14 Replies Latest reply: Oct 21, 2011 12:36 AM by travelingalong RSS

Please start counting free nights towards elite status

conman Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I find it discouraging that Marriott still does not count "free" stays towards elite night credit to requalify. I say "free" stays because "free" is relative: these nights are earned and paid for with previous stays :-). Not having them count towards elite renewal discourages me from using points for stays and instead I go for airline mileage or travel packages with the low 5 nights hotel portion (available to MVCI owners) - or give the free hotel stays away. Marriott: any plans to change this?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Please start counting free nights towards elite status
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

That would be great!!!  Here's hoping this will work.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Conman

do you receive airline miles when you book a free flight using airline points?

I'm not asking for points: just asking to count the night spent at the hotel. Not quite the same. Starwood just implemented counting award stays...

curiousone Platinum

I started a discussion on this subject back on December 30, 2010 under "Room Night Credit for Reward Point Usage?". You may want to search for the posts because we had a pretty good discussion. The end result was no credit counting free nights. I did learn one trick that I have been using: Marriott Cheques. I purchase $1,000 in Marriott cheques for 135,000 MR points. I pay for the room and anything I charge to the room with the Marriott cheques and get full room credit and points as if I used my Marriott Visa card. I still end up with free nights that I need to burn, but I am getting night credits.

traveler2 Platinum

Curious one, can you please tell me where you found the cheques for 135,000 points. Were they on a special deal at the time? All I can find is 1000/for 250,000. I want your deal!! :-)

shashack Platinum 4 Reviews

Marriott Rewards,>Use Marriott Reward Points>Travel and Leisure>Hotel Services & Extras

Marriott Cheques - Elite Only $1000 - 135,000 points

curiousone Platinum

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Marriott would be the first loyalty program to my knowledge to give "night credit" for nights paid with points. There is no incentive for them to implement this idea. Ditto for airlines - none to my knowledge earn "status" when using miles.

The benefit to the hotel is that the program member uses free nights at their properties - and therewith spends money there still, on meals, drinks etc rather than see the program member use the points for something else that Marriott in the end pays more for than alowing a "free" night. BTW note that Starwood just started counting award nights towards qualification....

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

When I was a Hilton Honors member, they counted free nights as points.  I don't know whether they still do or not, but it's worth checking.

ProfChiara

Segments Platinum 4 Reviews

Yes, Hilton Honors programs counts your free award stay nights towards your nights/stays needed for elite status.

Hilton doesn't do roll over nights so perhaps that is the trade-off.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

SPG counts free award stay nights since October 1, 2011.

See link below:

http://www.spgpromos.com/awardnightscount/index.cfm?language=en_us&IM=ENC_SPG_B1

travelingalong Platinum

I agree. Those of us who are loyal and frequent customers show be recognized.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...