5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 27, 2011 3:45 AM by arkwright RSS

Surprise at Munich Renaissance

anthonycohiba Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I stayed at the Renaissance, Munich, GE 2 nights last week.  I was surprised to discover it does not have a concierge lounge.  I was disappointed and wanted to move the the Marriott one block away but learned it did not have a concierge lounge either.  I assumed that all Renaissance and Marriott hotels have a concierge lounge and booked the Renaissance.  Also, I do not recall hotel website mentioned lack of concierge lounge either.  Even though I was provided with a breakfast voucher, there was no complimentary water/refreshment or evening snack.  There was a refrigerator in the room that had refreshments but none was complimentary.  Hotel websites should mention NO concierge lounge, and refreshments should have been provided.  What you say?  Has anyone else stayed at these hotels before?  What Marriott is going to do to correct this problem?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Munich, Germany
  • Re: Surprise at Munich Renaissance
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I wish that the hotels were more forthcoming on what they have and don't have--good idea!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

travelcat Gold

I stayed at this hotel May 2011 and I was upset that the hotel didn't have air conditioning.  It was very warm and we slept with the patio doors open and the hotel provided a fan.  Also, the refrigerator isn't actually a refrigerator.  I removed the mini bar items from the fridge so I could put a few of my items inside.  However, the food remained lukewarm.  Although the breakfast was adequate, it didn't meet my expectations based on other Renaissance hotels I've stayed within Germany.  I was told by the front desk that the lease for this hotel was not being renewed and would be closing by the end of the year.  I think the location is excellent when visiting Munich if you use the subway, but people should be forewarned that there is not air conditioning.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Stayed here many times and found it to be very nice.  The breakfast that came with the room was memorable and the location was supurb for highlights of Munich.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Sounds like mixed reviews here!!!  However, I probably would not stay here if there is no air conditioning!!!

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

To Anthonycohiba and others,

Three points in response to yours re the Munich Renaissance and more general issues arising:

1.      Like you, I've been at this hotel within the last few weeks. Its future seems to be very uncertain. As you say, the current "lease" was due to expire at the end of September. However, following a change of ownership, the original closure plan was suspended until the end of December 2011, in part to enable further discussions to be held between the new owners and Marriott; the former, I understand, are keen to retain an association with Marriott, but recognise that, in all probability, this would require a commitment to a substantial modernisation programme - including, unsurprisingly, the provision of air conditions in all rooms. I am due to stay there again later in October and will endeavour to secure an update on the progress, or otherwise, of these discussions.

2     In the meantime, Marriott has opened (a) a second city centre Courtyard and (b) its first Residence Inn in Europe, also in the city centre. To those who are not familar with the geography of Munich, the Marriott and the Renaissance are situated in the prosperous, "leafy" suburb of Schwabing, about 4 kms (and six metro stops) to the north of the city. This location is approximately 30 mins from Munich International Airport, and there is a very useful Lufthansa Airport Bus link close to the hotels.

3.     On the issues of concierge lounges etc, as has been reported by many Insiders, there is little guaranteed consistency in their provision in Marriotts in  the USA and Europe; some have, some haven't; some open at the week-ends, some don't. I am certainly not competent to explain why this is the case, though the type of involvement - i.e. direcly ownership by Marriott International or through a "management" contract with a franchisee - may well be an important factor. The argument which various Insiders, myself included, have put forward on various occasions over the past six months or so recognises that whilst it might be legally or operationally impossible to guarantee consistency in respect of the provision of Concierge/Executive Lounges, it should be perfectly possible to greatly enhance the level of transparency in respect of information about the facilities - including Concierge Lounges, complementary breakfasts and other Marriott Rewards - offered by individual hotels. This could be made available, for example, either through the central Hotel Directory or individiual hotel websites. As yet, it has been difficult to detect any positive response to this suggestion.

Thank you

Location Brand Hotel
    Munich, Germany

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...