12 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2012 2:57 PM by proelite RSS

Why are there no Marriott Beach hotels near Houston?

proelite Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Houston is the fourth largest city in the USA and Galveston Beach is the closest beach for Houstonians but there are no Marriott hotels. Is it because too many people would use rewards? http://www.usabrands.biz/a-grand-historic-beach-hotel-and-spa.aspx  I miss having an Marriott hotel in Gaveston on the beach. The Galvez was a marriott but now is a Wyndham. Wyndham Brand of Hotels have two luxury hotels in Galveston. The Tremont House, A Wyndham Grand Hotel and the Hotel Galvez. The Galvez is a Grand old hotel called the, "Queen of the Gulf."

There is a Hilton Holiday inn and all other brands

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Galveston, Texas, USA
  • Re: Why are there no Marriott Beach hotels near Houston?
    bloombergtv Member

I am curious to know why the Galveston Marriott became a Wyndam hotel. Do you think that too many people used points to stay?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I stayed at the Wyndham and saw that they are building a Marriott! I cant wait because it is such a great place to spend a weekend in the warm sea water of the gulf of Mexico

travelvlaan Member

Marriott hotels seem to have mostly modern hotels. The historic Hotel Galvez & Spa, A Wyndham as really a Grand old world Hotel in Galveston, Texas. It is a great place to relax. I wish I had stayed there when it was a Marriott because I like to stay loyal to one chain.

nltravel Member

yes you would think that such a big city would have a nice hotel at the closest point to the beach. we may stay at the lower brands when we travel for business but we like luxury when on vacation at the beach.

• Why are there no Marriott Beach hotels near Houston?

Hotel Galvez & Spa, invites guests to embark on enthralling ghost hunts during the month of October http://www.elitepro-travel.com/2011/10/historic-places-for-spooktacular-visit.html

fhllast4ever Platinum

Maybe because Galveston is frequently in the path of hurricanes?  If you noticed,there are very few Marriotts right on the beach.

They usually build on the bayside.

bloombergtv Member

I saw jayLo stayed at the Wyndham Grand Hotel and the Hotel Galvez a couple of months ago

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Living in Houston I really don't think of Galveston as a place I want to visit for a beautiful beach.  Much rather see a Marriott Resort on St. Maarten.

kingkamea Platinum 1 Reviews

I just spent 2 weeks in Galveston, TX. I'm sure I'm somewhat bias, but I'm guessing it because Galveston is worse than a nuclear holocaust zone in the off-season. There was absolutely no night life and most restaurants were closed for the season. Thank God for Landry's Seafood, I think they stayed open for me every night!

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Two Marriott properties are due to open in Galveston in the spring 2013.  They are currently being constructed on Seawall Blvd. right across the street from the beach!  According to the sign, a Courtyard and a Townplace Suites will be opening; however, the desk agent at the Springhill Suites said she thought a Courtyard and a Residence Inn are being built.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...