4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2010 10:23 AM by dollyd RSS

We are palanning a trip to the Nappa/Sonoma area.  Would you recommend the Lodge at Sonoma or the Nappa Marriot.  Would you stay here for 7 nights or stay in San Fran for a few days and which Marriott there?

dollyd Gold
Currently Being Moderated

We are palanning a trip to the Nappa/Sonoma area. Would you recommend the Lodge at Sonoma or the Nappa Marriot. Would you stay here for 7 nights or stay in San Fran for a few days and which Marriott there? We are traveling in April. Can't decide between Nappa Valley or Sonoma. Which hotel is better. the Lodge at Sonoma or the Nappa Marriott? Would a side trip to San Fransisco be advised, which San Fransisco Marriott would you recommend.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Nappa Valley, California, USA
  • A: We are palanning a trip to the Nappa/Sonoma area.  Would you recommend the Lodge at Sonoma or the Nappa Marriot.  Would you stay here for 7 nights or stay in San Fran for a few days and which Marriott there?
    travelnc Platinum
    I am from San Francisco so I know the area well (now live on the East Coast). I would recommend Sonoma or Napa but it is really more of a personal preference. Napa is not the quaint area it once was. Sonoma feels more like the local wine country than the corporate wine country Napa has become. Sonoma is more compact and easier to get from one end to the other. Whether you stay in Napa or Sonoma, it is easy to go back and forth. I definitely think the Lodge is the better property. I stayed at the Lodge on my last trip to California. It is a nice property and fitting for the Napa/Sonoma valleys. The location is adequate but you will need your car to get around. Sonoma has a very nice square in the center of town with restaurants and shops and while the hotel is relatively close (less than a mile), you would have to walk on a pretty busy street. The hotel did provide us with a shuttle even when we went to a competing property (Sonoma Mission Inn) for dinner. I would recommend staying four or five nights in Napa/Sonoma and two or three nights in SF. SF is a unique and beautiful city and there is a lot to do there. In April the weather should be pretty nice. I think the JW Marriott is the best place to stay in SF. It is centrally located, right off of Union Square. It is close to shopping, the theaters, and the cable car lines (an easy way to get to the wharf area). Their Concierge lounge was open 24/7, which is unusual (at least it was the last time I stayed there).

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• A: We are palanning a trip to the Nappa/Sonoma area.  Would you recommend the Lodge at Sonoma or the Nappa Marriot.  Would you stay here for 7 nights or stay in San Fran for a few days and which Marriott there?
    blava007 Platinum
    They are both nice properties, they have a very comfortable lobby with large fire place and bars. We stayed at both of the locations. The Lodge does not have Concierge lounge, but their restaurant for Breakfast, dinner and happy hour is great. Sonoma has a nice downtown area with good vinery, bakery, old theater and good restaurants. Lodge has nice villas style buildings, do select top floor room so none is walking on top of you. The Marriott hotel is close to all of the major Vineries and close to the top notch restaurants. They do have afternoon vine testing and have a good Concierge lounge. Marriott is closer to other small cities including Outlet Mall, etc. You have two good hotel choices; both hotels have nice SPA, good service, and place to relax.

fourball Platinum
    I agree with the suggestion to spend some time at the JW in San Francisco. I will be a nice change in one of America's most energetic cities. For a fun spot near the hotel on Union Square - Johnnie Foley's is a very good Irish Pub run for and by Irishmen. The concierge at the hotel can suggest some other locations to match your mood and interests.

dollyd Gold
    Thank you for your response. I have researched the area well and have decided to take your advise. 5 nights at The Lodge in Sonoma and 3 nights at the JW Marriott Union Square.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...