14 Replies Latest reply: Jul 4, 2011 10:20 PM by wingslv RSS

How come new AC hotels in Spain are not earning points until late 2011?

happyexplorer Silver
Currently Being Moderated
How come new AC hotels in Spain are not earning points or any Marriot rewards until late 2011?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Spain
  • A: How come new AC hotels in Spain are not earning points until late 2011?
    arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews
    Hello Happy Explorer, That's a very interesting question, but I'll allow Marriott Intl to describe all the technical, organisational and logistical issues to be handled. May I add a couple of supplementary questions to yours: 1. Assuming that there are good reasons for the delay, could Marriott provide a more specific date (either now or within the next couple of months) when the new AC by Marriott hotels will offer "points" and "nights stayed"? The reason: many people now plan travel itineraries several months ahead and access to the full range of rewards is an important consideration. If Marriott wish us to display "brand loyalty", then it has to provide all the incentives to justify our taking that decision. 2. Given that there will inevitably be major challenges in setting up AC as a Marriott operation, would it not be possible to set up a "credit bank" arrangement under which nights stayed/points earned between, for example 1st September and 1st December, could be added to our accounts once the new system comes on line? Thank you.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

wingslv Platinum
    I am really upset and still can not understand this situation?! If on Marriott.com site is one hotel available to book-than i am sure that it is already has a Marriott Standard,service,points system etc. For example-how comes-that you can book Hotel Ambassadour in Antibes,France-and it says afterwards-it is not a Marriott Brand and so on.If i am registered on MARRIOTT.COM site-i am absolutely sure that i book a Marriott Hotel, and not a third part hotel.For such purposes are a lot of hotel booking sites!!

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
    Although Spain is AC's major market there are other AC hotels outside of Spain I will use IF I GET POINTS. Right now, no way. I don't understand it any better than you do. If you're bringing a new hotel franchise on board, then your members should get the points based on whether it's like a JW or a Residence Inn. I simply won't stay there until they give the points. I have been doing my own travel planning for years and almost always like to stay at a Marriott if there is one; but if there is not, or if it does not give points, I won't. ProfChiara

happyexplorer Silver
    I agree, I'll be in Spain this summer and am not staying at the AC hotels, simply because I cannot earn any points. I am very disappointed and try to only stay at Marriotts. I wish they could give me credit at a later date, for nights in June, but its not going to happen. I'm not asking for a free room, just points for my stay. I'll just stay elsewhere!

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews
    Add me to the list of those not going to Spain this year. I'll wait until next year when I can redeem points at AC Hotels!

nycuws10025 Platinum
    Let me add my voice to those above. . If the AC hotels are available for booking via Marriott.com and Marriott reservations, to my eye they should be full-fledged Marriott hotels with all the benefits that Marriott Reward members have come to expect. . I do have a trip to Spain booked and since there are no Marriott Rewards benefits being offered yet, I've booked competing brands where I can earn priviledges and benefits for my loyalty. It's sad because I would prefer to have kept this trip in the Marriott family. . Marriott really missed the boat on this. (I should have included in my original response, that I am not looking to redeem points for a "Free stay". I would have been paying for these nights, Actually I am paying for these nights - just not at Marriott Brand hotels after my first night after arrival in Barcelona.)

To Marriott Rewards et all, I hope you are noting the deep disappointment being expressed by many Insiders about the way the AC joint venture is being launched. Perhaps you might refer this on to Ronnie Maier and his colleagues as a matter of some urgency.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate
    happyexplorer, Arkwright and Insiders, As many of you have noted in this thread, our new AC Hotels by Marriott brand launched back in May, and I would like to provide an update to address your concerns regarding the brand’s participation in Marriott Rewards. While I have not received a firm launch date for when AC Hotels by Marriott will join Marriott Rewards, I can assure you we will provide that information exclusively within the Insiders community as soon as it is determined. This far out, it’s difficult to commit to a specific date with all of the systems upgrades and integration required. I can say that we're targeting a late Q4 launch if that helps with your travel plans. We understand that not earning Marriott Reward points or Elite credit is an inconvenience for many of you, particularly as you are making travel plans, but I am sure you could imagine all the work involved in synchronizing and integrating different systems along with extensive associate training for 85 hotels. After careful consideration of our options (including short term solutions like have been mentioned here), we are actively working on our infrastructure and training schedules so you will soon receive the seamless experience you expect. Stay tuned for more information! Andy

