This discussion is locked
Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

1 2 3 11 Previous Next 165 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2012 4:29 PM by NathalieF RSS

Marriott Rewards Visa Card

blackellis Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Hi

Does anyone know what, if anything, will replace the Marriott Reward Visa Card in the UK?

Halifax currently supply the card and are parting ways with Marriott and the end of September and I would rather have a Marriott Visa card than a 'Premier' Halifax card.

Thx

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 1. Re: Marriott Rewards Visa Card
    platinumstar Platinum 3 Reviews

I am really angry about this and it is very short sighted of Marriott to discontinue their Visa card without having a replacement in place to offer us, after all, the new Megabonus requires us to use a Visa card (Ok we can get another, but not a Marriott one).

Maybe someone from Marriott wishes to answer the question and while they are at it, can Marriott say why UK residents have been so poorly treated with the Visa card compared to US residents. The current US Visa card that is flashed up on Marriott.com teases us to apply and get the following, which is a darn sight better than the 2 points per UK pound offered and 10 night elite credit. We should all be part of the Marriott family if we are members and not treated differently if we live in the UK. Your answers please Mr Marriott?

Get the Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card from Chase and get a head start on your next vacation. Every purchase you make earns points toward Marriott® hotel stays, airline miles, Elite guest services and more.

Experience These Exclusive Cardmember Benefits*

50,000 points for new applications 

• Earn Points Faster With Everyday PurchasesLIST OF 4 ITEMS.

• ITEM ONE. 5 points for every $1 spent at over 3,400 Marriott® locations
    • ITEM TWO. 2 points for every $1 spent on eligible dining, airline and rental car purchases
    • ITEM THREE. 1 point for every $1 spent on purchases anywhere else
    • ITEM FOUR. Unlimited Point Accumulation
    • Achieve Elite Status Faster with Annual Credit and Everyday Purchases LIST OF TWO ITEMS.
    • ITEM ONE. 15 Nights Credit toward your next Elite membership level every year upon account anniversary
    • ITEM TWO. Earn 1 Elite Night Credit for every $3,000 spent

Plus receive an anniversary bonus of one free night stay at a category
    1-5 hotel every year!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 2. Re: Marriott Rewards Visa Card
    bazzap Platinum

I could not agree more.

The decision to stop the Halifax card must have been made sufficiently long ago to have planned the introduction of an alternative offer in ample time.

Marriott are still unable to confirm if? / when a new offer will be introduced.

I was originally advised by Marriott (by email) that I would be able to continue collecting Marriott Rewards points by using the card beyond the October date Halifax quoted, as a 90 day extension had been agreed.

However, within a very short time, I received an apologetic email advising this would not be possible after all!

This seems to be another example of how UK / European customers lose out - other examples are
    Marriott Promotions sent by email, which on trying to take them up say for US residents only
    Marriott Destination Club options, which are not available to Marriott Vacation Club owners of european resorts

A global company with a global offering for a global customer base would be most welcome, or is that really too much to ask for?

• 3. Re: Marriott Rewards Visa Card

Thank you bazzap. I had quite forgotten all of the offers made that are exclusive for US citizens or only for US hotels. The UK does seem to do pretty poorly with deals from Marriott. I wish someone from Marriott would speak up and support us, we seem to be like the poor relations of a global company.

• 4. Re: Marriott Rewards Visa Card
    markzz2 Platinum 1 Reviews

I agree too.

Don't understand why an alternative has not been offered, and I will be losing out big time as I have 16 nights booked in November which I will earn nothing on.

The mis information in the first e mail (which said we could earn until January 2012) is also inexcusable and I feel really let down.

I can only hope that a really good alternative is offered before I depart otherwise my loyalty will be really tested.

If I were Marriott I would have sent out e mails at the same time as Halifax, and offered the new card at the same time. Maybe a contractual issue stopped that from happening.

