5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2011 6:29 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Anyone stayed at the London Marriott Hotel County Hall by the Westminster Bridge?  This will be our 1st, any tips would be helpful.

nomadwander Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Anyone stayed at the London England Marriott Hotel County Hall by the Westminster Bridge? This will be our 1st, any tips would be helpful. What type of weather in September?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
United Kingdom
London, England
  • A: Anyone stayed at the London Marriott Hotel County Hall by the Westminster Bridge?  This will be our 1st, any tips would be helpful.
    gregdallastx Platinum
    I usually stay at the Grosvenor Sq or Marble Arch. Friends have stayed at County Hall and loved it. Sept is a great time of year in London - take a sweater and walking shoes. Westminster Abbey is a must (get the audio guide), walk up past the Horse Guards to Trafalgar Square and the art museums. Take the tube to the Tower; you could spend half a day just there. A side trip to Windsor Castle is good for a day trip.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Anyone stayed at the London Marriott Hotel County Hall by the Westminster Bridge?  This will be our 1st, any tips would be helpful.
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I am currently at the London County Hall Marriott.  I wrote in advance that I'd be arriving very early (my flight from Boston was scheduled to arrive at 6:30am but actually arrived at 6, only because we had to circle because of London arrival regulations.  In the past, I have had a terrible time at the County Hall (though I love it) getting in anywhere near check-in time.  Andy, , did you help?  My cab driver from Heathrow said he hadn't had such a low fare in the past years because Delta gave me a Fast lane customs voucher so I was out in minutes (my luggage too). When I arrived, they had a wonderful room awaiting me. I will try to post pictures though it has taken me four times through this site even to do this post.  I have a super view of Big Ben, Westminster, Parliament, and partially the London Eye.  When I arrived at 7:47am (!!!) I was planning a long stay on the EC lounge couch, like last time.  However, this time, I was told immediately my room was ready.  It's not a suite, but I don't need a suite, and I honestly think it's wrong to give a suite to an individual.  But a huge room, great view, Concierge Floor and of course EC access.

EC access seems questionable here.  Since I arrived so early and got in, I slept for several hours.  Then at 5:30pm I appeared at the Concierge Lounge.  It is not one of the better ones, though that is not because of its employees, who DO check your room and name on entry.  But no one is there, it's small, it has no outside view, and the food and beverages are minimal.  That said, no one complained when after a bit I took a glass of wine to my room (another woman had done so before me).  I actually felt both comfortable and uncomfortable.  There was literally no one there on my arrival, and it is tiny.  The gentleman in charge of filling the food was extremely polite and helpful, but it felt odd.  When I was in the Cairo Omar Khayyam lounge or the Athens Ledra lounge (my overall favorite), I wondered why people weren't there. Some came in and left with a bottle or water, coke, or a glass of wine, but few stayed, partially because the food was not particularly good.

This brings up an issue, especially for Europe with the economic crisis.  While Pingreeman, Shoeman, SS and I almost certainly agree that anyone getting into the CL is WRONG, you have to wonder when NO ONE is in a CL.  That never happened in Athens (great and crowded) or Cairo.  I think we may need to worry that European country Marriotts might discontinue CL's if this continues, which would be horrible.  Even though the exchange rate is going down, it's still bad, so today (after early banana, OJ, and coffee on the plane) that I felt the CL didn't match up even though I had it all to myself. So maybe we need to rethink an overall condemnation of easy access.  Non-members, non-payers should never be allowed in except with a member, but it was truly bizarre to be sitting there alone from 5-6 tonight, my first night in London.  They did check IDs and rooms.

A conundrum or an exception? I leave others to say?  Like I said, check-in was amazing and unexpected since the last time I had till wait till past 2pm despite a scheduled BBC phone interview.  And everyone everywhere was amazing as is my room.

Curious as to other people's CL experiences here? I haven't yet had breakfast though I (illegally) could have, but I looked at the pages where numbers were circled.  40 people had breakfast in the CL today, but my guess is they will have only 10-12 for 'dinner'.  (BTW, only the mini-quiches were good and the fruit).

I had a horrific time finding a place to post this -- every time I tried it rejected it saying no one had said anything about the property.  Part of that is because I had no time to do the 'exercises for the new site'.  I do have pics of Parliament at night if I can figure it out.

Cheerio, ProfChiara

PS - I am not unhappy - I got everything I wanted today, including early (really early) check-in and a lounge unto myself till after 6pm.  But the lounge really needs work. It is fine if you're just planning to eat your breakfast and dinner there, but not for business or other get togethers because it is much too small, and not very appealing.

