40 Replies Latest reply: Sep 25, 2015 11:58 AM by padmaker RSS

UNACCEPTABLE INTERNET SPEED.  Is it me, or is there a consensus that Marriott has not kept up with today's generally accepted minimum speeds for broadband?

nachman Platinum
Currently Being Moderated
UNACCEPTABLE INTERNET SPEED. Is it me, or is there a consensus that Marriott has not kept up with today's generally accepted minimum speeds for broadband? I've experienced performance on par with dial-up. Like to see a minimum of 5Mbs. How about you?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• A: UNACCEPTABLE INTERNET SPEED.  Is it me, or is there a consensus that Marriott has not kept up with today's generally accepted minimum speeds for broadband?
    lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews
    I would agree. I was recently at a Courtyard in Miami and it way). It was so slow in the lobby. The hotel room was a bit faster.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• A: UNACCEPTABLE INTERNET SPEED.  Is it me, or is there a consensus that Marriott has not kept up with today's generally accepted minimum speeds for broadband?
    unclephil Platinum
    Annoyingly slow. In Phoenix I connected to the hotel next door and had much faster connection and overall speed.

theduk Platinum
    I travel to Washington State, Alaska, California, Texas, and Hawaii and the internet speed is slow at all locations! Sure wish they would upgrade soon! It's pretty sad when I can stay at a lesser hotel and get better internet!

bigmrm Platinum
    I find internet speeds to vary considerably but they are seldom much faster than dialup -- with a few nice nice surprises. The Northeast seems to be the worst, but recently had 1000KBs at Amherst, MA, so go figure. Also, in my experience, properties using IBAHN, especially in the Northeast, have the worst connection speeds of all. I find IBAHN spends a lot of time shuffling from one DNS lookup site to another and it severely slows me down. It's almost always faster to use the internet on my mobile phone. It doesn't HAVE to be that way -- I have seen good speeds via IBAHN. Now I'll call the property ahead of time to check and if they tell me they use IBAHN I go elsewhere. One thing I've noticed is that some properties reset their internet once or twice a day, sometimes an hour or two after checkout time, sometimes in the middle of the night. Internet is often much quicker right after that since it knocks off a lot of people loading it down. Another thing I notice is wired connections are usually significantly faster than wifi. I STRONGLY prefer wired for security reasons anyhow. All of this are my experiences -- I imagine that of others may vary.

• Re: A: UNACCEPTABLE INTERNET SPEED.  Is it me, or is there a consensus that Marriott has not kept up with today's generally accepted minimum speeds for broadband?
      profdigory Member

I would prefer to use the wired connection in the room also. I have a travel router to supply a secure wireless connection to multiple devices. However, at the last two Marriott's I stayed at, one in Illinois and one in California, the wired connection did not work. I had a 169. IP address meaning the wired was connected to something (a switch or hub somewhere), but not getting an IP address. Wireless worked fine but had no security.

I realize a wired connection might be insecure also depending on how it is all configured and who else is plugged in, but it should at least be reliable.

techie Platinum 7 Reviews
    With few exceptions, it has been my experience that Marriott generally has less than acceptable internet speeds. When I've had to stay at other properties (non Marriott) this is seldom the problem. The story I get at Marriott is that they are "going to upgrade this summer" or they are working on it, etc. This is one of many things that needs to be addressed.

mlongoria Platinum
    Yes! I have just signed up for this Online Traveler Community (Thing) and I am so glad to see that this is one of the things people are talking about. I travel all over and use Marriott almost exclusively... Yes there is a systematic problem with slow internet speeds at ALL of the Marriott properties I've stayed at. I truly hope (MARIOTT CORPORATE HQ) reviews these posts and acts on the problem. People may leave Marriott because many of use rely on our computers for our business or work......

mccraer Platinum
    Agreed. High speed is always advertised, seldom delivered. Other curious internet policies include having to log back in after 3 hours which I encountered in Guelph, Ontario. Supposedly, that was for 'my safety' and to limit bandwidth use. Not at all acceptable.

mccraer Platinum
    Actually, I stopped staying at a particular Marriott property that otherwise was quite pleasant due exclusively to slow speed. It was just intolerable. I spoke to the staff. They said they checked it in the afternoon and it was fine. No kidding - the hotel is empty in the middle of the afternoon!

