25 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2015 1:45 PM by phctourist RSS

Which Marriott in Paris

fugazi Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I have enough points to redeem for my stay at a Marriot in Paris but having a hard time trying to decide between Hotel Le Parc - Trocadero Paris - 55-57 Avenue Raymond and the Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel and Conference Center- 17 Blvd. Saint Jacques. The Trocadero seems like an ideal location whereas the Rive Gauche seems a bit far off though I read better reviews with the Rive Gauche. Also, the Trocadero is 5,000 more points a night and I could use the savings with the points for another destination.

This is my first time in Paris and not sure if I'm going to be back anytime soon so I am torn on what to do. Has anyone stayed at either (or both) of these hotels and if so, can you please share your experience and advice?

• Re: Which Marriott in Paris
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi Fugazi,

Please do a search and you'll find tons of reviews by me, Jerry Morgan and many others about the different Paris Marriotts.  I had always loved the Rive Gauche until last July when I had a horrible experience and will not stay there again.  At the same time, the prices on some of the others can be very high.  I know Jerry just wrote a great review on the Marriott Arc de Triomphe and another Insider did so on the Courtyard Saint-Denis.

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

fugazi Gold

ProfChiara,

I have read your postings and sorry to hear about your bad experience, especially after all your rave reviews from before which makes my decision even more difficult.

I haven't seen to many reviews with the Trocadero Marriott and hardly any comparing the two hotels if one had a choice so I'm looking for that comparison and experiences.

r/

Fugazi

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I stayed at the Trocadero about four to five years ago and it was quite comfortable, but for me the location was not great.  (For me, admittedly, is not what most people would want.) I need to be near the Latin Quarter and the Bibliothèque Nationale.  I also found it a confusing area to navigate which is strange since I've lived in Paris for years at a time.

But it was a perfectly fine and comfortable hotel then -- I just don't know if others have had more recent experiences.

Also, my experience at the Rive Gauche may at least partially have had to do with using reward points, although I wasn't the only Insider there that particular weekend who complained. They may also be doing something about it because I posted a similar review on tripadvisor and heard from the GM of all Marriott properties in France, asking me to write to the manager at the RG.

I will probably stay at the Courtyard Saint-Denis next time I'm in Paris for any length of time. It's at the end of a metro line but easily connects to the city and is near the first Gothic church in the world, so congenial from my point of view -- and inexpensive.

ProfChiara

retired Platinum

I stayed at the Rive Gauche about 18 months ago for a weeks vacation and it was great. I stayed on points (Cat 6). The meto was close and easy to make your way around the city. Jerry and Prof. both travel alot to France so I'm sure they have much more insight but Rive Gauche was great for my vacation. 

nipper Platinum

Stayed at the Champs-Elysees which was excellent. Nice walk to pretty much anywhere you wanted and the Metro was close. Used points for 4 of us (2 queen beds) worked out well enough. Free breakfast helped because we ran up the CC bills quite nicely on that trip.  Would have been a lot with a Euro/dollar ratio of 1/1 but when it is 1 Euro to about 1.4 dollars, ouch.

Still a great hotel and a very memorable trip. Funny how those free trips (points for airfare as well) cost so d**n much money.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Fugazi,

Could you share with us some of your likes/dislikes about your travel experience.  Do you like to walk?  How many are going?  Kids?, On a tight budget? Feel comfortable with the Metro?  Like Musuems, or just want to "Kick Back" and sit in Bistro's ( I do!).

Having been just a couple of weeks ago (#57), I have been lucky to have enjoyed all of my stays.  I have never stayed at the two you are looking at, and probably never will.  There are too many other properties with +/-'s that just depend on your situation.

Fugazi, for a "First timer", you want to do this as easy and as affordable as you can.  I agree with Nipper, it is amazing how much a "Free" trip costs!