• Re: Anyone stayed at the London Marriott Hotel County Hall by the Westminster Bridge?  This will be our 1st, any tips would be helpful.
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I am currently at the London County Hall Marriott.  I wrote in advance that I'd be arriving very early (my flight from Boston was scheduled to arrive at 6:30am but actually arrived at 6, only because we had to circle because of London arrival regulations.  In the past, I have had a terrible time at the County Hall (though I love it) getting in anywhere near check-in time.  Andy, , did you help?  My cab driver from Heathrow said he hadn't had such a low fare in the past years because Delta gave me a Fast lane customs voucher so I was out in minutes (my luggage too). When I arrived, they had a wonderful room awaiting me. I will try to post pictures though it has taken me four times through this site even to do this post.  I have a super view of Big Ben, Westminster, Parliament, and partially the London Eye.  When I arrived at 7:47am (!!!) I was planning a long stay on the EC lounge couch, like last time.  However, this time, I was told immediately my room was ready.  It's not a suite, but I don't need a suite, and I honestly think it's wrong to give a suite to an individual.  But a huge room, great view, Concierge Floor and of course EC access.

EC access seems questionable here.  Since I arrived so early and got in, I slept for several hours.  Then at 5:30pm I appeared at the Concierge Lounge.  It is not one of the better ones, though that is not because of its employees, who DO check your room and name on entry.  But no one is there, it's small, it has no outside view, and the food and beverages are minimal.  That said, no one complained when after a bit I took a glass of wine to my room (another woman had done so before me).  I actually felt both comfortable and uncomfortable.  There was literally no one there on my arrival, and it is tiny.  The gentleman in charge of filling the food was extremely polite and helpful, but it felt odd.  When I was in the Cairo Omar Khayyam lounge or the Athens Ledra lounge (my overall favorite), I wondered why people weren't there. Some came in and left with a bottle or water, coke, or a glass of wine, but few stayed, partially because the food was not particularly good.

This brings up an issue, especially for Europe with the economic crisis.  While Pingreeman, Shoeman, SS and I almost certainly agree that anyone getting into the CL is WRONG, you have to wonder when NO ONE is in a CL.  That never happened in Athens (great and crowded) or Cairo.  I think we may need to worry that European country Marriotts might discontinue CL's if this continues, which would be horrible.  Even though the exchange rate is going down, it's still bad, so today (after early banana, OJ, and coffee on the plane) that I felt the CL didn't match up even though I had it all to myself. So maybe we need to rethink an overall condemnation of easy access.  Non-members, non-payers should never be allowed in except with a member, but it was truly bizarre to be sitting there alone from 5-6 tonight, my first night in London.  They did check IDs and rooms.

A conundrum or an exception? I leave others to say?  Like I said, check-in was amazing and unexpected since the last time I had till wait till past 2pm despite a scheduled BBC phone interview.  And everyone everywhere was amazing as is my room.

Curious as to other people's CL experiences here? I haven't yet had breakfast though I (illegally) could have, but I looked at the pages where numbers were circled.  40 people had breakfast in the CL today, but my guess is they will have only 10-12 for 'dinner'.  (BTW, only the mini-quiches were good and the fruit).

I had a horrific time finding a place to post this -- every time I tried it rejected it saying no one had said anything about the property.  Part of that is because I had no time to do the 'exercises for the new site'.  I do have pics of Parliament at night if I can figure it out.

Cheerio, ProfChiara

PS - I am not unhappy - I got everything I wanted today, including early (really early) check-in and a lounge unto myself till after 6pm.  But the lounge really needs work. It is fine if you're just planning to eat your breakfast and dinner there, but not for business or other get togethers because it is much too small, and not very appealing.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Professor,

Say hello to Nic, the lead Concierge!  He and his staff are very helpful!

Great report, and I hope all goes well at County Hall.  Nomad will be in for a great time!  There is so much that one can walk to, the and the activity level around the hotel is very high.

Nomad, you may want to look up previous posts and see pictures and let us know specific questions that may help your upcoming stay.  My last stay was an upgrade to room 335.  It was a fantastic room!

IMG_1659.JPGIMG_1726.JPGIMG_1682.JPGStaff welcoming!

Location Brand Hotel
    London, England
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

More pictures #2,IMG_1669.jpgDSCN0051_0038.jpgFH040026.jpgIMG_0258.JPG

Location Brand Hotel
    London, England

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...