18 Replies Latest reply: Feb 6, 2012 7:10 PM by razorbackfan RSS

We are planning a stay in Hawaii in mid February. Any thoughts between JW, Honolulu or the Marriott in Kauai or Maui. Thanks.

dmilton Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We are planning a stay in Hawaii in mid February. Any thoughts between JW, Honolulu or the Marriott in Kauai or Maui. Thanks.

• A: We are planning a stay in Hawaii in mid February. Any thoughts between JW, Honolulu or the Marriott in Kauai or Maui. Thanks.
    kahunapremier Platinum
    Like any other destination, it really "depends" on what YOU and your family want to do during your trip to Hawai'i. If you want peace and quiet-Kauai is the island, if you want a volcano, Maui or the Big Island, If you want to see Pearl Harbor (highly recommended and no additional charge), true Polynesian history (Polynesian Culture Center showcasing the entire Polynesian culture), visit a swap meet (Aloha stadium), catch a romantic dinner overlooking Waikiki Beach, then O'ahu is the place to be. There are great things to do on all islands so you really can't go wrong. Born and raised on those islands and was a tour guide with my brother for college students (east coast types-Yale, Harvard, etc). Know the best swimming holes, some are long gone (Queen's bath on the Big Island) and some are local places, but the best swim and surf you will ever have. North shore will still have the Alaska swells, so you should see some great waves and pro surfers out and about. Look at the Big Island to stay as well, some nice Marriott properties on that island.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• A: We are planning a stay in Hawaii in mid February. Any thoughts between JW, Honolulu or the Marriott in Kauai or Maui. Thanks.
    ilmtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews
    Ko Olina on the west side of Oahu, very nice, quiet. Marriott Maui Kaannapali, nice as well. It looks like Marriott has a new property on Maui on the SW side of the island at Wailea Beach. Not new to the island as I recall just new to the Marriott Brand. If you have never been to Hawaii, spend a few days on Oahu (Pearl Harbor, North Shore, Waikiki, as the other Insider stated) and then pick an island like Maui or the Big Island. Stay on the leeward side to avoid most of the rain showers...but the showers are the life of the islands. Rookie hint..don't run inside just because it rains. Hang loose and enjoy...I've been to Hawaii 6 times...and will go again! Mahalo

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jlajhb Platinum
    How can you go wrong. All are great. We like the Kauai Beach Club the best. But we own Ko'Olina.

adventurensun Platinum
    If this is your first time in Hawaii plan to spend most of your time in Maui. Here is my synopsis of the options in a boiled down version, but let me say to begin, ANYWHERE ANYTIME in Hawaii is Heaven on earth. We visited the Islands first as Newlyweds, on business many times, then with our young son and many many times as he was growing up, then on spring break as he was preparing for college By Island: Maui: Absolutely the best for families & first timers! Surf lessons (Goofy Foot) Bike Down The Volcano (Yeah..you will read that you don't start at the top. But its a VOLCANO and still fun as heck) Sail to Lanai, Bamboo Forest, Road to Hana, Dinner in Lahiana, Dinner at Mama's fish House, all over the top for couples, pre-teens and teens. We Love the Marriott Wialea and return MOST OFTEN here. Don't miss Big Beach and the roadside fish tacos. We have stayed on Kanapali. This worked better for us when our son liked MacDonalds and the touristy shops. Best when he was under 8 years old. But now Wailea (Mauii) is our favorite. The Marriott service model is in full force over there...so service is unbelievable! Oahu We have stayed at the JW Ihilani & Spa at Ko Olina. GREAT SPA and wasnt reported to be this great resort for children but our son (12 at the time) loved the lagoon and also the little secret beach over the hill. Great snorkeling. The Arizona is a once in a lifetime experience, very somber, but again, a once in a lifetime experience. Did I mention GREAT SPA!!!!!!! I recommend one or two days only here, oh yes...and schedule a SPA visit the moment you arrive. Kauii We spent our first Hawaii experience on this Island for a few days. BLISS! We were either in the surf or in the room. Great relaxation, but for first timers get yourself over to Mauii. Lanai-Day Trip Hawaii-Great for a return visit. Great snorkeling. Molokai- Day trip

denroadwarrior Platinum 1 Reviews
    Depends on you is the right answer. HNL has 3.5M people so it is an unexpectedly BIG city. The J.W. at Ko'Olina is very nice. I go for small and quiet so the Waiohai Beach Club on Kauai is my favorite place to take my family. On the big island I tend to like the "other" brands a little bit better. Kauai is on my schedule in June for the 4th time.

traveler2 Platinum
    We loved the JW Ihilani and the Marriott vacation club in Ko Olina, loved the Kauai vacation club in Poipu, but did not feel like the Marriott in Waikiki was anything special.We have never been to the Vacation club in Kaanapali but walked through it recently and it seemed very nice. Stay a couple days in Honolulu then move on to another island for the remainder of your trip. Enjoy your vacation.

ltenney Gold
    We just got back from Christmas in Hawaii and stayed in both O'ahu and Kauai. I would definitely recommend a couple of days on O'ahu because it has the best of both worlds - big city Waikiki/Honolulu and tropical hidden treasures. We stayed at the Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort because of it's proximity to Diamond Head, the Beach but is still in Waikiki. We really enjoyed our ocean view room! We rented a car for the whole time so we to Hanouma Bay for snorkeling (FYI not open on Mondays) went swimming at Turtle Bay, did the Polynesian Cultural Center, saw the North Shore waves, etc. I also recommend hiking Diamond Head and of course a visit to Pearl Harbor (we did both on previous trips). We also spent 4 days at the Kaua'i Beach Club which was truly a beautiful place to stay. We would definitely reccomend this 5 start hotel! We picked Kaua'i because we've been to Maui and the Big Island so we wanted to try something new. All the islands have something to offer so really you can't go wrong. The only trouble we had with this trip was the rain - December had a lot of rain - and since O'ahu and Kaua'i like all the islands is really meant to be spent outside, it was a bit confining so we were glad for a nice hotel! Best wishes.