Make sure you review previous posts on Paris, they will really help you!

elitepro Member

Renaissance le Park Troccadero is a good quiet location from where you can walk to Troccadero and the the Eiffel Tower. At the Eiffel Tower, you can pick up a tourist bus to hop on and off at any of the sights like the The Louvre, Notre Dame and Opera shopping. THE Paris Marriott on the Champs Elysee is an exciting place to walk around the center of Paris, I like it but I also like the less expensive, Paris Colombes Court Yard because I had rented a car and they have a secure parking garage for self parking. See my posting on http://www.elitepro-travel.com

They have a nice restaurant at the hotel and plenty of food stores in walking distance. I particularly enjoy the french bakeries to have a snack late at night when I am jet lagged and hungry when restaurants are not open. The hotel also features a 24-hour food market. The Courtyard Paris Defense West-Colombes is close to the largest European International Business Centre (La Defense and CNIT Congress Centre) and a direct train ride to the Opera in the heart of Paris.

theolejudge Gold 4 Reviews

Fugazi

The last time inParis I stayed at the RG and enjoyed it very much--but like Jerry says it depends on your preferences while there.  For example I am a running and enjoy a 6 mile run each day. The RG is near a park that I enjoyed running in.  I am attaching my earlier report on the RG but Jerry and the Professor travel in Europe far more than I so give great attention to what either may have to stay.

Jerry Morgan, ProfChiara and New Hilton Member each of you provided tips on Paris before I traveled there for my first ever trip to Paris.  Each of you should go into the Travel Business! Thanks!  I spent five nights in the Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel, 17, boulevard Saint-Jacques.  The rooms are small but nice and the hotel is very quite.  The cost is much less expensive than the Marriott’s Champs-Elysees property (we visited the C-E property, nice!)  It is an easy ride on the RER from CDG Airport on the B line to the Denfert Rochereau Station and then proceed to the hotel.  You can switch to the # 6 Metro (green) line and exit at the St.Jacques or Glaciere Stations (the hotel is between the two stations)—however, it is easy to walk (down hill) 5 minutes to the hotel from Denfert Rochereau. The hotel staff was very nice and helpful!  There are several fine restaurants within walking of the hotel or a one or two metro stop ride.  All of Paris is within easy reach by the Metro or RER.  I would stay at the property again.  Jerry, as you suggested I bought a “Paris Visite” 5 day 6 zone pass which worked on all forms of transportation. The two day museum pass is nice also.  New Hilton Member, at your suggestion, we attended one of the many! free musical performances over the weekend, the one we attended was in the square at the Denfert Rochereau RER station-great.  We visited Versailles, Arch de Triumph, Notre Dame Cathedral, Louvre, Eiffel Tower, Boat on the Seine, Les Cars Rouges sightseeing bus, Basilique de Sacre-Coeur (some interesting streets and shops getting up the hill to the Sacre-coeur!)  My three favorite restaurants within walking of the hotel were: 1. La Closerie des Lilas 171, boulevard du Montparnasse (come to think of it I may have taken RER B from Denfert Rochereau to Port Royal Station for this place); 2. Le Pavillon Montsouris 20, rue Gazan (super food $$$$ beside a small lake located in a park where I ran in the mornings) and 3. Au Petit Marquery 9, boulevard de Port Royal (excellent food service a little slow at times).  This is my report to you three and thanks for your help in making this the best.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

I used points for my wife and my mother-in-law to spend a week in the Renaissance Paris Le Parc Trocadero property, and they loved it - absolutely raved about the experience.

I've also stayed (on business) in the Courtyard out in Neuilly, which is a nice residential area, but - for vacation - it doesn't make sense.  Go with the Renaissance - you'll enjoy the location in the center of everything.

fugazi Gold

Jerry,

My wife and I are 34 so walking around is not a big deal to us.  No kids and budget is fine since we will be using our points for the rooms and we are expecting to pay a lot for restaturants and experiences.  We were comfortable taking the DC Metro so if it's anything like that then I think we will be ok.  My wife has been taking the Rosetta Stone French and I haven't started yet :(

theolejudge, elitepro,

Thanks for sharing your experiences!  Makes the decision that much harder but getting there :)

Fugazi 

Fugazi,

Here is the way I would do it if I was you.

