28 Replies Latest reply: Feb 3, 2016 4:10 PM by peymanagement RSS

Is MR going to carry over excess stays to next year as they did last year?

skyking697 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated
Is MR going to carry over excess stays to next year to reach elite level as they did last year?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• A: Is MR going to carry over excess stays to next year as they did last year?
    tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews
    Yes, they have extended the Elite Rollover nights program for nights stayed over the status attained. If you do a search for "Elite Rollover Nights" there will be quite a bit of discussion that you can check out regarding this program. Hope this helps.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: A: Is MR going to carry over excess stays to next year as they did last year?
      Jfrank Gold

Are you saying that your nights reset every New Year and you only carry roll over nights forward? This is a complete con if it is. I am missing 11 nights stay from last year and fear I have lost them due to this roll over. I first stayed with the Marriott 07/06/15 and would have thought that you had a year to attain your points, not 6 months.

• Re: A: Is MR going to carry over excess stays to next year as they did last year?
        carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi, Jfrank!  Welcome to the Insiders Community!  You've probably had the chance to take a look around and have seen this is a great forum to discuss all things travel related.  From sharing your experiences and recommendations to learning the Rewards program, we cover it all!  I'm carat and I am one of the moderators here, along with AndrewT, deannad and lindseyh.  If you ever have any questions or concerns, feel free to reach out to any of us.  We're here to help!

Just in case you'd like to take a peek, I've included links to our Getting Started Guides. 

Getting Started Guide

Getting Started Guide (Advanced Users)

In regards to your post, I'd like to help provide clarity.  I've gone ahead and sent you a private message to get the conversation started. 

Again, welcome!  Looking forward to hearing more from you.  nkelieebwith w

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

How is this a con? The rules are clearly stated. Every loyalty program I know resets at the end of the calendar year. If you misunderstood how the program works, that's a shame, but it's not a con.

Spend a little time reading some of the posts on this site. You'll find a number of tips on how to take advantage of some ways to raise your status to Gold more quickly. It's too bad you feel like you've been deceived. Folks on this community can answer all manner of questions. It's a great place to go for help. It's also useful to post complaints (though it's probably not the best venue if you expect to have something done about them). Most of the participants are other travelers. While Marriott does have a few folks monitoring the site, it's not really a way to communicate with the company.

Good luck navigating the ins and out of the rewards program. This site is a great resource to help figure it out.

Jfrank Gold

You must use a limited number of loyalty programs then as the ones I have reset on the anniversary of you gaining that award. This goes for Emirates where I was a platinum flyer and Star Alliance where I am gold.

I do only have a few, but all reset at the end of the year.

Regardless, just because you thought the program reset on anniversary date rather than calendar year end doesn't make it a con. That would imply that Marriott purposely deceived you. I don't believe that is true. I'll agree that it's an unfortunate misunderstanding. I experienced something similar related to rollover nights a few years back. I dropped from Gold to Silver and thought I would rollover any nights in excess of 10. What I didn't know was that when status downgrades, no rollover nights are given (ever). Sure enough, Marriott made that clear, I just didn't read it. I considered it a lesson learned. At first I was made a Marriott, but it was my own fault. I've shared that story before in hopes others don't make the same mistake.

seatexan Platinum

This is confusing.    "when status downgrades, no rollover nights are given (ever)." 

I am trying to nav the roll over nights things.  I am pretty confidant I can get to gold this year... but it will be near the end of the year.  I know that things will reset at the new year (sending me back to Silver), so I was trying to figure out how I could stay at gold, or at least be close enough with roll over nights.  Maybe I will send you a PM with my situation and you can help explain.

hassmh Gold

My understanding of the program (never been above Silver yet, so could be wrong), is if you reach Gold during 2016, you will maintain Gold through all of 2017, with the downgrade happening in 2018 if you do not have enough nights in 2017 to retain Gold. Essentially you achieve status this year, it remains in effect for the remainder of this year and all of the following. What bejacob is saying is if you did not retain Gold in 2017, then drop to Silver in 2018 and receive no rollover, regardless how many nights you had in 2017. The more experienced members will certainly correct me if I'm off on this.

