13 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2016 10:06 AM by mustanggt RSS

Has anyone platinum stayed at the JW Marriott San Antonio and been upgraded?  Do they have a concierge level?  How was customer service?  How would you rate this resort for families?  Thanks!

lakeshore Platinum 11 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Has anyone platinum stayed at the JW Marriott San Antonio and been upgraded? Do they have a concierge level? How was customer service? How would you rate this resort for families? Thanks!

• A: Has anyone platinum stayed at the JW Marriott San Antonio and been upgraded?  Do they have a concierge level?  How was customer service?  How would you rate this resort for families?  Thanks!
    donethat Platinum 5 Reviews
    Yes, I stayed there in the spring, and it rocks. I stayed on reward stay and they upgraded me to Presidential Suite. It was fabulous, and my kids had a riot. It is third generation of JW Desert Ridge in Phoenix. Great food, spa, golf and water features. Staff very friendly, but no concierge level.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• A: Has anyone platinum stayed at the JW Marriott San Antonio and been upgraded?  Do they have a concierge level?  How was customer service?  How would you rate this resort for families?  Thanks!
    bill_s Platinum 5 Reviews
    I stayed at the Resort Aug 12-15 with my family. We did not receive an ungrade on the room but the room we had was great. Full balcony overlooking the resort and golf course. The kids loved the slides and pool and my wife and I were treated great in the Spa. So much to do at this resort we didn't even leave to see anything else while we were down in S.A. They do not have concierge lounge or levels. We will be back!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

hopetix Platinum 2 Reviews
    We just stayed there this past week. We were upgraded to a suite which was huge. It had refrigerator and microwave as well as dining room and two bathrooms. It faced the pools and golf course. It is a huge place. The lazy river is great as are the slides (even for adults). They have kids programs and a game room. The food is VERY expensive for sandwiches and basic appetizers. Drinks start at $9 and go up from there. There are no happy hours at any of the bars. Fortunately we had a rental car which allowed us to go to the grocery store and get breakfast and lunch stuff. It also allowed us to go out to eat off site in San Antonio for dinner. Velocity was great for watching the Men's NCAA championship game. They have a huge wall of tvs. Unfortunately there is no breakfasts included or concierge lounge as it's a "resort" which means if you don't have a car you're there to pay very high prices. The only other down side is all the resorts have been adding "resort" fees of $20 to $25 per night which gave us 2 drinks ($20 worth) and free wireless (which we get anyway) and a few discounts. I wish they'd just up the price. Anyway it was a great new property where they are hosting the Texas Open this week and we would absolutely go back there!

• Re: Has anyone platinum stayed at the JW Marriott San Antonio and been upgraded?  Do they have a concierge level?  How was customer service?  How would you rate this resort for families?  Thanks!
    musictomyears Platinum 6 Reviews

When we stayed at the JW Marriott in San Antonio this last time, we were immediately upgraded to a lovely golf view suite.  We were very surprised and delighted.   The first year, we asked for an upgrade to a suite and we were told they do not honor upgrades to suites, happy they changed their mind!

DSC06596.JPGDSC06593.JPGDSC06591.JPGDSC06588.JPG

• Re: Has anyone platinum stayed at the JW Marriott San Antonio and been upgraded?  Do they have a concierge level?  How was customer service?  How would you rate this resort for families?  Thanks!
    ardeni Platinum

I checked in to the JW Marriott San Antonio today, and sadly, was given no recognition by the front desk clerk as a Plat, except for being handed the descriptive keys.   I have my family with me, but I still have to get some work done while I'm here, so I asked about an upgrade.  The clerk outlined my options, and how they would cost $300-700 per night, but she did not offer me any of the available suites based on my status.  Apparently, the fact that my room has a patio at all is an upgrade, but the room is completely standard, and I am overlooking the roofs of the pro shop and the spa.  I had to ask for the $10 food/beverage credit.  I had read on flyertalk about the lack of elite recognition here, but I didn't want to believe it.  It's true, unfortunately. I'm staying a Monday to Thursday at a resort for heaven's sake, the Texas spring breaks are over, and there's hardly even anyone here enjoying the pool.  The room, view and treatment are truly mediocre.

It's in stark contrast to the Residence Inn Austin South where I stayed last night on a free certificate, where I was immediately acknowledged by the clerk, who upgraded me to a 2 bedroom suite and gave my kids ice cream sandwiches and me arrival points!  Incredible service there. 

andy2822 Platinum

New to this commuity but have been staying at Marriott for a very long time now. We are currently staying at the JW Marriott in San Antonio. l just became a platinum member in the last month and was so excited that we were going to be staying at the JW being a new platinum member. To say we are disappointed would be an absolute understatement.

