5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 9, 2013 6:53 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Need to know, if it is safe to take the Subway from the Moscow Airport (DME) to Moscow Marriott Royal Aurora

farshad Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Need to know, if it is safe to take the Subway from the Moscow Airport (DME) to Moscow Marriott Royal Aurora

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Moscow, Russia
  • A: Need to know, if it is safe to take the Subway from the Moscow Airport (DME) to Moscow Marriott Royal Aurora
    NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate
    Good Morning, Farshad.

I was able to reach out to the Concierge at the property, and they were able to provide me the following information:

There are Aeroexpress trains that go from Domodedovo airport to Paveletskaya metro station, and from Paveletskaya to the hotel it is just 2 metro stops.

The Aeroexpress runs every hour sharp. During rush hours - every half an hour. They are safe, and for more information you can visit www.aeroexpress.ru. There is an English option on the site. The cost of 1 ticket one way is 300 rubles per person.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any further questions related to this property and would like to speak to the Concierge directly, feel free to send me a private message and I will put the Concierge in touch with you.

Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Need to know, if it is safe to take the Subway from the Moscow Airport (DME) to Moscow Marriott Royal Aurora
    barnesgene Platinum 1 Reviews

I beg to differ with communitymanager.  There are plenty of petty thieves and pickpockets throughout Russia, sorry to say, and they're pretty good at their work.  Of course you MAY make it to the Aurora without incident,and I hope you do, but be VERY aware of your vulnerabilities and watch for no-goodniks. My wife's colleague was once surrounded by "gypsies" and, WOOSH, in no time they had lifted his wallet and got off the train.  My wife's purse was slit in St.Petersburg as she was at the airport leaving, and she had to call the consulate to get a replacement passport so she could board the plane.  When I have accompanied her on her business trips, she hires a person to watch over me as I tour the cities.  Yeah, these are all true.  if it were me, I'd take a bona fide taxi, or, better yet, I'd get the hotel to send me a driver to pick me up (it's costly however).  In all cases, caveat emptor.

• Re: Need to know, if it is safe to take the Subway from the Moscow Airport (DME) to Moscow Marriott Royal Aurora

I beg to differ with communitymanager.  There are plenty of petty thieves and pickpockets throughout Russia, sorry to say, and they're pretty good at their work.  Of course you MAY make it to the Aurora without incident,and I hope you do, but be VERY aware of your vulnerabilities and watch for no-goodniks. My wife's colleague was once surrounded by "gypsies" and, WOOSH, in no time they had lifted his wallet and got off the train.  My wife's purse was slit in St.Petersburg as she was at the airport leaving, and she had to call the consulate to get a replacement passport so she could board the plane.  When I have accompanied her on her business trips, she hires a person to watch over me as I tour the cities.  Yeah, these are all true.  if it were me, I'd take a bona fide taxi, or, better yet, I'd get the hotel to send me a driver to pick me up (it's costly however).  In all cases, caveat emptor.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

If you do not speak and read Russian, I would not recommend taking the Moscow subway anywhere.

I have ridden all over the system with my Russian friends, and never had problems.

But I can not tell you how many stranded tourists we helped because they were lost, and no one speaks English.

Lucky for them they ran into us, and overheard us speaking English.  My friends had to translate for them.

Don't forget that all signs and directions will be in Russian, and the folks in the ticket office speak Russian.

Other challenges:

• trains are very crowded - we were always afraid someone would not make it on or off, and they were especially worried it would be me. So the agreement was that I would stop where I was if separated, and they would backtrack to find me.
    • I do not remember seeing any elevators,  The escalators were old and crowded.
    • manuvering bags in the crowds could be difficult.  Would be best to have just a backpack.If you do want to attempt this on your own, take a look at the signs below and see if you can figure them out, as this is what you will have in the way of directions.  There is also a guide for interpreting these at the following link

http://bridgetomoscow.com/moscow-by-metro

It is a very long flite and usually I switch planes in Amsterdam, Paris or Frankfurt.  By the time I arrive I am tired.  If you can go through the VIP channel, its pretty quick through Passport Control and Customs as you sit in the lounge and someone else collects your baggage and runs everything around. But if you come through the regular channel be prepared for VERY LONG LINES through passport control, and then through Customs.  The only people who can use the Nothing to Declare line are those with no currency.  There is never anyone in that line, and everyone is in the to declare line. Declaration process is slow, you have to itemize all currency, electronics, jewelry.  And a few times they ran out of the English forms.

When I have used the VIP channel, they have let my friends in to 'translate' for me.  If not, they meet me outside of arrivals. They usually bring the taxi as there is no such thing as marked taxi's just gypsy cabs that you flag down and negotiate a price (need to speak Russian).  If I ever had to go there alone, I would have the hotel send a car, with a driver carrying a sign with my name on it.

I would though spend a day or two touring the metro system as some of the best architecture and art is at these stops, but I would bring a Russian speaker with me, or take a tour.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...