6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 22, 2011 12:11 AM by powergirl RSS

Camelback Resort and SPA

ideaman Platinum
Currently Being Moderated
I'd like to provide feedback on my recent stay at the Camelback. My wife and I have visited the Camelback yearly for the past 10 years or so. We've always enjoyed the resort and spa. However, this last visit was disappointing. I made reservations several months in advance and requested an upgraded room. Our reservations were for 10 nights. When we arrived on Saturday, September 3rd, we were given a map with the building "circled" and two keys. As we were driving to the building, we noticed there was no room number on the key folder or the map. We returned to the front desk to get the room number. When we finally arrived at the room, there were two lights out in the room and several lights out on the walkway to the room. The room was the smallest room we have ever had at the Camelback. Ten days in a small hotel room did not meet expectations. I talked to the front desk the next morning and was told that all the rooms at the Camelback had been sold to private owners and that there's not much discretion on what room a guest receives. I stopped back later on and talked to another front desk clerk who said they might be able to move us to a better room on Monday, the third day of our ten day stay. They said they would call me Monday and arrange for a move. I did not receive a call so I called the front desk again. They promised to call when a room was ready. No call received. I stopped at the front desk again and they said the room wasn't ready. Monday afternoon at 5:00 pm, I still had not received a call. Finally after returning from dinner at 9:30 pm, I stopped at the front desk (still no call) and was told that we had been moved to a larger room. The larger room (similar to what we had stayed in the last 10 years) made the rest of the stay much more enjoyable. My complaint is this -it appears that Camelback management is totally disengaged. It was perfectly obvious to me that very few of the other guests-if any-stayed for 10 days. Yet we were given one of the smallest rooms in the resort. My platinum status and customer loyalty to this facility meant absolutely nothing. From all indications, it appears this is the new culture at the Camelback Inn. Given the deterioration of service, I expect we will stay at another resort in the future.
  • Re: Camelback Resort and SPA
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

This is a very sad piece of news--I had hoped that Flagship Properties (Camelback being the leader) would not have resorted to this kind of treatment, but alas it seems that they have.

What I am sensing from this and other posts is that Marriott, intentionally or not, is moving from customer service to filling more and more rooms.  Perhaps the upswing in travel since 2008 is to blame or the bottom- line theory of lodging has taken hold, I don't know?  What seems to be happening is that a corporate culture change is taking place everywhere and we (as Insiders and loyal customers) have noticed it before others.  Sure hope that I am mistaken but your post starts me worrying.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

This is NOT good news!

Having had a great time in the past and another week scheduled for January, I am going to have a "Back-up" plan.

I do not want to spend a week or more, and do it in tiny room.

Keep the reports coming, this has been one of my favorite properties.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

platinumstar Platinum 3 Reviews

I feel your pain and disappointment. I love the Camelback and have been going there on and off for almost 20 years but visting from the UK means that i cannot visit as often as i would like within one year and always seem to have a problem with my room allocation. I know what I want and often get taken to something that is completely the opposite to what i want. Loyalty does not always get recognised and as a Plat member I would expect it to. I have always paid for my stays, however, my stay from the 8th Dec will be using my well earnt MR points so am concerned that I too will be shunted into a tiny room that I dont like. I'm also not happy about the resort fee, i dont use the items offered and feel it should be an option and not forced. I hope not to pay it this time. I am returning because it is the most amazing peaceful environment and the new features like the restaurant etc have been done with great attention which i love. There is nowhere else like it,

traveler2 Platinum

So sorry for your experience. This property is on my list of vacations and I hope this post persuades management to make some changes!

I am just curious! Did you use a AAA discount or another kind? Use points? Advance payment discount? Seems every time I use a AAA discount or points my room is a disappointment. Just curious as to what your was.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

What does "I talked to the front desk the next morning and was told that all the rooms at the Camelback had been sold to private owners and that there's not much discretion on what room a guest receives." mean?

powergirl Platinum 4 Reviews

How ironic! I was at Camelback during the same time (arrived August 28, departed September 9) and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I was given an upgraded room with a beautiful view (my room was directly in the center of the resort, facing Rita's and the mountain). My only complaints were 1) the unbearable heat *but, what else would I expect, right?* and 2) my noisy neighbors who were obviously reacquainting their "love" for one another. Otherwise, I truly enjoyed my two-week business trip. The staff was very pleasant, and catered to my every need!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...