19 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2013 11:07 PM by eb5147 RSS

Courtyard Rome Central Park. I have read good comments and really bad comments. Is it a good property?

donalcon Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Courtyard Rome Central Park. I have read good comments and really bad comments. Is it a good property? Is the hotel clean? Is the shuttle good?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Rome, Italy Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Rome Central Park
New York, USA
  • A: Courtyard Rome Central Park. I have read good comments and really bad comments. Is it a good property?
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
    I currently have a reservation there for November. I stayed 12 days at the Courtyard Central Park Rome (not airport FCO Courtyard, where I had a very bad experience) in June 2009 and it was amazing. Terraces overlooking the Vatican and Rome, a really good restaurant, and thoroughly modern, large rooms (frankly the beds are a whole lot more comfortable than the Grand Flora). The downside is you're not IN Rome. But there is a bus that runs on the half hour to the Ottaviano metro stop, and easier still in many ways, especially when the bus stops running is the FR3 Gemelli line, just 3 minutes walk around the corner. Plus there's both an ATM and supermarket right across from the Gemelli train station (which costs the same as the metro to Rome) so if you need to stock up on anything or even 'eat in' in limited ways it's very easy. I would not hesitate to recommend it highly. That said, if it's your first trip to Rome, you'll probably want to stay in the city. The Grand Flora is wonderful, but expensive, and as I said, the rooms are not as large, nor the beds as comfortable, but it is truly a grand hotel. There seems to be a new Autograph Collection hotel also on the Via Veneto, but I'm trying to find out more about it. Still, since I go to Rome frequently, I expect I will stay at the Central Park. Buon viaggio, ProfChiara PS -- I suspect if there were any negative comments, they were simply about distance, but like I said it's not hard.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: A: Courtyard Rome Central Park. I have read good comments and really bad comments. Is it a good property?
      techie Platinum 7 Reviews

It is interesting to see the reviews after having stayed there.

The view was nice, The room was well laid out, I appreciated the ice machine - but they were not on every floor as someone else said.  However, it was about 5 feet from my room!

The air conditioning was not so good.  I made a mental note to not stay in this hotel in the summer as the air conditioning would not have a hope of working.  The internet also sucked big time.  It would work well for a few minutes and then fail.  At the Marriott before and after my stay at this courtyard,the internet was just fine.

The bed in my room was pretty hard - I am not sure if there is a mixture of beds or not, but mine was not so comfortable.

The supermarket a couple of blocks away was great.   Didn't use the bank machine, but good that it is there.

The location - I can see where people would have trouble with that.  It is a nice view,but not near anything.

I think I'll try another hotel in Rome if I go there again.

• Re: A: Courtyard Rome Central Park. I have read good comments and really bad comments. Is it a good property?

Hi Techie,

Last time I was there was almost four years ago to the month, and I found it lovely -- and had a really great bed, especially compared to the Flora where the beds are very old and too hard for me even in the suites (unless that has changed in a year).  I thought the restaurant was great, though you don't want to spend all your time in a suburb. Still, for the price, I think the Central Park Marriott is a great deal if you know Rome.  If it's your first time, it's worth paying for something much more central.  And yes, the nearby supermercato and ATM is great!

ProfChiara

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

HI Prof Chiara,

Thank you for your response.  I was quite surprised by the bed being so uncomfortable as I thought Marriott had standardized and that this was an issue of the past.  From what you're saying, there is a place in Rome where they were even worse.

It was my first trip to Rome and this past weekend was very busy - especially for hotel room availability...big volleyball tournament, tennis tournament, etc.  On the Monday morning, about 2/3 of the people at breakfast were police - and decked out in crowd control gear.

The breakfast was good there and the one meal I had in the restaurant was good also.   I would have preferred to be closer to the centre of things, but the hotels were too busy to do that.

I went to the supermarket once, it is close enough to be convenient, and I did see the bank machine on the way to it.  Howvever, there is now a bank machine right in the hotel - it appeared to be a bank one and not a third party.

The internet was really disappointing as in Italy I can't easily get a pre-paid SIM card for my mobile and depended upon the internet for communication.  It failed in this regard miserably.  There is not a problem with my equipment, it worked well in the hotel before and after.  I realize it is a challenge for hotels to get internet but some handle it a lot better than others.  However, I am very much inclined to stay at hotels that get their internet "right".

