5 Replies Latest reply: May 10, 2011 8:55 PM by NathalieF RSS

Why can't you pay the difference between a free cert for level 4 if staying at levl 5

lcohentravel Gold 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi, I am a faithful marriott guest, have Silver status and have booked some of my events inthe past at your hotels. That is why I am baffled. i got a Level 4 free night certificate. i am planning to stay at the Marriott in New Orkleans on Canal, a levwel 5. I want to use points or pay the difference. I was told no. So, I am encouraged to hol my event ina lesser $ hotel? Doesn't make sense and it frustrates me. I have an easier time with other hotel progrms I had also sent an issue about a stay in Boston Marriott and never heard back!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• A: Why can't you pay the difference between a free cert for level 4 if staying at levl 5
    versel Alumni Steward Platinum
    Lcohentravel, This forum and Ask&Answer section is a site hosted by Marriott for the purpose of facilitating communications between their Marriott Rewards program members. From the phrasing of your question(s), it seems to me that your expectation was that you are contacting Marriott Corporate personnel. Most people here are more than happy to answer questions to the best of their ability and provide suggestions on various things. There are Marriott personnel who monitor these forums, but that is no guarantee. If you have a discrepancy or a policy question, you should go through the official channels. Either Marriott Customer Service, or the management of the specific property. That being said, I think this is a great suggestion. I would love to be able to use a Cat1-4 certificate at a higher level hotel at a prorated price. Something like a 80% discount for Cat5 (4/5) or 66% for Cat6 (4/6), etc.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• A: Why can't you pay the difference between a free cert for level 4 if staying at levl 5
    lcohentravel Gold 1 Reviews
    Thanks. I called customer service and got the answer NO so I thought I could voice it to a larger audience, hoping a Marriott rep will see it, get intouch with me and perhaps allow it.

dl2000 Silver 1 Reviews
    Because if you could everyone would be doing it. I think the policy is unfair and it should be revised. I have to go to a conference and my employer is setting me up in a non marriott hotel. If I could have enticed him with only paying the difference, Marriott could have gotten our business because the savings from the employees that have marriott rewards would have kept us within budget. It is called COOPERATION between employee resources and employer budget cuts. I would have felt better staying in the marriott we are going to travel to for three days.

fhllast4ever Platinum
    I agree making the free cert more flexible is needed. We should be allowed to make up for the difference, or do away with the Category 4 and just issue Category 5's. Also, members should be allowed to use the free cert as a gifted day for family members just like earned points, instead of losing it on expiration day. Laura and her team are on this forum - - hopefully they can persuade the corporate office to make some changes (as opposed to us writing corporate office individually).

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate
    Insiders - thanks to all of you for your input on this question. Unfortunately it seems that at this time neither points nor money may be applied to upgrade promotional free night certificates for a higher hotel category. Our systems do not currently support purchasing the additional points needed for a higher category when using these promotional certificates, as the certificates are stand alone rewards with finite terms and conditions. However, this seems like a very reasonable request/enhancement, so I have sent your comments on to the appropriate management team for consideration as a future offering. I am sorry there is not better news in the short term! Regards, Laura

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...