9 Replies Latest reply: Jun 25, 2011 10:21 AM by steffannieh RSS

Questions on the Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa in San Diego.

boomer Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am staying 5 nights (using points) at the Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa in San Diego with the family. Any feedback or tips on this hotel? Do they have a Concierge level/lounge?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
San Diego, California, USA
Coronado, California, USA
  • A: Questions on the Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa in San Diego.
    iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews
    This is a very nice low-rise resort. Hopefully you will get a room with a view of the harbor and downtown San Diego. I would call and ask ahead of time. It's a very relaxing place. Because it is a resort, there is no Concierge lounge. According to the wife, they have a good spa, and they also have tennis and a basketball court for the teens. It's within walking distance to a couple decent restaurants (Peohe's, Il Fornaio), and a quick drive to the historic Hotel Del Coronado, and some other restaurants the family will like (Burger Lounge, on the main drag on Coronado, is one that comes to mind). You can also take their water taxi across the harbor to the Marina Marriott, within easy walking to anywhere in the Gaslamp Quarter (restaurants/shopping), and also Petco park, if the Padres are in town. There's a fee for the taxi, but I don't remember it being too much. Hope that helps! Let me know if you have more questions!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

boomer Platinum
    Thanks for the input! I was hoping for a Concierge lounge as the free breakfast is a bonus. Even without that, it looks like it will be a very nice place.

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews
    Did you consider the San Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina? It shares the water taxi with the Coronado resort, and does have a concierge lounge. And, although I haven't stayed there, I hear they treat elites extremely well. Just thought I'd throw in another option!

rose49 Platinum 1 Reviews
    similar to previous answer but there is also decent shopping close to the resort...go out the front and it os to the right close to the bay.... or possibly just to the left on the bay side.... even a Burger king if the kids want fast food. The spa is great and the staff is excellent.. Try the trolley instead of driving

curiousone Platinum
    We stayed for a weekend using points in March 2010, no upgrade on our stay. It is obviously an older property that has been rehabed. They did a nice job, but I was not impressed. The rooms did not feel like a Marriott resort. I felt like it was off the beaten path and had to drive everywhere. Coronado did not seem to offer much after the Hotel Del. I much prefer the San Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina. We did a weekend there on points and we did get an upgrade. There is much more to do in downtown San Diego. Where ever you go, enjoy it!

steffannieh Member
    I just got home from my trip there, so I checked out this morning. When I checked out, I had another confrontation with the same employee, Hannah, who checked us in, and refused an upgrade when we checked in, claiming that the rate I was paying for the room should be enough, even though the resort was very empty throughout the week I stayed. She confirmed what I knew, that the resort stores all of its sheets and towels in the parking garage, located in the basement. If you remember my first post, each night, the sheets smelled of exhaust and gas fumes. Additionally, the sheets used by the hotel are not the Marriott brand, and for the tier of hotel, it ought to. I don't even think the hotel would be in compliance with a Coronado health code if we are sleeping on sheets that hold gas fumes. Each day, maintanance hoses the parking garage floor with water, and the water goes under the fence containing the sheets and towels. It was absolutely gross. Then, I wondered where the washers and dryers were. I saw none. Additionally, after I took my pictures and posted on this blog, the hotel began to be more careful to shut the doors where these things were stored, clean and dirty. I do not believe 'hiding' is the right answer. They should do something about it. Finally, I noticed that before they began to make sure the doors were shut, there were never any pillows in the dirty areas to be washed. I believe they may seldom clean the pillows. They do have a concierge, but it is open to all.

steffannieh Member
    It's only nice if you don't mind inhaliing exhaust and gas fumes in your sheets each night. They store all hotel linens and towels in the parking garage, which is in the basement. I hated it!

countryjim Platinum 1 Reviews
    steffanish Two things about upgrades: 1. They are offered to gold, platinum and premier members when upgraded rooms are available. (See below for what might be considered an upgraded room.) Your MR login shows a standard member logo, whereas elite members' logins always show a gold, platinum or premier logo. If you a member of one of these elite categories, I suggest you talk to customer service. 2. As we have said numerous times on Insider, an "upgrade" does not necessarily mean a suite. E.G., there are many other "upgrade" elements, such as a better view, a better location on the property, a larger room, special room features such as an in-room jacuzzi, etc. etc.

steffannieh Member 1 Reviews
    County Jim, As you can see from reading my posts, my highest concern with Coronado's Marriott was the fact that they store guest sheets and towels in the parking garage basement, in an area 'cornered off' by chain link fencing. The fumes from guests' vehicles are absorbed into the sheets and towels, so much so that when we slept, we were inhaling the exhaust fumes from within the sheets. This cannot be healthy. My objection is to how the hotel does business, how it really treats guests. My view was fine. By the way, I was told on the phone prior to leaving that room upgrades were given on request if space permitted. My nights were something else. I was very uncomfortable sleeping in vehicle exhaust. I always look forward to sleeping in Marriott qualifty sheets and bedding. What I got, and all other guests got, was Motel 6 quality sleep. The sheets were not even Marriott brand sheets, and except for the bed scarfs, none of the bedding was Marriott.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...