8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2011 6:56 PM by submannuc RSS

Have you stayed at the Waikiki Marriott?  How is it?  Is it disappointing that it's not right on the beach and how is the pool area?  Is it ok for a honeymoon?

jasmin Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Have you stayed at the Waikiki Marriott? How is it? Is it disappointing that it's not right on the beach and how is the pool area? Is it ok for a honeymoon?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Honolulu - Oahu, Hawaii, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
  • A: Have you stayed at the Waikiki Marriott?  How is it?  Is it disappointing that it's not right on the beach and how is the pool area?  Is it ok for a honeymoon?
    saintsfan Platinum
    My wife and I were just there (and the Wailea Marriott on Maui) at the end of June for our 20th anniversary. If you have a choice get a room in the front tower. There is a front tower and a rear tower (oriented from the beach), and the front one both gives better views and is more convenient to the parking garage and beach. The rooms are OK but definitely not what you would expect for a resort. The bathrooms were very disappointing. They were very small and didn't have a separate tub. The breakfast buffet was AWESOME but cost about $50 total with tip for the two of us. The pool area is nice with lots of chairs although the pool isn't that big. There is a small bar and you can order food and sit at at table. We didn't eat dinner at any of the on site restaurants but instead walked and ate at other places. The walk to the beach is nothing. It is VERY close and there is a traffic light. Not a big deal at all. I highly recommend stopping by the concierge desk shortly after arriving and planning your activities. Aron was very helpful. Through him we booked a tour bus and guided walk up Diamond Head, a luau at Paradise Cove, an entire day at the Polynesian Cultural Center (not my cup of tea but I made the sacrifice for my wife!), snorkling at Hanauma Bay, and of course Pearl Harbor (go early!). If you PM me an e-mail address I'd be happy to send you a few pics. Congrats on the upcoming marriage.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• A: Have you stayed at the Waikiki Marriott?  How is it?  Is it disappointing that it's not right on the beach and how is the pool area?  Is it ok for a honeymoon?
    saintsfan Platinum
    I should add that whatever you budget for food multiply it by three. Everything is expensive. Also, all of the tours cost a total of several hundred $ for the two of us but I highly recommend them. We didn't rent a car there but did on Maui.

• A: A: Have you stayed at the Waikiki Marriott?  How is it?  Is it disappointing that it's not right on the beach and how is the pool area?  Is it ok for a honeymoon?
    kahunapremier Platinum
    Lived in Hawaii for years (born there) and lived on O'ahu, Big Island and kauai. So I know the island extremely well. Don't get a tour guide or even sign up for those things as they are too expensive. My advice is to make a list of your top 5 sites you want to see while on your honeymoon. 1.Pearl Harbor 2. PCC (Best show and top attraction in hawaii). Also, this is an educational tour and I highly recommend it as you will see all of Polynesia represented. Food is better than on the Honolulu side. Take in the luau and you will enjoy the night show-incredible! 3. Beaches-go to local sites: pounders, Laie beach (family oriented), Sandy Beach. Check with the front desk, they know of these beaches, if they don't then they are not "local" :-) 4. Stop by the best shave ice called Matsumoto's. A sure get and you will love the shave ice. 5. Diamond Head 6. Aloha Stadium-Wednesday to get bargins (shopping). This is the local favorite day to buy STUFF... 7. dinner on the beach at night with your bride or even on a boat-check with the hotel. A can't MISS and a MUST DO! Sunsets on the waikiki side is incredible and the view from the water back to the island is WOW! 8. Hanauma Bay (a must and very very cool). At that location, take the extra time to walk around and enjoy and the "blow hole". You sit in a round pocket and as the water goes in and out, you are taken up and down and the spray (pressure) explodes. Similar to what a whale does when it takes air in and blows used air out. Haven't stayed at that hotel, but I would personally stay at the Hilton Turtle bay on the other side-yeah, the Marriott on Waikiki doesn't do it for me. For me, have tons of family so I get major discounts as family members work in the hotel industry in the islands. Now, if you want to island hop, I recommend Maui, Kauai and the Big Island. Big Island for sure, as it is the most diverse and the volcano visits are way cool as is the black beaches... Hapuna beach is a MUST if you want a cresent beach with waves and peace. Congrats on your upcoming marriage!!!