If you have the points, and can get in, stay at the CE Marriott.  It is a once in a lifetime experience.  Secondly, stay at the Ren. Arch, it is a great place as well.  Since you are "Metro" ready,  I really enjoy the "La Defense Ren.", it is a great value, and you are 15 minutes away from most everything.

Fugazi, you can go to the previous reports which will help you!

If you have other questions, pass them on to me.  I would really consider, getting the metro pass at the airport for the time you are there.  You will save a lot of time and money.

If you need specifics, let me know!

lakeshore Platinum 11 Reviews

I agree with Jerrycoin,

Just want to let you know, however, that if the two hotels you mentioned are the only option, then my hubby says definitely the Trocadero. He has stayed at all of the properties, except for the newer Courtyards. You really can't go wrong, as the Metro will take you anywhere you want to go. Enjoy!

bloombergtv Member

i stayed at the Paris Marriott Hotel champs Elysees and it was great. I don't like the Paris Metro because of the bad smells, though I do like to travel on the London underground.

I think that the above ground, tourist bus is the best way to see all the sights in Paris.

Yes, the "Tourist", bus is a fantastic way to see Paris/London.  You can get on/off anystop, stay as long as you like, and the price is really fair.

elysium Platinum

My wife and I just returned yesterday from a seven night stay in Paris yesterday (on points).  I don’t know about the properties you are looking at but I can highly recommend Renaissance Paris Arc de Triomphe.  The rooms are “American” sized and very nice.  All of the staff is very friendly and helpful.  It is right at the west end of the Champs-Elysees in a nice neighborhood.  From here you can walk or take a train to just about any tourist attraction in Paris.  There is a train station (Charles de Gaulle – Étoile) under the Arc de Triomphe that includes the Metro (M1, M2, & M6) and RER (A) train systems which is also very convenient.  The station is 300m or a three minute walk from the hotel.

The Renaissance Paris Le Parc Trocadero looks comparable to Renaissance Paris Arc de Triomphe.  It has that Paris neighborhood ambiance however it is not as convenient to the Metro and RER as Arc de Triomphe.  I would choose this hotel over Rive Gauche.

In my opinion Marriott Rive Gauche is too big (over 700 rooms) and remote from the center of Paris.  I would want a closer more intimate property.

The Ren, ADT is really intimate, and there are so many nice places to dine around it.  Glad you commented on this nice place!

elysium Platinum

This was my first choice too but could not get in on points for seven straight days so ended up at Renaissance Arc de Triomphe which was absolutly wonderful.

bpotter Member 13 Reviews

The Marriott Rive Gauche has a great neighborhood surrounding it.  We found so many little bistros in the area. 

chansuda Gold

I stayed at the Marriott Rive Gauche a couple of weeks ago using my points.  Because of the ongoing conferences at this conference-center hotel, it was extremely busy on weekdays and often with a long queue at reception. The elelvators are packed and slow at 8:30 in the morning.

The Executive Floor is nice and they provide generous food and drinks in the Executive Lounge.

Location-wise, it is convenient, right between two Metro stations.  The interchange, Denfert Rochereau station, is just one stattion away from St- Jaques; you can actually walk there but may be too long to walk in bad weather.  From DR, you can easily get connected for St-Germain-des-Prés, where there are plenty of interesting restaurants, and elsewhere.

I also stayed at Courtyard Paris Arcueil for 4 night during this recent trip.  It is in the south of Paris but easily reachable by RER B (make sure you choose the one that stops at 'Laplace' station).  A very convenient location right opposite a big, brand-new shopping mall. The hotel itself is less than one year old.  During my stay there were big groups of Chinese tourists. They were rather noisy and chaotic at breakfast.  The breakfast is not great anyway, but you have choices nearby.  Otherwise the hotel is fine and I would like to stay again if I come to Paris.

