11 Replies Latest reply: Jun 19, 2012 11:34 PM by lone6star RSS

What does Silver Status mean??

cshell Silver
Currently Being Moderated

What does Silver Status mean?? To what does it entitle us? Why should I buy it back?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• A: What does Silver Status mean??
    zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews
    Its the first level of the Rewards status ladder :) http://www.marriott.com/rewards/member-benefits.mi

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: A: What does Silver Status mean??
      sdcinok Gold 1 Reviews

So, I just signed up for the Marriott Rewards Visa Card.  Looks like that gives me 15 credits every year towards my elite status, which makes me a silver status guy every year.

Looking at the list of Silver benefits, it looks like the only real meaningful thing for being Silver level is you earn 12 points (20% bonus) per dollar spent verses the normal 10 points.  Not bad...  And I guess there might me an occasional e-mail with additional percs...

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Hi sdc, welcome to the Insiders site.  Be sure and study the benefits of the different elite levels through the link posted by zukracer.  Of course, the higher the level, the more benefits you receive.  If you travel frequently and stay at Marriott properties, you can achieve the higher levels faster.  Using the Marriott Visa also helps you earn points faster.  We have enjoyed the perks which being a platinum member provides throughout the United States and Europe.  We look forward to many more years of loyalty.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

sdcinok:

You also get additional credit for one elite night with every $3000 you spend on the Marriott Visa card.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Sdc,

There are two credit cards. One has the name "Premier" associated with it.... if this is the one you signed up for, you'll also get a free nights stay every year at a cat. 1-5 hotel.

As far as the Silver status. My daughter is an infrequent business traveler. Most of her stays are for leisure. She has the card, she get's Silver each year and stays in Marriott properties when she can. In two years, she's built up her points to nearly 100,000. I don't know if she'll ever be a Gold or Platinum...probably not. She still maximizes the points and maybe every 5 years she'll take a free vacation.  The 20% bonus really helps.

sdcinok Gold 1 Reviews

I did in fact sign up for the "premier" card....  I'm not so sure that about the "free" night each year since that card has an $85 annual fee!  But, I guess the "free" night stay lessons the blow a bit.

You know, I travel some on business and a bit on leisure every year.  I'm taking the family to the Marriott Frenchman's Cove resort in St Thomas for vacation in June so I thought I might as well sign up for Marriott Rewards and get the Premier card.  With the 50,000 points for the credit card and what we'll earn in St Thomas, I'll come back with enough points for a freee 3 night Level 7 stay.  I'm looking at either Vegas or maybe Grand Cayman in the Fall.  That's not a bad "reward" at all....

Nice sdc, very nice and good planning on your part.

jedi_wong Silver

i have a marriot card and silver status because I wanted the yearly free night but the free night always expires in 6 months and not always accepted at my hotels of choice.

Is there any way to switch this as my 6 months always end up in the winter when I have to work? I would rather have the free night in the summer for vacations with the kids but don't want to stop the card and benefits. Is that the only way to stop the credit card and then start a new one?

Also is it true that every 3000 is a free night? I thought that was a limited promotion only.

Jedi.... the $3000 spending amount on the Visa will give you a night credit toward elite status...not a 1 night free stay credit. For example, if you stayed at Marriott properties 6 nights in the 1st Quarter and spent $3000 during the quarter on your Marriott Chase Visa Card, then your account will show 6 nights plus 1 for the spend or 7 nights total.

I think you can call Chase and get your anniversary date changed. That way your 6 month certificate may fall during the period you would prefer. I'm not certain of this, but it's worth the phone call. Also, there have been folks on here that have called Chase or Marriott Rewards and were able to extend the expiration date for an additional 6 months. One of these should work for you.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

I saw on another posting that if you call up CS you cna get the Free Night extended for another 6 months.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

the priority late checkout is nice

and so are the weekend discounts.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...