The check in processed seemed rushed. The front desk girl  Barely even said anything about being a platinum member except to give us two pins to wear so everyone can acknowledge us as platinum members (funny story about that later). I asked if there were any upgrades available and the girl said that she did upgrade us to a very nice room. On the elevator up to the room another couple got in the elevator and could not stop talking about the upgrade he got to a suite being a gold member. At this point I was very excited to get to our room. When we got to the room we found out it was just a regular balcony room. One with a great view....but still a regular King room. I knew before we checked in that breakfast was not included at resorts. We were given a 10 dollar food voucher at a check in gift.

I honestly wanted to say something but my wife asked me not to bother. We are both here for the week interviewing for jobs and she just wants to enjoy the stay during the times we have free. So we put our silver pins on and decided to go down to grab a bite to eat. One recommendation I can make....don't wear jeans and any form of black tee shirt or polo shirt. I made that mistake and was asked twice walking to lunch if I knew were places  were on the resort. My wife and I found it kind of funny people just came up asking us directions but we just laughed and kept walking. When we sat down to lunch we understood. We matched the wait staff at the place serving brunch. Honestly if we had some name tags we could have been employees. Obviously we went up to change after lunch. My wife decided to take the pin off and put it away.

Last night we came back from dinner and found out that the water was going to be shut off from 2-4am. Normally this would not be a problem but my wife is interviewing for a medical job. She had to be up at 3:30 to shower and get out the door to be at the practice by 5:30am. Thank God the water was back on at 4am.

LIke I said before we are just honestly disappointed. We have been staying at Marriott properties exclusively for 2 years now to reach this status. In some cases going out of our way to choose a Marriott over other brands. I think my wife was right when she said I built up reaching platinum status way to much because at this point a 10 dollar food voucher just does not seem like it's worth all we went through to get here.

Sill have 5 more days here so I will let everyone know if it gets better.

lakeshore Platinum 11 Reviews

Dear Andy,

I am really sorry to hear of your experience. My original question was posted quite a few years ago, and I am sorry I have never followed up. We actually have stayed there many times now, and each time have had the most wonderful experiences. In fact, this is one of our favorite hotels in the world. The management really does appreciate customer loyalty, but I must tell you, the first two times I had to ask for a Platinum upgrade, and the second time I had to go back down and request to speak with the front desk manager. They were very nice.

So, since your stay is not over, please go down and politely ask for a manager, and tell them how you have been looking forward to your stay, and have worked hard to become Platinum, have read many nice things about their hotel on Insiders, and would they have any other room available for the Platinum loyalty upgrade? It will not hurt to ask, but you must ask for someone higher up than the receptionist.  Perhaps now that the weekend has passed, there will be something available. We only haven't been upgraded once, and that was because there was a proAm gold tournament taking place! and the entire hotel was sold out! But the service we received was exceptional from the restaurants to the pool area, to housekeeping. I am sorry this has not been your case yet, but don't give up. In my experience, the managers  really do appreciate customer loyalty. And this is a gorgeous hotel, Cibolo Moon is delicious, the golf course beautiful, the pool area amazing...please give it another shot while you are there! And let us know how it goes.

Happy travels,

Lakeshore

andy2822 Platinum

Honestly my wife and I are way to busy this week to pack everything up and change rooms even if we could change rooms. It's really not about the room. The room we have is fine. It's just that you work so hard and stay so loyal to a brand and you really get nothing. That's what's so disappointing. Maybe my expectations were just completely unrealistic. I just honestly expected more than a 10 dollar food voucher. Looking back on it now I really wish I had thought it through and taken the 500 points per night instead. 3500 points in my book are much more valuable than 10 dollars.  And to have a gold member get upgraded to a suite right before me kind of just pours salt on a open wound. I was also told that all the suites were booked out. Maybe the guy in the elevator was lying??? I also found out that the 30 dollar a day resort fee is not waived. I am here for a week and don't have a swim suit or golf clubs. I can't even enjoy the resort. The only thing I am using is the free internet. Just feel kind of cheated since I am supposed to get that anyway with the elite status.

seatexan Platinum

Hey andy2822,

Welcome to insiders!  I stayed there in early March for 3 days.  I didn't get an upgrade but I was only silver at the time.  The room was still nice and had a couch with a decent view.

My parents also stayed and they are Platinum.  They were upgraded.  The difference between their room and my room was the view (way better than my view!) and they had a walk out balcony with chairs.  My room just had a Juliet. 

Check in was quite slow and there were only 2 people in front of me.  The front desk people seems to be tired up in their own things.  I asked 3 times for extra towels, 1) using the at your service app before we arrived *fail* 2) the Bellman said he would call for some when he brought our luggage up 2 hours later *fail* 3) called down. 

Check in day was my only real complaint.  Everything else went pretty well.  The food is good, the drinks are good... I hope your stay gets better!  Keep us updated!  It's a beautiful hotel.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...