luvhawaii Platinum
    I was born on Oahu and my family is buried over there, so I love to go home. We always spend a few days on Oahu and have tried JW Ko Olina and Waikiki Beach Resort. They are definitely different from each other, but both are great. JW is quiet for the most part and has a protected lagoon beach, great for little ones who are not ready for the surf. It is a beautiful property, and is pretty much self-contained with vacation villas, etc. The down side is getting back into Waikiki - the traffic is a nightmare. If you want to be in the thick of dining and shopping and across the street from Waikiki Beach, I recommend Waikiki Beach Resort. It is a nice hotel with good views, but know you are across the street, not ON the beach. (No hotels are on Waikiki Beach.) Take a look at the Marriott EDITION in Waikiki- looks like a new property for Marriott, I don't have any info on it, but looks interesting. I highly recommend the North Shore on Oahu. (Where I lived of course!) Turtle Bay and Sunset Beach are definitely worth the trip. I do recommend if you take in Kauai, that you go for the wet side of the island, Princeville side, unless you are really wanting to stay at a Marriott. The Marriott Resort on Kauai is in the Popui area, which is the dry side. Marriott Vacation Club (Waiohai) on Kauai is beautiful. It is a condo development with great personality. Depends on the way you like to spend your days, but here's a hint: Jurassic Park and South Pacific were both filmed in Kauai on the wet side - it absolutely gorgeous. You will get more rain, but as someone else noted - don't despair. Tropical rains are short - you will just get more of them depending on the time of year. As for Maui, it's a little too commercial for our tastes, but still a beautiful place to be. You can't go wrong anywhere in our opinion. We are scuba divers and travel to dive and we ALWAYS compare other destinations to Hawaii. We haven't found one yet that we enjoy more than the diversity and beauty of the islands. Hope this helps. Mahalo

roadwarrior72 Platinum
    I've been to Maui twice. Stayed in Wailea both times and love it more and more each time we go. We loved it so much, the last time we were there, we bought a timeshare. It is a great location if it is just you and your significant other or the whole family, lots of things to do for everyone. Our last trip started in Honolulu and we were underwhelmed. It is a lot busier than Maui and felt more like Los Angeles than paradise. Hope this is helpful.

mattypi2 Gold
    Try the property in Maui in Kanapalli (sp?)Its a vacation club, but a great location. Great if you have a family! Heard great things about the JW in K"olina as well.

mvmess Gold
    I am certain this reply is probably too late, but I would highly recommend the Waiohai Beach Club on the island of Kauai. It is gorgeous and is located right on the Pacific at Poipu Bay. Fantastic snorkeling right off the beach, two great golf courses minutes away and an outstanding array of restaurants, many within walking distance. It is very laid back and very relaxing. We are heading back next week.

• Re: We are planning a stay in Hawaii in mid February. Any thoughts between JW, Honolulu or the Marriott in Kauai or Maui. Thanks.
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Honolulu, is so wonderful, great food, walk to most everything and really has so much to do!

• Re: We are planning a stay in Hawaii in mid February. Any thoughts between JW, Honolulu or the Marriott in Kauai or Maui. Thanks.
    wrldtravlr Silver 2 Reviews

P2291991.JPG

Sunset from the Waikoloa Marriott

If you want big city stay on Oahu. If you want a fantastic relaxing vacation stay on Kauai. If you want a fantastic relaxing vacation with good nightlife stay on Maui. 

But if you want it all, then stay on the Big Island at the Waikoloa Marriot. Rain forests in the northeast part of the island. Erupting volcanoes on the southeast part of the island. Nightlife in Kona 15 miles south of the hotel. And whatever you do don’t miss the giant manta rays at night off the coast of Kona.

PS: While at the Marriott Waikoloa in February you will see dozens of whales all day long just off the beach, guaranteed.

eorii Platinum

You've gotten good advice from all the prior posts......Hawaii has something for everyone. We've stayed on Maui, Oahu, and Kauai many many times....and the comments regarding the pros and cons of the various Marriott properties are all very objective. We own two Marriott timeshares on Kauai....one week at Kauai Beach Club and two weeks at Waiohai, and even though both are on the same island, they're quite different in terms of activities and nearby attraction. The former is a high-rise with nearby  shopping and dining plus what has to be one of the most beautifull pool areas in the world, while the other is low-rise and more laid back. Neither has any real negatives, it just depends on what you're looking for. You DO need a car on Kauai, and you want to visit all the attractions you'll see listed in Frommer's or other such tour books, for instance "The Grand Canyon of the Pacific" and the waterfall featured in "Da plane! Da plane!". On Oahu, if you're really budget minded, you can get anywhere on the island (with a little help from the concierge regardinsg schedules, etc) on the bus line. Not fast , but very cheap way to travel. If you do nothing else on Oahu, do three things: hike up Diamond Head, go snorkeling at Hanauma Bay, and visit Pearl Harbor to understand how lucky we all are for the sacrifices made by those who went before us.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Aloha.  On our most recent trip in November, we stayed at the Marriott in Waikiki, the J. W. at Ko'Olina, the Marriott at Wailea Beach on Maui, and the Marriott at Waikoloa Beach on the Big Island.  All were great stays with a lot of pros and only a few cons that didn't even distract from the stay.  By all means, go on a whale watch.  This time of year they say the waters around Maui are nicknamed "Whale Soup".

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...