Halifax have lost my business already. Come on Marriott, what is going on? I do not have another Visa card so will no longer be able to take part in the Marriott Visa Promotions.

Its a poor show and a kick in the teeth for UK members who already have to work harder to keep up the Elite membership and points balance!

• 5. Re: Marriott Rewards Visa Card

And just to mrub salt in to the wound yet again this morning I receive in the post the Fall 2011 Megabonus featuring VISA!

I could scream. I will not have a visa card thanks to Marriott.

• 6. Re: Marriott Rewards Visa Card
    jordanpa Platinum 2 Reviews

I received notice of termination at teh same time of the invitation to participate in the Autumn Megabonus that requires payment with Visa.

Guess what - I'm now the owner of a nice shiny new hhonors platinum visa which I'll be using for the next 3 months.

• 7. Re: Marriott Rewards Visa Card

As the OP of this thread (merged with this one) , can SOMEONE from Marriott please make note of this and RESPOND? I too have a Hilton Visa card - do Marriott really want us using our HH card for Marriott charges especially as the Mega bonus offer requires us to pay by Visa.

• 8. Re: Marriott Rewards Visa Card
    derekoh Silver 3 Reviews

Also, as a UK Marriott Rewards VISA card holder, don't we get 10 nights accredited to our awards account, effectively putting us straight onto Silver - does that go away too when the cards stop?

• 9. Re: Marriott Rewards Visa Card
    bazzap Platinum

Well, unfortunately it certainly goes away until such time as any replacement card is introduced and offers a similar benefit (or preferably a better benefit, as with their US cards)

It would be a great initiative by Marriott if, in recognition of negative impact this change is having on loyal UK customers, they decide to offer a new card with improved benefits and bonus elite nights very soon.

We look forward to an urgent Marriott update on this topic.

Thank you

• 10. Re: Marriott Rewards Visa Card
    thobbs Platinum

Hi,

I am a UK citizen and have recently got a job with requires me to stay in a UK marriott hotel 4 nights a week for atleast the next 6 months. So thought it would be a good idea to get a marriott credit card to gain more points. But from what iam reading there is nothing available, is this correct?

If so would someone from the Marriott group let us know very soon if they are going to be bringing out a credit card otherwise i will be switching to another company.

• 11. Re: Marriott Rewards Visa Card
    blackellis Gold

Sorry for not posting back but I can see I have stirred up a little hornets nest here

Do Marriott read these forums? I am beginning to think they do not so it looks like I might just have to follow everyone elses lead and plump for a HH Visa card (do not want this, I want a Marriott Visa card with the same benefits as our American cousins!!!!)

To thobbs - yes unfortunately you will not be able to get one from Marriott unless they provide one at the last minute.

• 12. Re: Marriott Rewards Visa Card

Totally fed up about this situation.

I was loyal to Marriott and applied for their VISA card, got rid of all my other Visa cards, and now have got 20 nights booked between now and December which I am hoping to qualify for the Megabonus with. However I have to use my ex Marriott Visa card and earn no benefits.

Will Marriott honour the Megabonus if I use AMEX which at least I earn miles on?

• 13. Re: Marriott Rewards Visa Card
    NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Greetings blackellis and Insiders, we are looking to launch another Marriott Rewards Credit Card in the UK in the near future and we'll let you know as soon as we have an update. In the meantime, you can continue to earn Marriott Rewards points through our program channels, including earning points for each pound spent at over 3,200 Marriott hotels worldwide, and other methods described at MarriottRewards.co.uk.

• 14. Re: Marriott Rewards Visa Card

Thank you for your response.

Will Marriott consider honouring the Megabonus if registered with the defunct Marriott Visa Card but now being paid by another (non visa) card?

I am not only losing points as I no longer have a Marriott Credit Card, but I am also now excluded from the promotion because Marriott cancelled the Contract with Halifax Visa. Lose Lose!

Meantime I am not inclined to apply for another Visa card until you announce who your new partner will be.

1 2 3 11 Previous Next