12 Replies Latest reply: Aug 8, 2010 7:29 PM by goodyear RSS

Honeymoon in Hawaii--where to stay?

roadbrat Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I'm looking in to some properties in Hawaii for my honeymoon. Ultra-romantic and amazing views are high on the list. Can anyone offer any insight on Marriotts you've stayed in? I am looking to stay on 2-3 islands for about 2 weeks. We are not really so much into spa-type activites, but are big on adventure....and of course romance. ;)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
HI, USA
  • A: Honeymoon in Hawaii--where to stay?
    lescmeyer Platinum
    Ko Olina Marriott is nice. Bought a time share after three visits. Les

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jbruehl Platinum
    Kauai is a beautiful island known as the "Honeymoon". You can't go wrong.

dobber Gold
    Kauai, as mentioned earlier, is a good place to start. Depending on the time of year, Kauai is a wetter island, with the north coast being pretty much wet all the time. The resort is on the drier side, a really nice resort (we spent a week there). Good hiking opportunities and driving on the "grand canyon of the west". It is a more "remote" atmosphere, small towns, etc. so not much nightlife, if you are into that. We also stayed at the Waikola Marriott on the Big Island. We loved that. There is so much to do on the Big Island, the volcanos, waterfalls, Mauna Kea, etc. Plenty of "adventure" to keep you going. Again, no nightlife, but you will be exhausted from the driving and sightseeing anyway. Haven't been to Maui, but unless you are a fan of crowds (and like the nightlife), stay away from Honolulu, Waikiki. It is like Miami. Albeit, there is some nice driving on the east coast up to the north shore, but Waikiki is overrated. I would stick to Kauai and the Big Island. Also, if you dive (or snorkel) do the night dive with the mantas on the Big Island, about 10 min from the Waikola hotel. Great dive, sometimes with wild dolphins as well. Very much worth it.

• A: A: Honeymoon in Hawaii--where to stay?
    surfclubber Platinum
    We went to Hawaii for our honeymoon 4 years ago. It was the best trip we ever took. We then went back 2 years later to 2 different islands. We stayed at the waikiki marriott. If you like to walk around near your hotel this is a place to stay or you can stay at JW Marriott Ihilani Resort and Spa at Ko Olina. http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/hnlmc-waikiki-beach-marriott-resort-and-spa/ http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/hnljw-jw-marriott-ihilani-ko-olina-resort-and-spa/ We stayed at maui that time also but we stayed at the timeshare since we traded for it. You should be able to book them on marriott.com. They also have a Ritz there. IT was nice staying at the timeshares because they had things to do all around there. The Marriott hotel is not near a lot of things. Maui is a very nice island and has a lot of things to do. I recommend doing a helicopter tour on maui,Kaua'i and the big island. There is plenty to do on all 4 main islands. http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Properties/KapaluaMaui/Default.htm?mtid=marriott&locale=en_US THe big island. This was a nice hotel with a nice beach. 3 days in a row there was a sea turtle that came real close to the shore. http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/koamc-waikoloa-beach-marriott-resort-and-spa/ Kaua'i HOtels and timeshare. The time share is on the southern end. It has nice snorkeling right at there beach. But its farther from a lot of things to do. http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lihwi-marriotts-waiohai-beach-club/ This hotel is also a timeshare but has hotel rooms. Make sure you tell them when you book the hotel that it is your Honeymoon. It is near shops and restaurants. Dukes bar and grill is right there on the beach. Good hula pie. But the cruise ships dock there, we didn't see big crowd because of it. Definitely do a helicopter tour there, snorkeling boat tour of the Napali coast. Not sure what company we took but it was very nice. Snorkeled with 2 sea turtles there also. It is hard to say what 2-3 to go see. Kauai-Maui then it depends if you want to see pearl harbor or not. Hope i helped a little. If you have any questions on what to do or what company to book just send me a message http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lihhi-kauai-marriott-resort/

allover Platinum
    I have hit four islands over the past three years, spent just over two months all together, all are very different. Waikiki is like New York City, I stayed at the Marriott. Calm water out front, golf a few blocks back. I would stay a day or two and then head up North. Most of the Big Island is reminiscent of the moon. Did a day visit drove the entire island and saw Volcano Park and the black sand beach that had sunning green Honu's on it. I have not spent the night there. My favorite is Kauai, following that is Maui. Kauai in my opinion is the most beautiful and unique. I've stayed at the Marriot in Lihue a couple of times. I hang my hat up in Princeville most of the time I’m there. Maui is similar, a lot larger and has more of a small city feel. I stayed at the Marriot Wailea and had a room overlooking the adult pool with infinity edge, super sweet. I think that is the nicest hotel within the Marriott chain on the Islands. I have yet to visit Lanai, after I have I’m reserved to Kauai as often as I can, I love that place with all the crazy chickens:)

retired Platinum
    I agree with Allover, Kauai is my first choice. I'm heading to Kauai for three weeks tomorrow, One week Kauai Beach Club then two weeks a Waiohai. I'm going to get my tan on! Ko OLina is really nice also and its about 20 miles outside Honolulu. The Maui Ocean Club is nice but alot of people. When I go to Hawaii I try stay away from Waikiki, eighty percent of the population of the Hawaiian islands are in the city of Honolulu. If Honolulu is what your after save yourself some air fare and just go to San Diego. I spent my honeymoon on Kauai and we have been back every year for the last 14 years.

