31 Replies Latest reply: Aug 21, 2012 2:12 PM by lone6star RSS

Is there a lifetime Gold membership and what are the criteria?

jfbrown46 Gold
Currently Being Moderated
What do you have to do (nights, points accumulated level, etc) to earn lifetime Gold Elite

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• A: Is there a lifetime Gold membership and what are the criteria?
    blava007 Platinum
    Lifetime Platinum status a member must have 12 years membership with at least one membership year as a Marriott Rewards Platinum elite; 1,000+ qualified hotel nights; and earned 2,000,000 points. Lifetime Gold requires 12 years membership with at least one year of earned Gold elite; 800 hotel nights; and 1,600,000 points. Lifetime Silver requires 12 years membership with at least one year earned Silver elite; 600 hotel nights; and 1,200,000 lifetime earned points.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• A: Is there a lifetime Gold membership and what are the criteria?
    kahunapremier Platinum
    Blava007 gave the correct answer, but a bigger question I have, why settle on Gold? Go for Platinum!

• Re: Is there a lifetime Gold membership and what are the criteria?
    theseeker888 Platinum

congrat on your upcoming lifetime status .  Still long ways for me because of the years .

goestoeleven Gold

Currently "Lifetime Scrap Iron" ... 10 years away from platinum ... prepare the red carpet!

SirDesktop Platinum

Has anyone here actually received their Lifetime Silver or Lifetime Gold cards?  I'm just curious if they just automatically send them out when you hit the requirements or if you have to know about it and contact customer service.  I am shooting for Lifetime Platinum, but I don't think I am going to meet the points or nights requirements for a while.  Probably have the 12 years under my belt though.  That would be nice if I could work my way up through the ranks on the way to Platinum.

erc Platinum

Sir Desktop et al.

As the old saying goes, "be careful what you wish for....". As a lifetime plat who has been in the program from the first year (Honored Guest/Marquis), I too, wistfully waited to reach the top of the loyalty pinnacle; only to be met by ever eroding benefits. My concern about all of our flailing (and you certainly weren't - welcome aboard btw) about the apparent decline in Marriott customer service toward its most loyal members is that I believe it seduces us into thinking that by pointing out, Marriott will actually do something about it - and if they don't, we get frustrated over the obvious error in judgement and wear ourselves out. Marriott is run by some very smart folks, (granted, who may be proven incorrect). They certainly are cognizant of our ongoing concerns about the decline in customer service toward their most loyal core of customers - the fact that it remains often unaddressed; removal of bogos rooms/meals, removal of weekend breakfasts, sharp decline in upgrades, rapid increase in hotel category ranking, resorts who don't care whether you're Platinum or Priceline, and virtually every poll that Jasper has posted running large majorities but, of course seeing no change, leads me to believe that it's not a 'material' issue to them. About the only upgrade I can think of is the listing of all upcoming reservations at one time in your personal account.

In a period where even Marriott promos have become fewer and fewer, with more stringent requirements, the core of Marriott Insiders with significant purchasing power doesn't seem to be one of their current key target audiences. In a bit of a marketing paradox, it seems the stronger the performance, the less value we are to them. It appears instead they would rather pursue 'greener' marketing pastures, especially with their brand extensions which quite frankly, seem to be 50-50 about us (perhaps due to newness, perhaps due to 'who cares'). As disappointing as all that is to me, I'm not even whining (fool me once...), but focused instead on capturing the best experience. That's why especially to me, (losing the going forward trade off leverage of my previous thirty years of business travel, thus, pretty much tied to Marriott) this forum grows more and more important for squeezing out value (and best locations, service etc). The sad part to me, is as I stated above, is that several terrific insiders who fought the good fight and had tremendous insights, have dropped out, probably somewhat related to frustration over lack of change (and often lack of response) in the decline. So Sir D until you reach lifetime plat, keep on keepin' on, we can use the insights.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Erc

Well said.  I'm not sure I agree that polling by 'elite' members should affect company policy, but i would at least expect some dialogue on the subjects. That is what frustrates me the most, the 'crickets' from corporate.  As far as the idea that Marriott would prefer to chase the 'newbies' as opposed to providing for their 'regulars, please allow this political comparison.

