6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 6, 2011 10:43 AM by kahunapremier RSS

I think that it is stupid that you can only book thru the Marriott in order to get your rewards.  One time I called and told them that they were 700+ more for a vacation w/air and they told me I was better off going thru the other website.

luvrhd Gold
Currently Being Moderated
I think that it is stupid that you can only book thru the Marriott in order to get your rewards. One time I called and told them that they were 700+ more for a vacation w/air and they told me I was better off going thru the other website. You should get rewards no matter where you book them

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• A: I think that it is stupid that you can only book thru the Marriott in order to get your rewards.  One time I called and told them that they were 700+ more for a vacation w/air and they told me I was better off going thru the other website.
    nycuws10025 Platinum
    This doesn't sound right. You CAN get Marriott Awards credits for stays booked via Travel Agencies, and on-line Travel Agencies too. . The only exception I can think of (and what I think you might be referring to based on the $700 difference you mentioned in your email) is online sites which sell "Distressed Inventory" (seats, cars, rooms, etc which companies can't fill) Two of the best-known are Priceline and HotWire. . If you were referring to sites like Priceline and Hotwire, Marriott isn't the only company that restricts benefits from being applied to purchases made on them, simply because of the very steep discounts already being offered to "unload" cars/rooms/seats which would have otherwise gone unsold. . Virtually all hotel and airline companies have the same restrictions to products purchased at sites like those I have mentioned. While there may be some exceptions, I'm unable to think of any. . Like it or not, there are costs associated with the rewards programs run by airlines, hotels and rental car companies. And since they have already given you a significant discount on the room, it doesn't make economic sense for them to incur additional costs by giving rewards benefits on that steeply discounted room. . Different prices traditionally enjoy different benefits. For example: - On a cruise ship, if one pays for an inside cabin, one shouldn't expect a double sized cabin with a balcony - On an airline if one buys an economy class ticket, one shouldn't expect a seat in First Class - In a restaurant if one buys the soup, one shouldn't expect the filet mignon. So it is with Marriott and other hotel companies: - If one wants the Awards benefits, one should expect to pay the price for the product that includes the benefits wanted (in this case, the "regular" price). - If one choses to pay the discounted rate, one shouldn't expect to get the perks that come with the higher price which wasn't paid. I suspect that if, in your OWN business, you offered the exact same benefits for the same product but at two VERY different prices, you would very quickly see that your customers would ask themselves, "why should I pay more for the exact same product and benefits?". They would stop paying "Full Price" and only pay the discount rate. Thus, your profit margin would drop tremendously - if you were even able to stay in business at all since all of your customers would only be paying the discount price. . In the case you have recounted, you saved $700. Apparently that wasn't enough. Quite frankly, I would be pleased with that and accept the benefits that come with the discounted price - along with the $700 discount I enjoyed. . If getting the rewards benefits is that important to you, I believe (but am not 100% certain) that Marriott offers the option of purchasing additional Marriott Rewards points. Why not use some of that $700 you saved to BUY the points you need for your next reward stay? . I regret that I can't agree with your position on this, and I have no doubt that this isn't the answer you wanted to read. For which I sincerely apologize.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• A: I think that it is stupid that you can only book thru the Marriott in order to get your rewards.  One time I called and told them that they were 700+ more for a vacation w/air and they told me I was better off going thru the other website.
    luvrhd Gold
    FYI: I did go thru a travel agent and I called Marriott about the difference and I was told to go with them. Don't insult me by talking about comparing economy seats vs first class, soup vs filet mignon. If you feel you have money to throw away to pay more for a trip when you don't have to them go for it.

retired Platinum
    Not sure why you are so angry with the answer provided by NYC. Its clear you have a choice pay full price and receive Marriott points or discounted price and no Marriott points. Herts car rental does the same when you book a car, they charge a higher rate if you want Marriott rewards points. I hope this won't insult you with this example like the soup and other examples but it is what it is. Its nice to have a choice and if one is better for you take it.

nycuws10025 Platinum
    First, my apologies for what I wrote initially as having been taken as an insult. Be assured that none was intended. Although I did use the word "you", it was intended as a set of generic examples, not something specifically directed at "you". Please note that I have edited my original response to the non-specific "one". Although the language now looks rather stilted, that was the original intent despite the use of the word "you". . In your original post, you said you were advised to use the "other website". I based my initial answer on your having been told to use a website and I surmised that the website to which you were referring might be HotWire or Priceline. . In your second post, you said you used a travel agent. If you did use a travel agent and not a website, having that information in your original post would have been helpful for those of us who try to help with answers here to give you an answer which was appropriate for your situation. , If your travel agent is getting his/her inventory, packages, products, etc. from any vendor which deals in "distressed inventory" you won't get Marriott Rewards benefits as Marriott has published their Terms & Conditions which specifically state that purchases from those vendors are not eligible. . If your travel agent gets his/her inventory directly from the companies which deliver it to the customers (Marriott, Airlines, Rental Car companies, etc.) you are eligible for Marriott Rewards benefits. . We are absolutely on the same wavelength on saving money whenever possible - especially in the current ecconomy. Be assured that I have mastered the concept in all areas of my life - including finding the best prices for Marriott hotel rooms that I can. But since getting my Marriott benefits is important to me, I have eliminated any vendor that the Marriott T&C says is not eligible for those benefits. I apologize once again for your having been insulted by what I wrote and assure you that there was no intent to do so. Please be aware that, except for those posts made by "Marriott", all the rest of us are Marriott guests, just like you. We volunteer our experience and expertise to help answer questions asked by others. Never having met you or interacted with you on this site before, I certainly have no reason to want to insult you. . Be assured that to avoid any possible misunderstanding or perceived insults, I will refrain from attempting to use my 17 years as a Marriott PE and 30 years experience in the Travel Industry to answer any of your questions in the future and hope that will satisfy you.

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews
    While I understand your frustration, I must say that I agree with my other two insider colleagues who provided explanations to you. On rooms alone, Marriott actually does a great job of making sure that they compete with travel sites by offering their Look No Further rate guarantee which, if I recall correctly, matches the lower price and takes an additional percentage off, thus making the room rate even lower. This does not apply to some of the deep-discount sites, but it does apply to many of the others. I have actually saved a lot of money over the years by taking advantage of the Look No Further discount. I still get my points (fewer of them because of the lower price) and I still get my night's credit towards my elite status. Finally, I get to have my reservations all in one place - on my Marriott Rewards account status page. Hope this helps.

kahunapremier Platinum
    Insiders posters were spot on with their recommendations and something to consider, especially with all the detailed provided.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...