md_mclain Silver
    My wife and I just spent 4 nights at the JW Marriott Ihilana at Ko Olina on Oahu, then moved to the Marriott Resort on Kauai. We loved different parts of both of them. On Oahu, Ko Olina is about a 25 minute drive from Honolulu. The resort is beautiful, the ocean-front room was well worth the slight difference from garden view - huge room, great bathroom, amazing view out a large balcony with sliding glass doors / plantation shutters to block the afternoon sun (also, there's a huge Disney Vacation Club property being built next door - you can't see / hear it if you get the ocean view). The pool was adequate, beach / lagoon was very nice. Paying the extra few bucks for the breakfast package (only for Marriott Rewards members) was definitely worth it, the buffet was awesome. The two guys tending bar at the pool bar / grill were really good - attentive and helpful. The Japanese restaurant was quite good, we didn't try the up-scale steak place on the property. There's a quiet bar upstairs above the pool that's really nice in the evenings. There are Marriott shuttles to the marina and golf course, that also have other restaurant choices (Roy's - Hawaiian Fusion...), but if you want to shop or eat non-Marriott choices, you have to drive somewhere. At the Kauai resort, there are a lot more rooms / people, but the facilities (pool, restaurants, etc) are also sized appropriately. The room was quite nice (better than the average Hilton room), but not incredible like the one above. The pool was huge, with 5 separate hot tubs, plenty of chairs all day long, and a huge lagoon just behind it if you'd rather have ocean views. There are quite a few shops and non-Marriott restaurants within walking distance (only a couple hundred yards past the pool - the lobby was further away from our room). Try the "opa" at Duke's. The island itself was also more beautiful for us - rain forest, mountains, valleys - we took a helicopter tour that was worth every penny.

anneil Silver
    I stayed at the Marriott on the Big Island earlier this year. The Volcano Park would be a day trip - almost 3 hours away by car. Add on a whale watching trip, and I don't see how you can beat it for an adventure.

fourball Platinum
    I have stayed at a number of the properties on the islands. The Waikiki Beach Marriott if you can get the end rooms high floor are awesome looking down the Waikiki Beach is very romantic. The JW Marriott at Ko 'Olina is also very romantic. On the big island of Hawaii, the JW Marriott at Waikoloa Village is also first rate with a significant renovation 3 years ago. We were able to get a top end room facing the stage of the local Luau. Kuaii also has a nice property though last time we were there major renovations with the golf course were still underway. Maui and Lanaii have very nice Ritz Carltons to pamper both of you.

iamcanadian Platinum 2 Reviews
    Been to Maui & Oahu only... Maui is beautiful-- with a low-key relaxed vibe. (Recommend the Marriott in Wailea) There are some adventureous things to do (Road to Hana would rank high on the list) and fantastic golf . If you're looking for both adventure & romance -- I would spend the majority of your time on Oahu and stay at the Ko Olina Beach Club. The vacation villas give you room to relax when you need it and the grounds are impeccable. With 3 beautiful pools, a private lagoon/beach and probably the best luau I've been to in Hawaii- it's the only hotel I would consider when I return. (Tip -- reserve the Luau in advance -- it's only done once or twice a week and it sells out quickly) The hotel is situated between Waikiki & the North Shore -- and close enough for short commutes to each. If you're into water adventures, there are lots of snorkelling/diving options from various marinas on the island but if you are looking for fun on dry land -- don't miss the hike up Diamond Head , touring the Kualoa Ranch on horseback or HUMMER, and visiting the North Shore. In fact --there's so much to do & see on Oahu if you're adventureous -- you could easily spend 2 weeks and not do it all. If you're looking for a romantic dinner option on Oahu -- reserve your sunset seating at the Hau Tree Lanai. It's intimate with impeccable food, service & sunsets. Duke's at Waikiki is also a great choice for a nice dinner. Reserve in advance for a good table! You can arrange island day trips with any consierge to other islands. Hawaii is everything you have ever imagined and more...Aloha!

boulevardmarti Platinum 2 Reviews
    We think Ko Olina is absolutely top-notch. A bit far away from HNL but very charming in its setting. The suites are gorgeous and the staff couldn't be nicer. If we had more money, we'd be there four to six times a year rather than only one time. Plenty of romance in this area. Kauai is a great property too.

goodyear Platinum
    On Maui stay at the Marriott Wialea. Snorkle, dive whale watch, bike, golf...all in the best area of the island and almost from your hotel room. Love the place!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...