While each of the parties state the obvious to their core constituents,  they spend the vast amount of their campaign coffers on the 5,6, or 7% of the voting public that are independents.  They are confident, as is Marriott, that their strongest supporters are 'in the bag' and the real prize is the voters (customers) they currently do not have.  II can actually appreciate their thinking on this, but feel there is a major flaw there.  If the so-called independents are offered a better deal by the competition, they are going where the prize is bigger.  They don't know, and, I would argue, don't care that Marriott is consistent in its performance and offers a fair product at a fair price.  They are solely interested in who 'buys' their business in the most appealing way.  In politics, the parties offer particular constituencies targeted 'goodies' to win them over.  What goodies are Marriott offering to win travelers' hearts????

BTW, SirDesktop  -  It appears that Marriott only sends out your lifetime elite card once you have failed to meet, or otherwise be awarded, the level you have achieved lifetime status on for the current year.  For example, suppose you have achieved Lifetime Gold.  Now suppose you do not achieve that level in 2012.  Most likely, Marriott will, in a show of good faith, award you Gold status for 2013 based on your past loyalty.  Now suppose that in 2013, based on your stays, you again do not qualify for Gold.  Marriott may, in fact, again award you the Gold status for 2014 based on prior loyalty, or, they may then choose to not do so.  If they choose not to renew your yearly Gold status, then they will activate your Lifetime Gold status and send you your card.  I'm not sure if all that is correct, but I believe it is......

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

The lifetime platinum was automatically sent to my husband since neither of us were aware that he'd stayed the 1,000 nights.  I don't think he's gotten the 2 million points, though, since most of his stays have been at RI or TPS so he could have the 2nd BR for our son and me.

I have to edit my answer.  Y'all are right.  Only notification of lifetime attainment was sent to my husband.

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

jfb and others,

The reactions to your questions suggest two things to me:

1. That the issue of whether/when lifetime status is awarded is probably more complex than most of us realise; and,

2. That it is still an emotive issue, in part because of its material/financial significance particularly in ageing societies, but also because MR/MI seem a little reticent about setting out in writing all the conditions that apply to the provision.

One small example of the "subtlety" both of the provision and its operation: Individual A, holding a gold card and getting within reach of a lifetime gold status (800), receives a communication from MR announcing that he/she has been given a complementary upgrade to Platinum status. The first reaction would probably be "Great, thanks very much". But wait a minute: what this means - in MR terms - is that A is now classified as a Platinum Elite member with the following implications - (a) the lifetime target is now 1000 nights stayed, and (b) he/she will not qualify for a lifetime gold card when reaching the "800 nights stayed" target. There is clearly a finely-calculated trade-off here - between on the one hand having to achieve a higher level of stays and on the other receiving a higher level of benefit (e.g. pts) over this 200 night period. Given that, for many MR members, the distinction between Silver and Gold is more significant than between Gold and Platinum, it would be interesting to know what, if anything, A could do to revert to Lifetime Gold status.

Best wishes,

A

theseeker888 Platinum

Hello all. It's actually not complicated at all. As mention above the lifetime have no added benefit what so ever. The only time it will be useful is when you are doing less nights with Marriott. Also the lifetime calculation is simple also it ts calculated base on your total nights stayed, total points earned and years of being a member. Hope I explain it ok this time.

playbyplay Platinum 1 Reviews

arkwright - or whomever

Just now trying this site for the first time. Appears to be informative and look to use it as a helpful tool.

Thanks everyone for being so candid since it's great to see pros sticking together

Question - where does one look to see exactly how many "lifetime" nights/stays/points/ etc... they have accumulated towards any lifetime goal

Your patience with a rookie (electronically speaking) is greatly appreciated

Please and thank you

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

playbyplay

welcome aboard.  simple question with a simple answer.  just go to the marriott.com homepage, then go to the my account drop down, then go to the my account review page and you will see your lifetime numbers.  give it a try.

shoeman

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

And it's those years when you won't be traveling so much that accounts for Lifetime status value.  I presume that the rewards offers will be available when we're unable to obtain the nights in a given year and those offers are a great incentive to obtain lifetime.  In the last 2 years, we've spent more than 800 nights at Marriott properties, but those will decrease almost overnight once he quits working on site, at least.