10 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2012 11:55 PM by tryt53 RSS

Lousy Beds at Marriott budget properties?

eddieb Platinum
Currently Being Moderated
My last 3 stays at Fairfields and Springhills have been disappointing due to terrible beds. Is this common for others, or just my bad luck?
  • A: Lousy Beds at Marriott budget properties?
    dfwscott Platinum
    I have to agree...the beds are getting bad. I recently stayed at a Holiday Inn Express and the bed was miles ahead of the Fairfields and Springhill Suites.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

irmiep Silver
    I agree with you. Not only are the beds uncomfortable, they are also very small.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

canucktrvlr Platinum
    I've had the same experience at two recent Courtyard stays. In my opinion, it is simply that the beds are getting old and in need of replacement.

• Re: A: Lousy Beds at Marriott budget properties?
      eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

FF in Wyche, VA and Columbia, SC are good, but both are new and green.  CY in Atlanta, GA Airport area was recently remodeled and great.  CY in North Myrtle Beach, SC last year was great in a nice upgrade room.  RI in Montgomery, AL and Columbia, SC are new mattresses and great, both being the new decor. 

FF in Ocala, FL were too small so we didn't sleep well with 2 to a bed. 

We've also had to leave many HI without even checking in after asking about bed sizes.  That lesson learned after a sleepless HI in MO near Hermann.  I can't remember the name of that city right now, but it was between St. Louis and Hermann.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

eb,

The only Marriott properties are in St. Charles, Mo. or O'Fallon, Mo., before you get to Hermann.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

No.  This was Holiday Inn.  Bad night in a small double bed for 2 people, but it was in O'Fallon, so thanks for that.  Most of the Holiday Inns we had to bypass were in VA on the way to Massanutten, VA until we found the FF in Wyche, VA.

• Re: Lousy Beds at Marriott budget properties?
    tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I've found that the newer the property (new or renovated) the better the beds in FF or Spring Hill. I had great beds in Indy FF (new hotel), Orlando FF (more than one, all newer properties) and a Peabody, MA Spring Hill.

Have these properties that disappointed others been in older locations? After a poor bed experience in an older FF in the Gainseville FL area I try to book newer properties if I stay at the budget brand.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

tef,

i have noticed the same thing.  I too try to look for newer FF's when I stay in them.  I may start calling ahead next time, to see how new they are, or when their beds were renovated.  I can put up with a lot, but a poor bed, or too much noise, are the 2 things that give me the hardest time to get good rest.

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

Haven't noticed the beds as much as the chairs/couches.  Residence Inn and Townplace Suites especially, but also others.

I agree that it's primarily that the items are just old and worn out.

And I can't believe how often I have to plug in lamps!  Is someone unplugging them thinking they're saving electricity?

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Maybe people are unplugging them to plug in other devices, and housekeeping probably doesn't have "check that things are plugged in" as one of the things they check?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...