3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 13, 2012 11:25 PM by pluto77 RSS

First time in Rome - need to stay near the airport on our return - what do you recommend?

travelrookie Platinum
Currently Being Moderated
First time in Rome - need to stay near the airport on our return - what hotel do you recommend?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Rome, Italy
  • A: First time in Rome - need to stay near the airport on our return - what do you recommend?
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
    I wish I could recommend the Courtyard Rome Airport but I had a very bad experience there a couple of years ago and will never stay there again. If possible, I'd stay at either the Courtyard Rome (practically a stone's throw from the Vatican) or the Grand Flora and just leave plenty of time depending on time of day and day of the week. Enjoy one of my favorite cities in the world! ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: First time in Rome - need to stay near the airport on our return - what do you recommend?
    mojo1992 Platinum

The Marriott Rome Park has a shuttle ( at a fee).  I just checked in today and I DO NOT recommend this hotel.

Good luck finding a good Marriott in Italy

• Re: First time in Rome - need to stay near the airport on our return - what do you recommend?
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

The names of these hotels can make referencing them confusing:  Courtyard Rome Central Park, Rome Marriott Park Hotel, Courtyard Rome Airport.

My brother-in-law checked in to the Courtyard Rome Central Park on points last week.  He found the hotel to be unacceptable in terms of the Rome experience that he was looking for.  It's not exactly in central Rome, but in his words, a "hotel greatly in need of some maintenance and a face lift, located in an unattractive neighborhood."  Also, there is train access to central Rome from the hotel (line FM3), but the trains stop running at 9pm.  Fortunately, a call to Marriott yielded a points refund for the rest of the reservation period after that first night, and the next day he was able to transfer to a stay at the Boscolo for two nights on points (all that was available on points, spur of the moment) and a paid stay the third night.  For the fourth night, the Boscolo was booked solid (as was the Grand Flora), so they stayed with us in our suite at the Grand Flora that night, which was perfectly fine for all, as the suite was spacious.  Super duper hats off to Marriott and the Boscolo for helping make that change happen for them, and hats off to the Grand Flora for allowing 4 persons to stay in a suite for one night.

To be clear, the Courtyard Rome Central Park is perfectly fine if budget is the prime factor, but the limited train hours of operation could indeed be problematic to my mind.

As far as needing to stay at the airport Courtyard, I have stayed there (7 years ago), and I found it to be perfectly acceptable, however this trip I learned that it is very easy to either take a taxi to/from Fiumicino (the regulated rate has recently been raised from 40 euro to 48 euro) or the Metro/Leonardo Express train (1,50 euro for the metro, 14 euro for the Leonardo Express), however this train doesn't run 24/7.  I took the Leonardo Express from Fuimicino back to the Grand Flora after seeing my daughter off early one morning, but the first train from Fiumicino didn't start running until 6:38am.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...