply earns me another point, doesn't it?)

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

As a novice, I don't think I'm qualified to pass judgement on the merits of points for my postings.........

Just think -- you could write, Hello, Marriott 1000 times...

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Hello Marriot a 1000 times..will that give me a 1000 points or do I need to do it 1000 times?

I think you will have to do it 1000 times.  But then you can become a rock star.

I am confused...when does the scavenger hunt start..been searching but don't where to find this?

Positive spin - 440 new MRI members since the site was released as of this post.

and that is from an apprentice..good jog..you should be eleveated to super apprentice.

• New Look/Features

I noticed I made some spelling mistakes...In the old Marriott Insiders you could edit mistakes..Can that be done here???

When using Firefox or Chrome, you can definitively see spelling mistakes as you type. Not sure about IE (I am using version 8 but the jive system does not recognize I have installed the latest version). A right-click on the spelling error and correct spelling suggestions are made available.

Spelling.gif

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I'm happy to see that I can use my iPad on the new site.

What about my Kindle?  (once I get one)

Than you can load up "Vegas" and read your novel on Kindle???

will do

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Realistically, most people, including myself, will never have the time to "Master", or even come close to utilizing this site.  It seems as SS, and others have stated, "The basic purpose of this web site, "Travel communication", seems to have been minimized.  I learned from the Army "Kiss", (Keep it Simple Stupid), and I know I will never really get all of this.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...