• A: A: Have you stayed at the Waikiki Marriott?  How is it?  Is it disappointing that it's not right on the beach and how is the pool area?  Is it ok for a honeymoon?
    countryjim Platinum 1 Reviews
    Just to clarify ---- The Waikiki Marriott has two swimming pools, one at the base of each of the two towers. This property is located directly on Kalakua Boulevard, the "main drag" of the Waikiki beach area. The resort is directly across the street from the beach ---- which at this point almost laps right up to the street.

artisttraveler Gold 17 Reviews
    Agree with SaintsFan. Spent a week there in Feb. Most Waikiki hotels across street from beach - not a problem. Less than a minute and you're there. Agree - get front tower. Bathrooms a bit dated and bit small, but still nice. All in all, a very nice place to stay. Located at end of Waikiki stretch which makes it a bit quieter. Also, spent time on Big Island at Waikoloa Marriott - enjoyed that very much. More private but with shopping and reataurants nearby. Don't need car unless venturing outside Waikiki area. If do, there's a parking garage behind Marriott in another hotel (can't remember name) - whole lots cheaper.

retired Platinum
    I agree with everything that has been stated by the other responders. I might add that I would stay at Ko Olina as it is better then the Waikiki Beach hotel. The four lagoons at Ko Olina make the resort. You are about a half hour drive out of Waikiki, which is about right as there are way to many people in Waikiki. They put the football player up at Ko Olina that are playing in the pro bowl I prefer the Kauai Beach Club for Kauai, it has a 26,000 sq foot surface area pool (large) with a island in the middle. Check out Dukes and the bare foot bar below. Check out the resorts on line and you see what I'm talking about. All the Marriott resorta are nice but these two I think are best for a honeymoon ( I have stayed at all the marriott resorts in the islands). I sent each of my twin sons to these locations for thier honymoon.

lakeshore Platinum 11 Reviews
    I agree with posters about the Waikiki Marriott...ask for front tower corner room if possible...maybe they will upgrade you for your honeymoon. Otherwise, I would say that on Oahu, the Ko Olina would be a better choice for a honeymonn. It is gorgeous! Best wishes! Also, the pool at Waikiki Beach is tiny and on a low roof area if I remember correctly. NOT romantic! And, if you can go to a different island, Maui is a great choice for the Marriott. We have stayed at both...the timeshare is super fun and on a HUGE beach(miles long) and you have lots of water activities, while the other in Waielea(I know I misspelled that) is beautiful...infinity pool, and other pools, a gorgeous, lush area with beautiful beaches. You have a great view of Lanai. Plus, you can do the ride to Hana and then go on all of the way around, stopping for the hike through the bamboo forest that ends up at a HUGE waterfall...it is awesome...like being in Indiana Jones or something very adventurous and peaceful at the same time!!! If you get the unofficial guide to Maui, it tells of great, secluded places to go(you can also buy them for all islands...we have found them EXTREMELY helpful). We also did a powered ultralite hang glider when we were in Hana...it was an awesome way to see the island! Info is in the book. The islands of Hawaii are beautiful and each has its own flavor. I know how hard it is to choose just one. You really can't go wrong. However, if you want a truly Hawaiian experience, I wouldn't stay in Waikiki...I think someone else compared it to Miami. I would agree. And if you really want to go to Hawaii, and want a huge nightlife, day at the beach, and that's it, then the Marriott Waikiki is it for you. Good luck! I wish I was planning a trip to the islands now!!!

submannuc Gold
    Hi, yes it is a great hotel and there are a couple of pools. From my balcony I could see the beach, zoo and Diamond Head. There is a resort complex out past Pearl Harbour which might be more suitable to newly weds but I liked being at this marriott

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...