16 Replies Latest reply: Sep 26, 2011 12:54 PM by anadyr RSS

Fees

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Just booked an award stay at the New York Marriott Marquis and for the first time I see that there is a fee not covered by the 240,000 points that I am using--it's less than 25 dollars for seven nights but it seems this is something I never have seen before, even spending over 1.25 million points to stay here over the past six years.

I wonder if luggage fees will be next? Anyone else had this happen?  If so where and when?

• Re: Fees
    techie Platinum 7 Reviews

Could you please explain what the fee is for?

Seems odd that it would equate to about $3.50 a night.

Thank you.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Is it a state or local tax?  I sometimes have to pay that on rewards stays in Europe.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

kauairesident Platinum 1 Reviews

Have a weekend in December booked there, also using points.  Thought the $3.50/night was some sort of tax.

Professor et al,

Here is the best available rate at the Marquis for one of the nights that I am there:

The best available rate is listed as $499 per night

Taxes (not further specified as to the taxing authority but it most likely is the NYC TOT (Transient Occupancy Tax) is listed as $77.10.

This means that the taxes are 15.5%.  In the past as I mentioned the entire stay was free, though it's been a year since I stayed there on points.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

SS,

It's actually possible with state and city taxes in NYC.  I know a lot of states, including Maine, are raising the taxes charges on hotels and restaurants.

I can't be sure (maybe Arkwright can help) but I think I've paid fairly extensive taxes in London on rewards stays, though not that bad.

ProfChiara

Professor,

This is a new fee wrinkle for the Marquis I am sure. It was never this way in the past but I am seeing the Camel's nose (metaphorically) peeking under the tent.  Yes, NY is a taxing town for sure. Except on clothing which, if under a certain amount, is tax free!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

SS:

We stayed at the Marriott Eastside on points back in August and also saw there was a $17.50 fee amount listed on the reservation. When we received our final checkout folio, it was not charged.

Just to clarify, the restaurant and bar were closed for renovations while we were there, so there was nothing we purchased while there. Our bill was $0.00.

Tef, my hope is that this will be repeated at the Marquis!!!!!

stevew Platinum

I just stayed at the Marquis on points a couple of weeks ago and there were no fees.

Good to hear--thanks

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

No fees..I used points during 3 September - 9 September for the US Open and no additional fee was charged. By the Way, I saw the Book of Mormon also and it was great. One of the funniest musicals I have ever seen. Hard to get tickets to but if you can make sure you go..Be aware though, bad language.

We're getting to the Book of Mormon but I had to pull out all the stops and get all those chits that I have accumulated redeemed.  Our neighbor here in CA knows the producer and loved the show.  Also Harry Connick (friend from Cape Cod) is appearing in "On a Clear Day," and our favorite Oz man, Huigh Jackman is also back.  So, even if we have to eat some fees we will be happy.

Be sure to look up Book of Mormon on google and view the Tony Performance of "I Believe". It will give you a good flavor for the show. I have seen many musicals including Phantom of the Opera, Jersey Boys, Wicked and many more but Book of Mormon tops them all. I have never heard so much laughter. It will be a real treat.

Will do--tried to send you a private message with a photo but the new site ate my attempt!  It was so good I can;t recreate it, so just imagine what I said.

LOL...With your sense of humor you will love Book of Mormon even more than me. Don't want to ruin it for you but right after the "I Believe" song I suggested you view above, the warlord shoves the "Book of Moron" up the leads rear end and it shows up in an x-ray on stage. Very Funny!!! Enjoy!!!

We will--and we will also see Hugh Jackman and Harry Connick Jr, if we can in their new shows.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...