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

If you achieve gold (from silver) by the end of 2016, you'll retain that status through 2017. The "reset" only applies to rollover nights. Your newly achieved status will remain.

peymanagement Platinum

SeaTexan, bejacob will explain the whole roll over thing much better than I can, I wanted to correct something that I think that you said in your post implying that you think you would be sent back to silver at the new year even though you made gold at the end of this year.

If you achieve gold towards the end of this year you will not be cut back to silver in the new year. You will be gold until March 1, 2018.

seatexan Platinum

peymanagement OHH!!!  Ok well this helps out a good deal! Thank you! Now to figure out how to stay gold with the help of roll over and my 15 Credit Card nights...

Wait... Edit: "The "reset" only applies to rollover nights."

foxglove

Say I have 20 nights by the end of this year.  I make Gold -due to roll over and CC plus these 20 nights (yay!)... what happens to these 20 nights?

The best way to think about earning status is this.

You're not earning status for the current year, you're earning for next year. The good news is that when you qualify for Gold (or Platinum) you get to enjoy your status as soon as you cross the appropriate number of nights. Looking at the number of nights needed to renew status is not how much I need to keep it this year. It's for next year.

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

"You're not earning status for the current year, you're earning for next year."

That's easy for a plat to say. Because "[t]he good news is that when you qualify for Gold (or Platinum) you get to enjoy your status as soon as you cross the appropriate number of nights," bottom-feeders are always looking at current year earnings as well.

Right you are, foxglove. It was only a couple years ago that I started out as Silver (where I had been for some time). County collecting has been quite good for my travel nights.

I was pleased to see that the free certificate from my CC is now good for a year instead of 6 months. As you and I know, there are plenty of places to use those. In the past, finding the right time to use them has been the hard part. With more time, that become much easier.

nights.PNG

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Whoa there bejacob, I remember you struggling to get to Gold, now youre rolling over nights as a Plat. 94 EQN, that's close to "big dog" territory...

I remember that as well. Last year was a good travel year. Should make renewing Platinum for next year easier. Seems you experienced something similar the year before.

YEs, it is strange how travel goes. Typically I struggle to get to 50 nights even with the 10EQN from my UK credit card. In the past I organised £80 "meetings" to get those required nights to stay at Gold. Ironically since making LTGold numbers following my 2014 nights rolling over to 2015, I've been able to keep Plat, last year due to the rollovers and by the looks of it next year I'll benefit from Marriotts 3 year averaging to keep hold of Plat and drag myself to LTPlat sometime in 2018!

peymanagement Platinum

Hi Bob, Is the "Three year average" real? I have never seen it anywhere. My outlook for 2016 is down, but I had a good 14 and 15 so could sneak in if there is an average. The Canadian credit card is not as good as the US one in that there is no credits for spend. I think the UK one is worse as well.

My thinking right now is for next year do the points buy back.

II've not experienced it myself, but according to another thread Marriott confirmed to a well respected member here that 160 nights (I assume real butt-in-bed) over the past 3 years would be enough to renew a plat that failed to make the grade. Assuming I stay about 40 nights this year I will reach a total 160 for 2014, 2015 and 2016, and those 40 will be done, but I am very unlikely to get to 75, or much above 50, so I'll report back on that next year at this time!

Jfrank I'm a member of BA and United frequent flyer program as well as Marriott and IHG hotel schemes. All reset counters back to Zero on 1st January allowing you to keep the status earned during the previous calendar year. It's not a con, it's how Marriott works it's scheme. As for going elsewhere, I'm not too sure which hotel scheme you'll move to since I think they all follow the same calendar year qualification route, though the experts on SPG, Hilton, Great Western and Hyatt at Flyertalk will be able to provide answers on each programs year-end.

I do notice youre a silver right now so any nights in excess of 10 will rollover to this year abd if thst hasnt happened, give Matriott Customer Service a call

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...