browell Platinum
    Not the best answer maybe but I've had this problem with hundreds of hotels Wi-Fi signals and solved it for me years ago; IF the hotel has wired access, I carry a Travel Router. Currently I use the NetGear WGR101 ( http://www.netgear.com/images/success_travel_router18-8087.pdf ) which in it's travel pack is smaller than a paperback book. I simply pull it out, plug in the power supply and connect the included CAT5 cable. I have set up it's security to only work with my laptops Wi-Fi signal, and I'm at full speed. I broke my Apple Airport Express (yes it works with PC's or Apples) and it was even simpler, just flip out the power connection, connect the CAT5 cable. Just two examples, and these are older (the WGR101 is still -G tech) but there are dozens of new -N models out there for less than $100 that would give you an option.

• Re: UNACCEPTABLE INTERNET SPEED.  Is it me, or is there a consensus that Marriott has not kept up with today's generally accepted minimum speeds for broadband?
    skyy Member

It is terrible. I'm at the Alpharetta Marriott on Windward Parkway. Getting 489k down, and 460k up.

Looks like it is just 1 T1 with AT&T.

They are charging $12.95 for it. Complete rip off. I called the front desk to complain.. They are sending an engineer, like that will do anything.

I used to be platinum with Marriott and left for Hitlon and Starwood. Now I remember why. The room looks like something from the 80-s.

• Re: UNACCEPTABLE INTERNET SPEED.  Is it me, or is there a consensus that Marriott has not kept up with today's generally accepted minimum speeds for broadband?
      tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

skyy,

I don't saw if you saw the other postings on the site about Internet at different locations, but apparently every hotel has been in charge of selecting and using their own internet providers.  That would explain why it is so poor in so many places.  I believe they are going to move to having it managed by corporate with a more standardized approach.  Guess we'll see if that starts helping eventually.

dennypayne Gold

I think you're going to be sad when you compare Hilton property Internet speeds.  Poor Internet service is the chief reason I'm giving up my Hilton Diamond status this year and moving to Marriott.  I've gotten consistently poor speeds at all Hilton properties, and during at least 50% of the stays I made at Hilton properties within the past 6 months I had to call the support line to even get the Internet to work at all (I am a network engineer, so it's particularly galling to have to deal with poor Internet service when I know precisely how to deliver good service).  Responses to my complaints to customer care have basically blown me off and said it's the individual hotel's issue.

I'm getting 1.6Mbps right now at the Fairfield in Ann Arbor, which is acceptable for 8pm.  I've stayed here for the past several weeks and have not had to engage support once.  I stayed at the Hampton a couple of blocks over a few weeks ago and the Internet was once again barely useable (I wish I had run a speedtest there, but I'm confident it was sub 500kbps, based on the performance comparison on a page I regularly load).

Nonetheless, Marriott corporate should take heed and start enforcing some brand standards as well, because poor Internet service *will* make me take my money elsewehere.

majorwilliams Platinum

I joined this forum just to add my 2 cents as well.

I agree - a travel router has greatly improved my Internet stability. And once you set it up once, it's just plug and play for every stay.  I bring my Xbox with me as I travel 3 days a week and playing on the Internet is vital for my sanity.  However, with that said every single Stay slows to .3mbps or less around 8pm no matter where I stay.  I am strongly considering finding a new mega chain that can support my Internet needs. Blegh.

gojka Platinum

Forget about fancy movies etc. The last two stays , Courtyard DC and residence Inn New Orleans, both had iBahn and I couldn't even get email. Staff was always nice and trying but they couldn't do anything, there just was no bandwidth. Occasionally would get on, then back off. And hint to Marriott staff, don't ever, ever again tell me to call technical support who will waste your time for hours changing your computer that can never overcome the lack of service in the first place. This is ridiculous and should be recognized by Marriott as a huge huge problem because I couldn't get my work done while at either hotel. Why can I go to Starbucks and get what I need, but at a Marriott ( one more night and I have lifetime Platinum so I have stayed at a lot of Marriotts) I cant even get on to do emails.

