13 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2011 4:07 AM by arkwright RSS

Harassment

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Insiders and the MR Insiders Team

Is there an explicit statement (somewhere easily to hand) of the site's policy on harassement and of the process it follows by way of implementation.

I ask because of twice in the last month I have been deemed guilty of this offence. The circumstances seemed a little odd:

1. The person I was deemed to have harassed was Pingreeman - who does not seem at first sight an obvious candidate for this treatment. Pingreeman: if I have caused the level of offence that caused you to complain, then you have my immediate and unreserved apologies.

2. The context was P's analysis of the incidence/frequency of posts. In each case, I thanked and congratulated him twice for what I felt was a useful and thought-provoking input. In each case, the moderator's decision was conveyed to me at least 7 days after my response appeared. In neither case did the moderator gave any indication of what in my contribution constituted "harassment".

3. I have never been adjudged guilty of harassment at any point in a long, professional career.

4. I sent an e-mail, via the "feedback" facility on the site, explaining my concerns and asking for some clarification. After a month, I have not received any response from anywhere in the Marriott organisation.

This seems unreasonable.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Harassment
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

One can only hope that the new vendor replacing Live World will be a lot more understanding and able to discern what is normally a sincere reply and what is not.  I do know from personal experience that certain words,  generated a removal notice so let's see if that happens with this one?

Arkwright I would never see you as offensive or offending, for what it's worth.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I'm not certain why I feel the need to weigh in on this, but here goes.  I find the two parties, Pingreeman and Arkwright, thoughtful and provacative posters.  I find neither offesive in any way and would wonder if something was taken out of context.  then again, I would not want to presume to know or understand the facts of the situation.

I hope time has healed any wounds.

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

I have been offended by neither of them at any time and find the contributions helpful and appreciated.

I had a comment deleted after a particularly unsatisfying stay at the Atlanta Marriott downtown.  Athough I might have been fairly grumpy at the time I wrote it, I most certainly wasn't impressed at the comments being nuked.

My advice to the censors here would be to make sure they are careful, one wrong click and tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars in revenue go to the competition.

It can and will happen.  More dialogue when a post is in question is required.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I too have always enjoyed immensely both Arkwright and Pingreeman's posts and have found nothing remotely resembling harassment.

Keep posting!

ProfChiara

Dear SS, Shoeman, Techie and ProfC,

Many thanks for your advice and counsel. Very helpful. In my naivete, I hadn't appreciated that the role of "moderator" has been outsourced rather than being undertaken by the MR Insider team. That information makes matters much easier to understand and accept.

I hope you each found yesterday's ceremonies - difficult as they must have been - cathartic in the best sense.

Again, my thanks

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Arkwright - no need to apologize! I thought your comments regarding Frequency of Posts was insightful and I replied in kind. Whatever happened to imply I was offended in any way was not by or through me - it was 100% interpretation by the moderator.

I've been posting to MRI since 09/08. In these three years, I have had 3 or 4 posts yanked from a thread followed by a "nasty-gram" from the moderator, spanking me in the process. Admittedly, one post was out of line and I deserved the court-martial. However, the other postings left me puzzled as to what was so offensive as there were no explanations but a "canned" e-mail notification that the post had been censored.

Lastly, IF I WERE to feel slighted or harrassed, I would rather send a message directly to the MRI member rather than to slug it out on a thread - which I have actually done a couple of times - dilution theory anyone?

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I too have gotten some bounced back.  It usually involves a word that the computer finds offensive (often for no reason I can figure out easily -- it is a very censorious computer).  When I've figured out what the offending word is and replace it, I send again and it usually accepts it.

ProfChiara

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Hello Arkwright, Thank you for reaching out for clarification and I will get back you personally as I am already looking into the specifics of your particular post. To help clarify, were you notified that your replies to two different threads were deleted or did you try to repost a similar reply to the same thread after the first reply was deleted?

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Arkwright:

I have always enjoyed your postings and have never seen anything that has been offensive. It makes one wonder what the real process is that is used to determine a 'bad' or 'offensive' post.

I know that some of my posts have been very strong in getting a point across.

I hope you will keep posting.

Thank you, Andy.

I submitted three posts in response to Pingreeman's "Frequency of Posts" piece. The first was returned after about a week at which point I sent a supportive "holding" reply and then, after a few days, I submitted a marginally edited version of the first post; this was returned too after another week.

For me, the issues of principal to clarify are that (a) we are all singing to the same hymm sheet; and (b) whatever the moderating procedure is, it is not arbitrary.

Pingreeman,

Many thanks for yours. And I totally agree with your "preferred approach".

A

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Hello again Arkwright, and thanks for your earlier clarification. As it turns out, the posts in question were taken out of context and mistakenly rejected. However the post has since been restored.

In this particular case, by posting an iteration of the original message, the moderation team flagged each post during different sweeps through the site. This is a good learning opportunity to improve the site as want everyone to feel comfortable participating in relevant and respectful conversations between Marriott Rewards members.

Thanks again for reaching out and for your continued contributions to the community.

Regards, Andy

Andy,

Thank you for your clarification and comment.  Thank you too to all the Insiders who contributed an opinion.

I feel my questions have been fairly addressed. As far as I'm concerned, the issue is now closed.

Andy: You have a lot on your plate at the moment.

Good luck

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...