23 Replies Latest reply: Jul 26, 2013 12:01 AM by jerrycoin RSS

Looking for property in proximity to Arlington National Cemetery for family group of 10.  Suggestions?

187in2010 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated
Looking for property in proximity to Arlington National Cemetery for family group of 10. Suggestions? Would like to know about about properties that are close to cemetery that are family friendly for August service.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Arlington, Virginia, USA
  • A: Looking for property in proximity to Arlington National Cemetery for family group of 10.  Suggestions?
    natcap Gold
    Living in the DC area for over 25 years and playing tour guide for visiting family and friends, here is my opinion; there is the Crystal City Marriot and the Gateway Marriot both in Crystal City which is in Arlington , VA. You would have to take the metro train from Crystal City to Arlington Cemetary which is 3 stops, probably total time about 5 minutes. The metro is in the lower level of of the plaza which incudes an extensive shopping mall. There is access to this area from both hotels right from the lobby. You can review both of the hotels for price, pool, etc. One pool is nicer than the other, but I can't remember which one, so you may want to review the pictures. This would be the easiest and most convenient way to reach Arlington Cemetary. I would wait until after rush hour 9:30 or so before departing your hotel. There is the Key Bridge Marriot in Arlington (Rossyln) area. It is about 1 1/2 mile walk to Arlington Cemetary.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• A: Looking for property in proximity to Arlington National Cemetery for family group of 10.  Suggestions?
    187in2010 Platinum
    Thanks for the Reply....What would be your opinion of the properties in DC area, such as JW or the Marriott's there. Don't necessarily need to be within walking distance as with the Grandparents, we probably won't be walking....

natcap Gold
    I work downtown and know where the JW Marriot is. It is a good location. The other Marriot around 23rd street NW, is near a lot of restaurants. If you plan on visiting some museums you may consider staying downtown, but you would still have to walk to them. The hotels may be more expensive, and you would still have to take the metro to get to the Arlington Cemetary. There are plenty of taxis. Another good alternative is to take a tourist bus. The buses drive the same route all day and let you off at different locations throughout DC including the cemetary. You may jump off and on at each stop for as long as you wish. This is what I do when my parents/in-laws come and they are in their late 70s. You can ask the Conciere about these.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
    Great advice from NATCAP. I like to stay at the Fairview Park Marriott, which is a little farther out of DC, but if you time the traffic situation (not always easy to do), it's a 15-20 drive. Plus, the hotel has free shuttle to the Dunn Loring metro station and pick up also. The rate at Fairview Park, especially the weekend rate, is normally a whole lot less than the DC and Crystal City hotels. Wherever you stay, I personally want to thank you and your family group for taking the time to visit the heroes laying in eternal rest at Arlington. I hope y'all have the time to honor other brave men and women at the WWII, Korea, and Vietnam memorials as well. Again, thank you.

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews
    The Renaissance Mayflower is a cool "historic" hotel right off a Metro stop. (Farragut North I believe) I also 2nd the recommendation for the Washington Marriott on 23rd NW. It's a bit of a walk to the Metro, but it's in the Dupont Circle area, with SEVERAL good restaurants within walking distance.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
    We enjoyed a stay at the Residence Inn in Rosslyn. The staff is very efficient. The metro is close and there are good restaurants within walking distance. We have also stayed at the Crystal City Marriott that someone described earlier. It was very nice. We also stayed at the Marriott at Metro Center, the Residence Inn on Vermont, and at the Mayflower. I have no complaints about any of the properties. We usually try to take a trip to D.C. once a year. We make return visits to some of our favorite places (like the Library of Congress) and always see something new (like the Newseum on our last trip in Octobe. We've also been two years in a row for the 4th of July.

jhaimowi Platinum 23 Reviews
    Crystal City hotels are good, but pricey. A nice alternative is the Key Bridge Marriott in Rosslyn. You can walk to the subway - only 1 stop from Arlington Cemetery. You can also walk across the Key Bridge to Georgetown.

eddieb Platinum 23 Reviews
    Since the Metro provides convenient transport most anywhere you care to go in the area, why not try the Ritz-Carlton Pentagon City? There's a Metro right outside the front doors (literally), and I just booked a Fri-Sun stay in late June at a AAA rate of just $139/night!

wantatravel Platinum
    First, you have to be aware it is going to be uncomfortably hot and if you are not from a place that has heavy humidity, it may affect you some. So probably not a lot of walking unless you like to sweat. Second, it will be very busy in the city, a lot of traffic although the school buses will not quite be out yet, the tourist buses will be. Moving around the city other than metro could be more challenging than expected. I had my wedding reception at the Key Bridge Marriott (it has been almost 25 years now!) so the hotel is gently aged. It has great views of Georgetown, traffic moves, and since it is along the water with high buildings, a breeze can be helpful. The Key Bridge Marriott is the closest to Arlington and quickly accessible by Metro or taxi or bus to any place in the general area. It is probably easier to go toward the city in the late morning than trying to leave the city at the same time. I would recommend the Iwo Jima Memorial on a Friday night during the summer for the Marine Corps tattoo (no cost) again minutes from the Key Bridge.