Chansuda   .

spengle Platinum 2 Reviews

I am so excited to find this thread, on my first time on this board, as we are just beginning to plan our week in Paris for Nov. 2012.  I look forward to reading all of the responses.  We're wish to be relatively close to the main sights as this is our first time in Paris and have not problem using the Metro.

Spengle,

Try to read the past comments on Paris!

Get some specific questions and see if we can help you!

Think about what you would like to do and see and what your budget is!.  There are plenty of people here who may be able to help you have a great time!

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Other Paris threads to check

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/photoAlbums/1101          La Défense, Paris, France

paris rive gauche

Paris Rive Gauche

Paris Champs Elysees

Marriott Champs-Elysees Paris

Marriott Paris Champs-Elysees

The BEST place in Paris! (CE)

Paris Marriott C-E...virtual concierge???

Room for 4 at CE

Transportation from Airport to C-E

Renaissance Arc de Triomphe - Paris

Courtyard Marriiott Nueilly-Sur Seine

Renaissance Place Vendome

Paris Vendome

SusanL (Renaissance Vendome)

Thanks & CDG to Renaissance Le Parc Trocadero  (Renaissance Le Parc Trocadero)

Paris! "Never better!"   (Arc d'Triomphe trip report)

Surprise (discussion on Paris sights & hotels)

Paris Marriott C-E vs. Renaissance Paris Vendome

Paris CE or Place Vendome feedback please

First time in Paris in May - Arc de Triomphe or Parc Trocadero or Marriott C-E?First time in Paris in May - Arc de Triomphe or Parc Trocadero or Marriott C-E?

Which Marriott in Paris?

Paris, What Hotel?

Where to stay ?

Paris hotels

Help us choose our Paris hotel!

Paris in April-Marriott/Renaissance

Paris, France late April, early May which of the hotels have Executive Lounge any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you  

What location and hotel would you suggest for Paris.  I will be going in mid September.

list hotels close to downtown Paris

Best Hotel in London & Paris

Hotel and Metro in Paris (hotel airport transporation options)

Summer Travel Story Conclusion (Paris pictures)

Summer Travel Story (Paris Pictures Part 2)

Perks at Paris Charles De Gaulle Airport Marriott and the Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel  

Parisian Hospitality!

Complementary breakfast for Platinum members in Paris?

My favorite Paris hotel...

Which Marriott in Paris        

Paris by Train

Paris nightlife

Paris in May ?

Happy Bastille Day- Paris Summer Story!   

Paris with kids

Parisien Dining - Le Marais.  Any suggestions?

Paris to Normandy

Best Hotel in London & ParisParis! "Never better!"

Marriott Paris Champs-Elysees

Location Brand Hotel
    Paris, France Marriott Hotels & Resorts Paris Marriott Champs Elysees Hotel
    Paris, France Marriott Hotels & Resorts Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel & Conference Center
    Paris, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris Vendome Hotel
    Paris, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris Le Parc Trocadero Hotel
    Paris, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris Arc de Triomphe Hotel
    Neuilly Sur Seine, France Courtyard By Marriott Residence Inn Cincinnati North/Sharonville
    Saint Denis, France Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Paris Saint Denis
    dadunmyer Platinum 1 Reviews

We (family of 4) have stayed at both locations. We've found them to be very good. They are "European Small" in comparison to many locations in the states... but that is what it is. Both choices are good.

dadunmyer Platinum 1 Reviews

We (family of 4) have stayed at both locations. We've found them to be very good. They are "European Small" in comparison to many locations in the states... but that is what it is. Both choices are good.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

My wife and I stayed at Trocedaro about 5 years ago and at Rive Gauche in 2014.  The rooms at Rive Gauche were nicer and they have a CL and the price is better.  I found the staff, there to be spectacular!  It is more convenient for Metro. 

Trocadero has a fabulous location and the building has a bit more atmosphere, but the prices are higher and the rooms are less well lit.  It has more nice restaurants and and shops close by.

On our next trip to Paris, we plan to stay at Rive Gauche.  The lounge and staff are the kicker!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...