8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2010 1:11 AM by pxinsider RSS

Best resort in Arizona? Taking the wife next year to Arizona with out the kids and looking for a good resort. Most likely staying for one week. Marriott has a lot of properties, so looking for some feedback. Thanks.

dpd811 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Best resort in Arizona? Taking the wife next year to Arizona with out the kids and looking for a good resort. Most likely staying for one week. Marriott has a lot of properties, so looking for some feedback. Thanks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Arizona, USA
  • A: Best resort in Arizona? Taking the wife next year to Arizona with out the kids and looking for a good resort. Most likely staying for one week. Marriott has a lot of properties, so looking for some feedback. Thanks.
    boiler77 Platinum
    I would highly recommend the JW Marriott Desert Ridge in Phoenix. The resort hotel is great but with family you may want to stay at the Canyon Villas which share the property. You still have access to all amenities onthe property. Great pools for kids and nice golf/restaraunts for adults. My wife and I have been here multiple times. In fact, here right now for a business event. Enjoy.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• A: Best resort in Arizona? Taking the wife next year to Arizona with out the kids and looking for a good resort. Most likely staying for one week. Marriott has a lot of properties, so looking for some feedback. Thanks.
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
    I can't tell you the best Marriott in AZ, but I can vouch for what Boiler77 said since I've stayed at the JW Desert Ridge a few times.

exscribe Silver
    if you would consider a different type of arizona vacation, here is something about tucson and the starr pass that i put after our visit last spring I used my points for only the second time in the 10 years I have been a Marriott customer, staying six nights at the Starr Pass Resort in Tucson in mid-March. We found it well worth the sacrifice. The place was beautiful, the service was excellent, the golf was very challenging, the food was certainly good and the views were quite memorable. Great place to chill out. We stayed five nights on points, then took advantage of a package (golf and spa for us, just golf if you both play) that seemed a reasonable price, especially considering the price of golf in March at Arizona. The resort is spread out, meaning the rather fun lazy river, the spa pool and the larger pool area were not right on top of each, making for a bit more of a spacious, secluded feel. There is also some hiking/mountain biking right there, including 30-minute to two-hour walks. The hotel is about 10 minutes outside of downtown and secluded, so plan on eating often on site at least a bit. Primo is the most expensive restaurant, and you will probably need a reservation if there is a conference or two at the hotel - usually are, I would think. The food was good in all restaurants, Signature Grill was a favorite, and we found sitting by the fire on the Salud deck with a view of the mountains before sunset and the Tucson lights after sunset to be quite relaxing. Rooms were very good size. It can be a bit of challenge if you want something quick, like a sandwich or pizza, got to go room service for that. That was my only want, a sandwich shop open all day so you could grab something to go or just eat light and quick. It is a different area than East Tucson, which you are five minutes from roads of chain restuarants and stores, giving it more of a feel you might find in the suburbs of Phoenix. In other words, expect to run up a food bill at the resort, and it can add up quite quickly. ACTIVITIES We went to the Sonora Desert Museum, which was cool and more like a desert zoo. We saw the bird show and reptile show, both fun - but we like that kind of stuff. We drove through the Saguaro National Park, which had hiking trails of different duration - including some long ones. We wound up hiking at another great spot, Sabino Canyon. We took the tram up to the stop nine, the last one, then hiked back on the side of the canyon to stop 1. Because of the rainfall this season, we had to cross a creek - read strongly running water about knee-high - at the end which was a bit tricky. It should be noted folks about 60 were crossing, too, so not really dangerous, but it would have been easy to lose your balance and get soaked. Great views of canyon, great place to go. Talk to the volunteer inside about hiking options. You can also walk down the paved tram road, get the views and then stop at whatever tram spot works for you ---- or go the trail route like us. We also visited Tombstone, kind of silly, but still fun. They need to work on their public restrooms, though. It was a little too much like the old west in those, I think. The OK shootout is goofy fun, the 15-minute movie informative and the courthouse worth walking through. The Bird Cage is OK, too. We were not thrilled with Tubac, artist colony of shops in middle of nowhere, though we did find a nice store or two. Will Rogers and John Wayne once had places there - they obviously wanted to get away, waaaaaay away.... We missed out on Kitt Peak, reviewed by many as a good to excellent evening telescope/astronomy show. You need reservations in advance, as in several weeks in advance if going in March. The sky there is beautiful, lots of stars, so that is one thing we wish we had done. If you are going with kids, you probably want to do this, or so we were told. Too bad both minor league teams are leaving for Phoenix area, because Tucson has a smaller town feel than Phoenix, and I kind of like that. The Rockies and Diamondbacks have been playing there, but are moving to a stadium outside Scottsdale they will share. There is talks of Japanese teams coming in and playing major league squads, but that remains up in the air. As for the golf at Starr Pass, the courses are, I think, fairly difficult because they often feature shots that require carry, especially off the tee. I think 10 handicap and worse definitely would think about the Silver or third tees, especially if you are coming from the cold and this represents your first round or two of year. Coyote is supposed to be the most playable, more forgiving of the three courses and some told me the most fun. I missed playing it. Even if you are guy who can break 80, expect to lose some golf balls on the Roadrunner and Rattler. The courses, though, were certainly resort quality. Hope this helps those thinking of visiting Tucson. Starr Pass is a bit secluded, which we liked, and exceptionally nice. We started our stay with a nice visit to the University Marriott in Tucson just on the edge of the University of Arizona campus. Excellent service again. Took a campus historical tour, picked up good information at the visitor's center near campus. The little cupcake place on University Avenue provided a nice treat. Easy to walk to a few pub restaurant choices in college hangout area.

