8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2012 9:04 AM by eb5147 RSS

Platinum member benefit

citygirl1221 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Platinum member for 2 years now. One of the benefit says " room upgrade", I don't think I have ever got upgraded when I stayed, is it a benefit I have to ask when I check in, or it's automatically given when I make the reservation? Thanks..

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• A: Platinum member benefit
    singerdave Platinum
    It depends on the property. If I stay at a Fairfield Inn & Suites and book an ordinary guest room, I'll be upgraded to a Studio -- if one is available. If I stay at a Spring Hill or a Marriott, it will be the available room that the clerk feels is the best, typically the best view, the most quiet, most convenient, or some combination thereof. Being 30 feet away from the concierge lounge was quite a nice place to be at one particular Marriott. Normally you won't get upgraded to a high-end suite (as the Platinum guide does state that suites aren't included), but I have occasionally been upgraded to suites at Courtyards, especially the ones that know me well. Otherwise, it's typically a combination of view, quietness, and other amenities, such as a room with a balcony at a property where not all rooms have balconies. Normally I'm not a first-floor guy, but one of the nicest upgrades that I received was a first-floor courtyard room directly facing the most beautiful part of the courtyard. I could open the sliding door and walk right out into the courtyard, and sip wine with my wife under the nearby canopy.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

residentx Gold
    Always ask, clerks don't always pay attention. Sometimes, I go into a hotel room and it will lack furniture or something. I'll call down to the desk and tell them I'm platinum and I get put in a suite. All of my stays have been at Courtyards too.

techie Platinum 7 Reviews
    I generally have to politely ask. Sometimes, I am told I already am in an upgraded room..and I have to think about what I would do if it were smaller (UK). Sometimes there are none available and recently, I got upgraded to a nice suite.

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews
    Very rarely was I upgraded beyond a concierge floor room or perhaps what was called and "executive king" ...basically just slightly larger than the normal rooms when I was platinum. Never got an upgrade as gold. The best upgrades came when I was in Europe actually unless the properties knew me, then I often got nicer rooms or upgrades. I think what we all think of an upgrade is a suite or something fantastic. Its kinda like getting a rental car upgrade. A minor "improvement" like power windows or locks is seen as an upgrade at times. At the hotel that "upgrade" can be a view vs no view, something that probably doesn't amount to much for a regular visitor but would seem like a very cool "upgrade" to someone that stays a handful of nights a year. We often take for granted that our "normal" accommodations are already upgrades from the room type we book (std room vs concierge level for example). I will say that having achieved plat. premier and going back into some of the same properties I had stayed at many many times as a platinum member, I was shocked that they actually had bigger, nicer rooms and I regularly was provided with them. Sadly, at the end of the day I think it really boils down to the property's management, your relationship with them or attitude towards them that factors the most into if and what type of upgrade you will get. My best advice is to make nice with the staff. If you are going to stay at one property for a few weeks, introduce yourself to the management, make sure to mention that you would enjoy an upgrade or something specific. You'd be surprised at how that could help.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews
    I use a two-pronged approach whenever I check in. I will casually ask the clerk, "Did you notice I am Platinum Premier?" Using this as an icebreaker (and a chance to educate the clerk), I will follow-up and ask, "Do you know the difference between PP and P?" (Explanation follows when appropriate, about 90% of the time.) THEN, I will ask if I am getting an upgrade to one of their best rooms. Hopefully, the next PP to check in will be recognized for his/her status (clerk now educated) and be on the lookout for upgrading the PP guest.

citygirl1221 Platinum
    Thanks for all your answers !! I guess I will just use all my points to book those all inclusive packages to somewhere nice !!

• Re: Platinum member benefit
    orlgal Platinum

Courtyard Marriott Boston Copley Place GM, Bernardo,  does not return telephone calls of its Platinum members that complain.Inexcusable!  Stay at the Westin- it is in a much better area.

The hotel is a dumpy courtyard that has not one attribute that would explain arrogance. Construction across the street had backup large vehicle beeping starting at 7 a.m..  Cleaning crew ignored my do not disturb sign and went into the room and remade the bed.

I am consistently hearing about the lack of  customer service for Platinum members and this is a perfect example.  The hotel  staff lies that the GM will return your call. Hotels need to realize that with the information flow today people are not going to take that treatment. 

I would like to see a hotel reach out to Marriott Platinum members and offer a full conversion to bring them to a company that treats them with respect  and maybe even a real room upgrade that is never given by Marriott.

• Re: Platinum member benefit
      eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Did you call CS, especially about ignoring the DND sign?  Call CS at the number on the back of your card to see if you can get any help.  Was the hotel pretty full or were they remodeling so that they might not have had upgrade rooms? 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...