One outcome is that Ibahn is going to move me to other hotels, if not a Marriott then so be it, I have to be able to work on the road.

Marriott needs to solve this so that at the least basic work can be accomplished and not just make smiling excuses for the inadequate systems.

PS my expenses wont support paying more for internet, they will just say use another hotel meaning NOT a Marriott.

dcr022002 Platinum 16 Reviews

I have complained regularly and tonight I am in another Marriott, using my hotspot.  I cannot even get on to Hotmail, let alone VPN through the Fairfield Inn internet.  Last week same thing.  The only way to solve this is to go to the "Hotel Reviews" area and review the particular hotels.  I actually got a call from Marriott,...the first time ever someone has responded to me!  However, I am Platinum Elite, I live in these hotels, and I think it is worth 10000 points each time that I cannot use the hotel internet.  Now they are telling me that Marriott has changed internet providers and is having troubles with the new provider.  Please.

I just checked into the Marriott in downtown Knoxville, TN, where I have complained before.  I know I complain, but I am PP, I stay about 120+ nights per year and I am very loyal...the kind of customer I look for in the business world.

Anyhow, the internet signal here in my 9th floor room is too weak to get the hotel check in page.  I am sick and tired of slow speeds, which I cannot use.  I would like a 10% discount each time this happens.  I'm also sick of the excuse that "Marriott is making us change providers."  We didn't see this coming?   No one else has ever complained?

I think it amounts to false advertising for any hotel to have wireless guest internet on their hotel page and the guests have to use their own hotspots.

I'm really, really sick and tired of this if anyone cares to respond

captbigguy Platinum 4 Reviews

Not only do I get slow speeds, but in the room I was in at the CY Vinings, GA, I barely got a signal.  This was in a SUITE!  (Thank you for the upgrade!)  I was lucky in that I did not need the net for any work this week, but this coming week will be different.  I have to have signal and speed to do my work.  Guess I better pack a cable just in case...

With that said, I'm going to look more into the travel router now.  Good workaround for those of us IT contractors who need this for work...  Thanks for the input on them!!!

johnyaya85 Silver 1 Reviews

I completely agree.  In all the various Marriott's I've stayed in the speed could stand much improvement.  I would like to see something in the range of 200-300 MBps.

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

Maybe it is because I don't use Internet for much more than basic web surfing and email.  At some properties though, I seem to get booted out a lot (just can't keep a connection over the Wi-Fi), which is very frustrating.

captbigguy Platinum 4 Reviews

I'm not sure I have ever seen a number actually put in the T&A portion of Marriott as to the "high speed" of the internet service there.  Of course the actual speed (Mbps) is only part of the factor as bandwidth certainly comes into play when you have a 90% occupancy vs. a 35%.  When I see folks throwing out numbers, I wonder how many would agree on what speed they consider to the "high speed" or what minimum they expect?

A generally accepted level for streaming would be at least 4 Mbps download, but we all would like to see 10 or 15 or even more.   Heck, I want 50 all the time...

How many of you actually clock the speed the connection is giving you?  I'd like to see some numbers you are experiencing to get an idea just how slow they are.  And what do you think you should be getting to be acceptable as "high speed?"

Well, let me give you an example of what is "Unacceptable".

It is "unacceptable" when you go to update an app on your ipad and it won't update no matter how long you wait - and you can't use it, so you drive to a Barnes and Noble and go on their internet to get the usage of your device back and the "Marriott Residence Inn" in question tells you that they "just upgraded and fixed their internet".

Another example would be when your wifi doesn't even connect from the desk and you have to go to the area of the doorway to hook up and even then, it is very very slow, and your colleague in another room can't get anything done either at the "newly renovated Courtyard by Marriott".

A third example would be when you try the "basic" level internet that is supposed to be good for web pages and emails, and it doesn't even work to the point where you can call up a low graphics web page, and you come to the realization that if that Courtyard by Marriott is so inaccurate about that, then why would someone pay for their "high speed" tier which is likely to be equal to or less than what the free tier promises.