I must say that the room was well laid out, the balcony was a nice touch and the view was wonderful.   I'm sure it is a problem at every Italian hotel, but the horns honking, even late into the night...was a familiar sound.

I suppose the hotel isn't a bad choice for you if you go to the Vatican.  I went there and took the train and then walked.

Thanks again and have a nice day.

• A: Courtyard Rome Central Park. I have read good comments and really bad comments. Is it a good property?
    mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews
    I agree with the Professor on all accounts. I stayed there for a week last year and had a very good time. Yes, it's true that it's not in town, but I used points for two rooms and with what I saved over a similar stay at the Gran Flora I was able to take the family to the Caribbean for a week. The property itself is extremely comfortable, large American sized rooms and excellent air conditioning. The best part was it had something that most European hotels don't - an ice machine on every floor. Each room also has a mini-fridge and the supermarket across the road makes it easy to stock up on items without having to pay convenience store prices. Transportation into town is what you make it. The walk itself to the station is very short but the wait for the train can be a pain depending on the time of day. At night it runs every half hour and twice we missed a train by seconds and sat and sat and sat. In the mornings the trains arrive about every 12 minutes and that worked out well. The staff at the hotel was excellent, especially the front desk crew. Their English was very good and easy to understand. The hotel has a breakfast buffet and while a little on the pricey side, it offered up excellent selections. Would I stay there again? Under the same circumstances (traveling with my two teens) I would say yes. If it were just my wife and I, I would stay at the Gran Flora.

• Re: Courtyard Rome Central Park. I have read good comments and really bad comments. Is it a good property?
    travelalltime Platinum 4 Reviews

We stayed here for 5 nights. Based on previous posts, the commute into town did not seem that bad. However, it was not all that great either. The shuttle bus to the Vatican is 3 euros per person one way, so for a large group (family) it seemed a bit much (30 euros a day/rt), versus 16 euro p/p for a 7 day rail/bus/metro multi pass. By taking the shuttle you still need to buy a ticket on the bus/metro to get to where you really want to go (unless it is the Vatican, which will work for one of your days in the city). While the train station is extremely close and easy to get to, it does not take you directly into town; it is a rural train and you have to change to get on the metro. Fairly easy. But on returning, not all of these rural trains stop at every stop (the CY stop, Gemelli) and in the evenings, they run every 30 minutes, not 15 minutes. The announcements are made in Itialian, so you have to ask other riders to make sure the train you get on stops frequently and is not the direct train (otherwise, you’ll ride 30 minutes out and 30 minutes back in—costly mistake in time). You have to pay attention to the return train times to figure out when to start heading back or just be prepared to wait (harder with children). Overall, not that convenient IMO.     The rooms are fine, with double beds, great balcony, large bathrooms for Europe, and a great view overlooking a large park (St Peters is a smaller dome on the horizon)—3 miles away. We asked for connecting rooms, but were told they were unavailable. Service is fine, the staff generally helpful, but a few are a bit rude. Just go to the next person at the desk and ask them. If you buy a bottle of wine and want to drink it on your balcony, you’ll have to take the bottle downstairs to the restaurant for them to open it; they won’t let you borrow a wine opener. Room service is quick (30 minutes), but PLEASE don’t order a pizza—I think Stouffers would be better! The gnocchi was very tasty though! The Carrefour (large grocery store with everything) is an 8 minute walk, just across the street from the entrance to the train station. There are two small, quaint restaurants within a 5-10 minute walk. We ate at the one the CY recommended twice, and it was yummy both times! 60 euros for dinner for 5 including a liter of house wine for 6 euros. Extremely cheap and very drinkable!     The CY’s breakfast was very good for a buffet for 14 euros per person. While I think the hotel is fine overall, it was just too inconvenient for a family trying to see Rome every day. I would recommend a flat in Rome, if the other hotels (like the Grand) are too pricey.     Lastly, the Roma pass was sold out in town, so buy them at the airport! Termini did not have them either. We were also there during a “public transportation strike” posted in the elevators of the CY (good!), so our train/bus/tram pass became useless. HOWEVER, “public transportation” in this case, only meant trains, as we later found out. So the shuttle bus would have been a last ditch effort to make it into town in order to catch a bus! We found this out after making alternate plans to visit somewhere outside of Rome (bad!). We would have much preferred another day to tour Rome!

• Re: Courtyard Rome Central Park. I have read good comments and really bad comments. Is it a good property?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Thanks for all the information!