davidscott Platinum
    This is a toss up. There is the Desert Ridge JW Marriott, or the Camelback JW Marriott. I have stayed many times at both, and now have a second home 10 minutes from the Desert Ridge location. The Desert Ridge is big and bueatiful with one main building with multiple wings. Lots of tile, stone, travertine, water features, and rather modern looking. Great restaurants, and 5 huge pools. The service is great. Golf course is beautiful, The spa is huge. This is also a very kid friendly hotel. It is close to 100's of restaurants and shops. The Camelback is more old world and very adobe desert like. It was a resort 80+ years ago when the town was an old western town. Bill Marriott used to come to this place as a child. To this day he vacations there and names it is favorite property in the world. The views are specatular. The grounds, gardens, and landscaping are incredible. This is a cluster of smaller adobe buildings that have 4 -8 rooms per building scattered through-out the property. It is located at teh mase of Mummy mountian and looks across the Camelback mountiain, the most famous landmark in Phoenix/Scottsdale. I havwe played the golf course and love it/(Hate it too).The pool are is beautiful, but much smaller and intimate. The Spa is amazing. The spa and the lobby just finihsed a multi-million dollar facelift that acombines the old world charm with the best of a modern deco design. the restaurants here are also amazing. This is 15-20 miles closer to downtown Scottsdale. Desert Ridge is closer to North Scottsdale. Again, this is really a toss-up. if you want a little bit more "Buzz of Activity", then Desert Ridge is the winner. If you want a little more laid back with a quiet southwest feel, then Camelback is the winner. You can't go wrong with either. Desert Ridge skews a bit younger in age of guests...Camelback skews slightly older. I hope this helps.

kahunapremier Platinum
    Starr Pass would get my vote. Excellent property and you can't go wrong with that location. Like exscribe mentioned, there are plenty things to do at and around this property.

countryjim Platinum 1 Reviews
    Since you did not say where in Arizona, I vote for Starr Pass. Desert Ridge and JW Camelback are great, but Starr Pass is near Tucson, and Tucson has far less traffic, is more laid-back, has a far more intimate airport and rental cars cost half as much (due to PHX insane airport add-on fees). Also, Starr Pass is in a far more secluded area. Happy Trails!

pxinsider Platinum
    Two best desert ridge in Phoenix or jw star pass in Tucson both offer great amenities . Desert ridge closer to city things to do star pass in Tucson a little more remote. There is als a new ritz Carlton just north of Tucson very tranquil but you don't get points there. I'd chichi both sites on dates you arevtraveling to see what is happening I think I prefervtuscon has a great BBQ rest on site but Phoenix also has a time share property attached. If you go look they will give you a hundred dollars toward dinner.

pxinsider Platinum
    Two best desert ridge in Phoenix or jw star pass in Tucson both offer great amenities . Desert ridge closer to city things to do star pass in Tucson a little more remote. There is als a new ritz Carlton just north of Tucson very tranquil but you don't get points there. I'd chichi both sites on dates you arevtraveling to see what is happening I think I prefervtuscon has a great BBQ rest on site but Phoenix also has a time share property attached. If you go look they will give you a hundred dollars toward dinner.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...