nycuws10025 Platinum
    I don't have much to add to the hotel recommendations already posted here. I do have a personal like for the Key Bridge Marriott which is convenient to Arlington National Cemetary via the Washington Metro. . With today being the start of the Memorial Day weekend, I feel it is important that we all remember the members of the United States Military who have given much to protect our country and defend our liberty. It is my hope that all proud Americans will take some time this weekend between beers and cookouts and time at the beach or at the ball game to reflect on the sacrifices made by those who have given their time and in some cases, their lives, so we are able to enjoy life and liberty here in the United States of America. . My primary reason for responding is to acknowledge and thank you for the service to and sacrifices for our country made by the member of your family who is at rest there.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
    NYC - I echo your post. To the men and women who have given their lives in service to our great country...brave patriots and heroes all. Hear, Hear!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews
    Couldn't have said it any better. thanks husker!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
    Having gone many times and also taken people a couple of tips: Do not go on an empty stomach! There will be nothing to eat there, it is a National Cem. Likewise, please pay my respects to the second most visited site there, Audie Murphy's grave! I have never had a chance to do that! Please pass on my best for these brave people who served our country.

• Re: A: Looking for property in proximity to Arlington National Cemetery for family group of 10.  Suggestions?
      eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Just about every woman I talk to my age or older had a crush on Audie Murphy.  It was really sad that he was treated so badly as a child just because he was poor.  The town in TX wanted him to come speak there after he was a hero, but he never wanted to go back there again.

From an e-mail.

Oak Ridge Boys at Arlington National Cemetery

I was NOT expecting that ending....

Even though it said we'd be surprised...this is quite the tribute....

Listen to the end, you may be as surprised as I was.

• Re: A: Looking for property in proximity to Arlington National Cemetery for family group of 10.  Suggestions?
        jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

eb,

Great post!

Have not visited his grave in Arlington, but will on the next trip!

Likewise, plan to visit where he won The CMH!  It took place North of Colmer, France.  There is a marker for that area.  Have been to the area, but never took the time to see the area.

This would be a wonderful place to visit next year as I plan to go to Normandy on June 6, 2014, for the 70th Anniversary of D-Day!

doclady Platinum
    There are two new Marriott properties in Crystal City, a Renaissance and a Residence Inn. While I have only toured the Residence Inn, I did spend 9 days at the Renaissance in early April during their “soft” opening and found it to be one of the nicest I have stayed in (this was the 3rd in a series of 5 back to back trips across the country). The majority of the staff were extremely friendly and very well trained, there were a few kinks to be worked out but I’m sure that’s been taken care of. Both have shuttle service to the airport and metro stops, not an amenity available at many hotels in the DC area. The shuttle timing was a little problematic but I’m sure that will be resolved by August. I highly recommend, these new properties: Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel and Residence Inn Arlington Capital View.

nicknewjersey Platinum 1 Reviews
    We stayed numerous times at the Marriott Crystal City which is only a short train ride from Arlington Cemetary. The hotel is connected directly to the metro station Crystal City. Several times they hosted big family reunions while we were staying, so I believe this would be a good bet. There are several other Marriott properties in Arlington.

• Re: Looking for property in proximity to Arlington National Cemetery for family group of 10.  Suggestions?
    missgee Silver 40 Reviews

I highly recommend the Residence Inn Arlington Pentagon City.  Since you're with a family group it would be the perfect place since you have separate bedrooms and living rooms with kitchens.  I'm going to cut and paste my review as it's been buried by all the sweepstakes entries (lol) but I've also attached the link to that section.

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/marriott-hotel-reviews/waspt

Highly recommend this hotel. Suites are sleek and modern, and very clean. Breakfast buffet is a challenge as there are far too many people for the space, and the food isn't all that great. However, the hotel is directly across the street from the Pentagon so I highly recommend taking a walk over there (or have the shuttle drop you off) for a night time viewing of the memorial. Very moving.

The rooms are newly remodelled and lovely. You are also within walking or shuttle distance from the open air, hop on hop off, bus tour stop. If you buy a multi-day pass you can travel around the entire city and see pretty much everything, including a boat tour.

Washington DC Mobile

We also had the shuttle drop us off and pick us up at Legal Seafoods, which is a really great restaurant nearby.

http://www.legalseafoods.com/restaurants/arlington-crystal-city

Another great restaurant when you're in the city is Founding Farmers. You definitely need a reservation for there, and there might be a bit of a wait, but it's definitely worth it. They gave us free hors d'oeuvres to compensate.

Washington DC | Founding Farmers Restaurant | True Food and Drink | Washington DC

Oceanaire is also a great place to go for Happy Hour. The Oceanaire Seafood Room

• Re: Looking for property in proximity to Arlington National Cemetery for family group of 10.  Suggestions?
    missgee Silver 40 Reviews

Oh wow.  I just took a second look at the original post and I notice that it's from two years ago!  Never mind.  lol