81 Replies Latest reply: Dec 12, 2016 1:46 PM by 702rugbyref RSS

If you are not offered a Platinum gift, how do you obtain the gift points after the fact?

traveler723 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

If you are not offered a Platinum gift, how do you obtain the gift points after the fact?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Singapore
  • A: If you are not offered a Platinum gift, how do you obtain the gift points after the fact?
    NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate
    As a Platinum member, you can look forward to a Platinum Arrival Gift, offering a choice of an amenity gift or bonus points at all Marriott hotels. At The Ritz-Carlton, you will automatically receive an Arrival Gift of 1,000 points if you are a points-earning member or 500 miles in your preferred airline program on file if you are a miles earner. So to answer your question, if you opted for bonus points and did not receive them in error, simply call the Platinum Elite Guest Services desk at 800-321-7396 and they will gladly post the Platinum Arrival Gift points for that stay. Regards, Laura

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• A: If you are not offered a Platinum gift, how do you obtain the gift points after the fact?
    pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews
    Also according to T&C: The Platinum Arrival Gift 500 bonus points option is available only to Points earning Rewards Program Platinum Members staying at participating JW Marriott Hotels & Resorts, Marriott Hotels & Resorts, Renaissance Hotels, EDITION Hotels, Autograph Collection, and Marriott Vacation Club worldwide. Platinum Members earning Miles can not choose the 500 bonus points. Platinum Members will be compensated $100 for the inconvenience if participating Marriott brand hotel is unable to provide the guaranteed Platinum Arrival Gift. The Platinum Arrival Gift 250 bonus points option is available only to Points earning Rewards Program Platinum Members staying at Courtyard hotels located outside of North America. Platinum Members will be compensated the equivalent of $50USD in local currency for the inconvenience if participating Marriott brand hotel is unable to provide the guaranteed Platinum Arrival Gift.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
    "Platinum Members will be compensated $100 for the inconvenience if participating Marriott brand hotel is unable to provide the guaranteed Platinum Arrival Gift." This is a very interesting and age-old question -- at what point is the hotel unable to provide the guaranteed platinum arrival gift (points)? Possibly if the arrival points aren't posted along with the points earned from the stay? But what if you stayed on points/certificate...the only points you get are arrival points? How long is the member expected to wait for the points to appear on account before claiming that the hotel was unable to provide them?

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews
    "will be compensated $100" - I have never heard of anyone getting compensated - but the language is there, so Marriott must back this up. Even customer service can grant 200-500 points to avoid the cash payout.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
    There was a post within the past couple of weeks reporting the payment of the 100 bucks from a renaissance that didn't post the points. 200-500 points from customer service doesn't compensate for the $100.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate
    Insiders, You've raised some great questions about the nuances of the Platinum Arrival Gift and our hotels' guarantee to deliver, so I reached out to our Elite Program team for some clarification. As you know, our hotels aim for 100% delivery of the Platinum Arrival Gift - whether for a food/beverage amenity or bonus points -- however there are some rare cases where the hotel is unable to deliver the gift or there is a delay in the bonus points posting process. If a hotel does not offer a Platinum member a choice of arrival gift, or if the hotel fails to deliver a food/beverage amenity (if selected) during the member's stay then the hotel will compensate that guest $100 for the inconvenience. As for the bonus points option -- since bonus points can always be "delivered" to a member's account, there is no monetary compensation for "not delivering" Arrival Gift bonus points. If for some reason members do not see Arrival Gift bonus points in their accounts, we ask that they contact the Platinum Elite Guest Services desk at 800-321-7396, and they will gladly post the Platinum Arrival Gift points for that stay. Arrival Gift bonus points should be posted within several days of the member’s check-out, along with other earned points for that stay. In the case of the previous post regarding the hotel that compensated a guest $100 for not posting Arrival Gift bonus points, this was a good will gesture on the part of the hotel but not something they were required to do. I can certainly understand how it does add to the confusion, though, when a hotel is inconsistent with the guidelines. Hopefully this helps to clarify the Platinum Arrival Gift guarantee. Let me know if I've missed any points that still require clarification. Regards, Laura

• Re: If you are not offered a Platinum gift, how do you obtain the gift points after the fact?
    alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

From what I understand, and I did have this issue checked several times to have it reaffirmed, that if a member is not informed at check-in that they have a Platinum arrival gift, that there is a cash bonus offered, and you are to call Rewards Customer Service immediately after it happens to have the situation noted. However, the property has the right to correct the issue during your stay tenure, and if it is remedied, then there is no cash (or cash equivalent) paid.