Or how about the Courtyard Central Park in Rome where the procedure is the all too familiar one of check into the room, go up the elevator, fight with the internet to get it working, it works not very well, drops off, you call the front desk, they say nothing is wrong and finally when one posts a tripadvisor report about it, they admit that there has been problems with their supplier.  Not only that, their beds are hard as a rock and when you mention it, they completely ignore the fact that you mentioned that the BED is hard as a rock and mention that they use "Marriott BEDDING". 

What Marriott should do is make these properties have internet that works AT the hotel's full CAPACITY and boot the non performing ones out.  Of course, they would likely soon be a 500 hotel chain rather than thousands....

That said, I have actually run into four Marriott properties that actually have upgraded their speed.  And I do patronize those.  However,  they need to speed up this program about a thousand times faster, the cost in lost hours is huge.

Im in properties several times per week. Its after 8 and i had to switch to my cell phone hot spot because the hotel internet strength disintegrated. Im really tired of little or no speed in marriotts. If the hotel's service us that bad then i want a refund.

Go down to the front desk with your bags and check out.  This is what I now do at hotels which do not have working internet.

Actually I did this at a Westin that was holding a conference I was attending. and their internet was screwed up.  They wanted to check my computer (which was working fine).  I moved to a Marriott where the net was working and tested my equipment from there!

There are some Marriott properties that have fixed their internet problems, but we as customers have to make it very clear that poorly performing internet will not be tolerated, period.

Jsucool76 Gold

If your idea of travelling is sitting in your hotel room watching a movies all day instead of exploring where you are, then maybe you should invest in a personal hotspot or use your cell phone as a hotspot instead.

Just my $0.02

iNetSpy Platinum

You want the good news or the bad news? /grin

Hilton isnt any better, if one of the entrepreneurs could come up with a system that makes dollars and sense for the hotel folks I think they would implement it.

I dont know if it is state or local regulatory challenges or even at the federal level. If they give us full speed internet, like we would have at home (100 mb/s minimum) how would they make money on TV or Telephone?

If they enable us to use tele video/teleconferencing on top of Netflix, Hulu plus and my beloved Amazon Prime, they are circumventing the local cable company, which somewhere downstream gets paid for commercials you are no longer forced to watch. It is a tanbled Inter-web we weave...

Lord help you if you stay in a locale with Union, because that brings a whole other side of hurt. I would go with the suggestion to get your own hotspot. You still have to pay for data, but the hotspot is usually free. Wait, what you dont want to pay the extra money for the amount of data your hotspot uses? <insert a kosher accent> "A-ha..." You see, there we are... now multiply that by however many rooms the hotel has and THERE is our issue, someone eventually has to pay for it...

Hope to see you somewhere around the Marriott world soon!  Semper fidelis et paratus! /ALE

padmaker Platinum

I totally agree with you.  This is just ridiculous.

Marriott claims of high speed internet is absurd.  I have been spending half a year in Marriott hotels for the last two years.  I stay at one in Bowling Green, Ky which originally had internet speed of 25mbps.  I know because i check speeds frequently.  Then they started the new system which allows you free access @ 1.5mbps and if you want to pay $5 a day you can have a whopping 4.35mbps.  I am platinum so I actually get this for free.

Here is my problem.  First of all this is ridiculous.   The Government needs to step in and sets speeds in order for a hotel to claim high speed.  Anything that is slower than my cell phone should not be considered high speed.  I mean i get anywhere from 7.5mbps to 12mbps with my cell phone.

Second my issue is I can go to other hotels and get 12 to 25mpbs internet speeds for free, no charge.  I know because I tested some of the other hotels around here.

If I am spending half my life in a hotel, then I want one that will accommodate me.

I have to say the hotel I am staying at, the people are very friendly and the atmosphere is almost like being home.

But I am getting to the point that I want to be able to do things in the hotel like I do at home.  I am a gamer and when I am in Kentucky 3 weeks, I want to be able to play games like Black Ops or Destiny.  After doing this for 2 years this is becoming a serious point for me and the internet speed here is really starting to frustrate me.

My next trip here I have to stay 3 weeks.  Well I need to play and I am going to look for another hotel because I am done.

And imagine if I wasn't Platinum level I would be paying $5 a day for this 4.35mbps internet.  That is like stealing, don't you think.  As it is I just about can watch Netflix or use my Vudu account to watch movies.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...