Andy, Thank you for your response. I/we may not like all of its content, but the very fact of its existence is an important statement of the seriousness which Marriott attaches to the concern we have expressed. Yes: we appreciate the extent and range of the challenges the AC/Marriott team are currently facing; but it is also important, not least for the ongoing credibility of this site, that genuine concerns are recognised and, as far as is realistic, taken into account. We look forward to your continuing "progress reports". Thank you

nycuws10025 Platinum
    Hi Andy, . First, thanks for the update with the information you've given us so far. I look forward to more information when you get it. I fully acknowledge that the folks who are integrating the two brands may not be forthcoming with their progress reports as quickly as you (and we) would like. I might suggest that our message to them would be: "We need the information and the integration to happen sooner!" . I would like to further suggest that an announcement such as the one that AC hotels are joining Marriott but full benefits won't be available until late 2011 may actually be a disservice to both your customers AND to Marriott. When we see AC hotels available for sale at Marriott.com and read posts here on Insiders telling us that AC hotels are becoming part of the Marriott family, that sets a certain level of expectations for your customers. When those expectations aren't met, you only hurt the Marriott brand image in the minds of your very best customers. I feel that such is the case with Marriott's acquisition of the AC brand. . While I fully acknowledge the challenges of integrating technical systems and training current AC Associates so they will be successful as Marriott Associates, the fact is, that hasn't been done yet, so, at least to my mind, THESE ARE NOT YET MARRIOTT HOTELS. (sorry for the all caps, there is no option to put italics in posts on the Q&A pages) and therefore, shouldn't be marketed as such. . For future acquisitions, I would suggest Marriott give serious consideration to making sure the brand is fully integrated FIRST and then sold/marketed SECOND. No sneak previews. No selling the product at Marriott.com until it meets your (and our) standards. As I think is clear from the posts in this thread, one standard which isn't being met is Marriott's failure to provide MR benefits for guests staying at AC hotels. . Perhaps you could consider an interim solution that MR members join AC's loyalty program (if one exists) with the promise that after you have fully integrated the brand, that any benefits earned in the AC program will be moved to our Marriott Rewards accounts? . Until I see that my loyalty to Marriott will be rewarded for stays at your new AC brand, I will book my travels to Spain at other brands (yes, even lowly Accor or Best Western) where I will gain some personal benefit for the stay. . In the present situation, my booking a stay at an AC brand hotel only benefits one entity: Marriott. MR members get none of the benefits we have come to expect. . And, for me anyway, just spending my money at a "not-really-yet-a-Marriott" simply because Marriott owns it but hasn't yet fully integrated it, just isn't enough.

Very sorry to see that the AC Hotels will be part of the Autograph Collection... I'm sure it will end up costing us many, many more points to redeem points for Rewards stays! What happened...did Marriott automatically throw them into the Autograph Collection because of their name, AC Hotels? Very disappointed... once again. Seems to be the norm more than not!

NH.... Is it possible the case that only a small proportion (around 4/5) of the AC hotels will be placed in the Autograph category, and that the remainder will continue to be classified as the equivalent to either a Marriott or Renaissance?

Arkwright, that would be great! I'd be a very happy camper if only a handful of the AC Hotels are classified into the Autograph Collection.

wingslv Platinum
    Hello Andy, if you are not ready with a trainning for a stuff-so please don't make an ad that it is AC Hotel Marriott!! It is very confusing! I do understand that marketing strategy is to have more hotels in the areas where Marriott is not exsist,but, you have to put those hotels first after a propper trainning and when all systems are working! That seems not really professional, and upset your rewards customers!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...