• Re: If you are not offered a Platinum gift, how do you obtain the gift points after the fact?
    alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Last year, at the Marriott Pittsburgh Airport, I was supposed to be given a $100 paper voucher good toward my next stay at any participating Marriott property based on paying a slightly higher room rate. I never did get one during my stay or at check-out, and when I inquired, was informed that they simply "ran out". I gave them the benefit of the doubt, called twice, and some 3 months later got 2 certificates in the mail, but they only had 20 days left on them to redeem! I contacted Marriott Plat Cust Service, who then got in touch with that property, who within a week sent me a very nicely worded apology card with $300 of Marriott travel cards in it, good at any property that Marriott owns (That's right, I said THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS in cards, plus a voucher for a free movie at that location on my next stay with no expiration. Very nice of them I thought! Great customer service once again! I was happy and impressed.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I checked in yesterday into the Eden Roc hotel in Miami (really great property) and requested the wine and cheese arrival gift. By later that afternoon it hadn't been delivered and I called guest services, whom responded that they will take care of it. When I returned from dinner (Joe's Stone Crab) last night at around 10:00pm, the tray still hadn't arrived.

When I checked out this morning I had the person checking me out make a note in the record. My question now is how do I pursue the $100?

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I forgot to mention that I did bring up the subject of the $100 but the clerk said she knew nothing about it. Thinking that I was the misinformed one, I left as I had to get to the airport.

I'm hoping that my having her make a note in the record will prove that I attempted to collect upon checkout.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Mikie,

As you probably would have already done...give the Elite desk a call. Your description is text book for that C-Note.!!  I'm wondering what "record" the front office person made the note on, hmmm?

On a few threads on here, folks have mentioned that when the same thing has happened to them, the property offered up a nice pile of points in lieu of the actually money. Let us know how your deal gets reconciled, please.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Always, Always, Always call the platinum desk for any problem you are not certain what to do about.

They have ALWAYS resolved my every little and big problem.

Its the whole point of being platinum.

The service!

and the platinum desk has always delivered for me.

I hope that Marriott is taking care of them, as they have always taken care of me.

J. Willard would be proud!!!

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

The LAX Marriott welcomes me as a platinum but many times do not post the points for my welcome gift.  I get tired of calling Platinum guest services to get them and asked about the $100.  I was told that to get the $100 I must request it while at the property.  I don't know while I am there.  I find out when the stay is posted.  I have had other hotels that don't give them as well.  It gets old to have to make a call for 500 pts.  I think that if we have to call there should be some additional compensation.

pltnmprincess Platinum

I actually was paid $100 cash by the Marriott Fremont a few years ago.  I checked in, then a few hours later in my room I remembered I was not asked to choose my platinum gift.  When I called the front desk (late in the evening), they told me to stop by the front desk in the morning.  When I stopped by, the clerk took off for a few minutes and came back with $100 cash.  I didnt even know this policy at the time, so I was pleasantly surprised to walk away with cash. 

dmollner Platinum

I have gotten the Cash equivalent before a few times.  Other times i will let them know and just get the platinum gift.  It really depends on the front desk.  I will usually wait until I get to my room and make sure that they haven't done something special in the room and then go back to the desk and ask about my platinum gift.

Typically if they go for the cash and are very apologetic about it I will say no worries and just let me fulfill the original responsibility.  If they are rude and give me a dirty look about it I make sure they pony up the $$$'s.

Mistakes happen....It is all about how they handle them that makes the difference.

yosof Platinum 1 Reviews

So I emailed Elite Member services on Platinum arrival gift not being applied to a stay last week - after receiving the final bill from the stay.

They forwarded it to the hotel, who said they would adjust it by $10. This was after the stay.

As I understand it, because they didn't correct this during the stay and after the final bill, are they supposed to actually adhere to the Platinum Guarantee and actually give $100 instead? 

eyesee Platinum 2 Reviews

I was just at a Marriott and the front desk associate who checked me in didn't give me the Platinum gift.  Completely forgot.  However, she was so sweet and accommodating with the check-in that I didn't want to get her in trouble.  So, I went back and reminded her.  Also, I stay at this particular Marriott frequently, so I don't want to be known as the guest who causes problems. 

alwweb Platinum 4 Reviews

I kind of feel the same way.  I wasn't asked this past week at the RI I was staying at in IL, but I felt bad making a stink over it, so I just waited until my points came through to double check and make sure that I got it. The guy at the front desk seemed pretty confused and I didn't think about it until I got to my room.  I didn't realize that by not speaking up immediately, I could have negated my ability to get the points later.  The sad thing was, I was really thirsty and would have taken the treat when I normally just take the points.

One location I stay at in Ohio puts a card in with your keys asking you to circle points or snack and then bring it back down to the front desk.  I find that annoying.