Many of us our not "Commuter's" and there is nothing wrong with commuting, but we have too much luggage and don't schedule very well. 

Again, thanks for the information, but I am leaning toward the Grand Flora.

travelalltime Platinum 60 Reviews

The CY is ok, a little beat up, but it's fine.  We called the front desk and they told us how to take the train.  They recommended a private hire, but with 5 of us, we would have had to schedule a van (I think it was 70 or 80 euros), versus the 1 euro one way cost on the metro.  If you want to go into town everyday (which we did) and use public transportation (which we did), then I think this hotel is just too far out for family with young children.  In comparison to the Grand (which I have not stayed at), or the Marriott Park (which I also have not stayed at) that has the CL (a real bonus), I would not recommend it for a family wishing to see Rome.  If you only have time to go to the Vatican, and use their shuttle service for a day, then I think that would be easy, but I would think most want to see more sights and stay longer in Rome.  Just take a look at the metro, and you'll see that Gemelli is not on the main line, but the R line and so it just takes time to get out and get back--not difficult, but a little too cumbersome for my tastes.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Travelalltime,

Thanks for the information!

The CY information you provided clinches it for me, no CY in Rome.  I am sure there are people who would not mind commuting, but it is not for me.

Thanks again!

No Jerry, you need to stay at the Grand Flora.  Just don't get sucked in by the 'fancy' restaurants nearby.  They are overpriced, undergood, and they try to make you pay an extra tip that is forbidden by Italian law.  You won't find that the further you go down the Via Veneto into real Roma.

PS - The Central Park Courtyard is actually a superb hotel with great views of St. Peter's and Rome and the park. There are lovely balconies, a supermarket and ATM and train station minutes away, but you're not in central Rome. So it's easily accessible to public transport as well as the hotel buses, but it is NOT for people who truly want to experience the grandeur of Rome, especially for the first or second time.  For me, it's just fine, since it's so much less expensive than the Flora, which I love, and I know my way around.  And the rooms and the balconies are fabulous.  But if you want to be in Rome, stay at the Flora.  There's a new AC hotel in Rome (not far from the Flora and across from the American Embassy) but Arkwright checked it out and was not overly impressed.  So if I'm in Rome for work, esp. at the Vatican Archives or Library, which are quite close to the Central Park Courtyard, that's the place for me to stay. If I want to add a day or two for fun or to be made feel memorable, it'll be the Flora.

I forgot to mention the first, most important word to memorize in italian: GRAH' ze-aye (grazie).

Enjoy!

nelson Platinum

Thanks everyone for the post/s as it related to hotels in the Rome area.  My wife and I are headed to Rome for the 1st time and will be giving the Grand Flora a try.  Someone suggested to stay away from the expensive restaurants in the area of the Flora...any recommendations on great restaurants that are reasonably priced?  Thanks Nelson!

nelson Platinum

Thanks everyone for the post/s as it related to hotels in the Rome area.  My wife and I are headed to Rome for the 1st time and will be giving the Grand Flora a try.  Someone suggested to stay away from the expensive restaurants in the area of the Flora...any recommendations on great restaurants that are reasonably priced?  Thanks Nelson!

nelson Platinum

Thanks for the reply everyone.  My wife and I will be in Rome for the 1st time later this year and will give the Grand Flora a try.  Any good recommendations on restaurants that are reasonably priced, with excellent service and food?  Thanks a bunch...Nelson

nelson Platinum

Thanks for the reply everyone.  My wife and I will be in Rome for the 1st time later this year and will give the Grand Flora a try.  Any good recommendations on restaurants that are reasonably priced, with excellent service and food?  Thanks a bunch...Nelson

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

We were there in 2011.  We found a few places we enjoyed.

Heading down the Via Veneto, take a right on Via Liguria, just before the Boscolo.  Keep walking past Via Emilia (the stairs on the left take you to the Hard Rock Cafe and the Via Veneto) and past Via Cadore.  About 150 feet past Via Cadore, on the left, is a small alley which leads to stairs, down to the Via Veneto.  On the right before you go down the stairs is Ristorante La Scala (http://mangia-bevi.com/ristoranti/roma/ristorante-la-scala/2675, Via di Sant Isidoro).  We had a wonderful meal there, it is an attractive restaurant, with very nice staff and without all the tourist traffic you get at the bottom of the stairs.

We also had a great meal on our 25th anniversary at Ristorante Sacro e Profano, Via dei Maroniti 29, 00187 Roma (Restaurant Sacro & Profano | EN)  We were glad to see most of the patrons were italian.  It is down a small alley off Via del Tritone (which is what Via Veneto turns into, if you hang a right Piazza Barberini.  It is about a block off Via del Tritone, between Via Traforo and Via della Stamperia.  I believe, if you are coming from Grand Flora, down Via Veneto, then right onto Via del Tritone, there will be a Sephora store on your right.  Turn left there and immediately after crossing Via del Tritone, turn right at an angle down the alley Via dei Maroniti.  If you kept going, you would be heading toward Trevi Fountain - a beautiful site, after dinner, all lit up.

We also found several fabulous, and very local, lunch spots (probably open for dinner too).  One  fairly close to the Forum and Coliseum and another near the Piazza Navonna.

Turning off Via del Fori Imperiali, near the Forum, onto Via Cavour, walk down Via Cavour to the second or third alley on the left.  Go in one block at it is right on a corner.  Run by a wonderful couple, the food is perfectly roman - simple and delicious.  It is Taverna Romana, Via della Madonna dei Monti 79, 00814 Roma.  Try the tonnarelli cacio e pepe or fettucine alla romana.  the bruschetta, carciofi alla romana and the carbonara were all wonderful, as was the vino rossa della casa!

Da Tonino is a little tough to find but worth the adventure.  It is at 19 Via del Governo Vecchio, which is an alley, heading west from Piazza Navona.  If you go to the southwest corner of the Piazza, go right, to the end, then follow the alley at a slight right.  It is a litte less than 300 yards through the alley from the corner of the Piazza.  It is in a white block building on the right, across from a brown brick 4 story, very old building on the left.  It is a few doors down on the right, after you pass Via del Corallo.

We are booked for a trip back to Rome next April and these are on our list.  All reasonable and all enjoyable.

Hi,

I agree with PSUDad.  Don't be tempted to dine on the Via Veneto.  Even if you don't care about your money, you will not get quality food there. At best okay.  Stay away from Harry's bar at all costs (right across the street from the Flora).  On a really bad day at home with bad ingredients, I could do better.  Some are better than others and you can see some of my comments on tripadvisor (as ProfT), though they're older.

Some of the best restaurants can be had simply by going to certain parts of the city (Trastevere and Monti) and avoiding the most highly touristed areas.

I think either GemPrincess or NewHilton compiled a list of restaurants.  I also find tripadvisor very helpful in this, even finding new ones in Venice.  The sheer bulk of comments outweighs insider plants, plus you can specific cuisines, cost, location, etc.

Likewise, the different travel and food magazines like Conde Nast Traveler, Food and Wine etc. often have special issues devoted to the city.  Food and Wine did Rome not too long ago.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Rewards deal at this hotel.

From September 18 - December 4, 2013, stay three consecutive nights Thursday - Sunday and get your fourth night free.  Our offer includes:

- Accommodations in our deluxe room for up to two adults*
         - Daily breakfast per adult

After a day of sightseeing, relax in one of our newly designed hotel rooms, wind down in our lobby bar or get pampered by the Mediterranean delights of our restaurant Moscati.

A limited number of rooms are available for this promotion.  Please see below for more terms and conditions.

For Reservations:
    Click on "Check Availability" to make an online reservation, or call 1-800-MARRIOTT from within the US, or one of our toll-free worldwide reservation numbers outside the US and quote the Promotional Code for this offer.

• Valid through:   December 4, 2013
    • Promotional Code:   M11

````````````````````````````````   OR,

Get away for a two nights stay at Courtyard by Marriott Rome Central Park and make your journey unforgettable.

From October 24, 2013 - January 12, 2014, stay two consecutive nights and our package includes:

♦ Accommodation in a deluxe room for up to two people
    ♦ One complimentary dinner on the night of arrival
    ♦ Daily breakfast during the stay
    ♦ Late check out until 3 pm

Rates change according to the number of people sharing the same room. Double occupancy will be higher than single.

A limited number of rooms are available for this promotion.  Please see below for more terms and conditions.

For Reservations:
    Click on "Check Availability" to make an online reservation, or call 1-800-MARRIOTT from within the US, or one of our toll-free worldwide reservation numbers outside the US and quote the Promotional Code for this offer.

• Valid through:   January 12, 2014
    • Promotional Code:   M12

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...