44 Replies Latest reply: Jan 29, 2012 9:27 PM by michellel RSS

Rollover nights 2011 to 2012?

conman Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I emailed MR asking whether 2011 nights above a threshold will be rolled over to 2012. They didn't know. Anyone have any info? I'm at 75 nights but don't have enough travel left this year to aim for Premier. So, I'm wondering: do more Marriott and have those nights roll over to 2012 - or aim for highter status with e.g. Hilton the rest of this year...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Washington, D.C., Virginia, USA
  • Re: Rollover nights 2011 to 2012?
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

As far as I know the program is still alive, but no one has mentioned this (yet).

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

I, too, believe that it will continue, but I haven't heard anything definite yet, either. As I already have over 100 nights this year, I'll be very upset if they suddenly eliminate the caryover nights program.

nhtraveler

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

I believe this will continue as well!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Don't forget that, according to the MR Rollover program as presented at the beginning of the year, ANY rollover nights credited to you in 2011 (rollover from 2010) will be deducted from any rollover nights you have in the bank from stays in 2011 before any are credited in 2012.

Sound confusing?........If you got 10 rollover nights credited in 2011 (from 2010 rollover) and have 85 stays this year, you get zero rollover nights credited in 2012 because they take back the 10 nights that were credited in 2011. 85 nights on your 'stay' total this year, 10 nights are rollover nights credited at the beginning of the year, is 85 - 10 = 0 rollover for 2012.

richmondredsox Platinum 8 Reviews

Any idea if these rollover nights will include promotial, or do they simply rollover the nights that you actually stayed?  I had a "double nights" promotion that I have almost 50 nights that I hope will also roll over.

Just wondering if anyone knew.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

I think all nights count toward the Rollover.  Best thing to do is call the Platinum toll free number.  I have yet to receive any incorrect information.

romtwindad Gold

This thread caught my interest so I call my Gold customer support line to see what they would tell me.  My situation is that I'm currently Gold for 2011 and have 45 nights this year.  I had no rollover nights from 2010 to 2011 so my expectation was that if I had no more stays this year, all nights in excess of the 10 needed for Silver status would roll over to 2012.  By this logic I would start 2012 with (45 - 10 =) 35 nights.  The customer service rep told me that instead they have extended my Gold status through January of 2013 and that by doing this I would start 2012 with no rollovers from 2011.  I suppose this is a good deal (I am pleased) but part of me was thinking it would have been cool to start the year with those 35 nights and then achieve Gold with just 15 nights and Platinum with 40 nights.  I'm glad I called in any case.

Location Brand Hotel
    Washington, D.C., Virginia, USA
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Well Beethoven... It's 2012. What is the OFFICIAL word? Rollover or no rollover for 2011 into 2012? Has Marriott made a declaration?

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Greetings conman (nice username) and other Insiders

We are extending our popular Elite Rollover Nights promotion, which will be included in your renewal kits. That means any nights stayed above your renewal level in 2011 will carry over to 2012.

Safe travels!

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Did you really mean in 2012 carrying over to 2013, or were you meaning in 2011 carrying over to 2012?  Thanks.

thanks - I've updated the previous post.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

communitymanager

not sure what you meant by "thanks".  can you clarify if Marriott was committing to 2012 rolling into 2013 already??  seems odd to commit to that already.

thanks

imagrits Platinum 1 Reviews

thanks for the confirmation.. this is a HuGE benefit for many....if you add rolllover nights to credit card bonus nights, a person can often be within a few stays of making GOLD before setting foot in a hotel!  Nice Perk!

utilitytravel Platinum 1 Reviews

A caveat should be offered in your original explanation.   If an Elite member had Rollover nights that carried over from 2010 to 2011, and counted towards nights stayed and Elite status in 2011, those nights are deducted from the Member's total when calculating potential Rollover nights from 2011 to 2012.  In other words, Rollover nights count only once.   In my case, I ended the year 2011 with 82 nights.   However, 10 of those were Rollovers from 2010, leaving me with 72 nights for purpose of Rollover calculation.   When Rollover nights were credited on January 15th, I had none.

Marriott Associate Member

You are correct, utilitytravel.  Rollover nights only count once.

berkeley Platinum

Dont feel bad Utilitytravel Marriott took 21 one nights from me.  My end of year balance was 108 nights at the end of this year but  since some of those rolled from 2010 and I only stayed 81 nights this year Marriott only rolled 6 nights forward.  It would appear that some roll over nights don't ever get counted at all.  Live and learn this time I will switch to Hilton once I reach 75.  The whole disappering nights seems very dishonest and is extremely frustating.

Berk,

Rollover nights are good for one year. I think that's fair.

berkeley Platinum

Well that makes one of us.  My 2010 nights that rolled into 2011 were not necessary for me to earn platinum status but they should have reduced the number of nights taken from my account to reach platinum for 2012 allowing the extra nights i earned above what I needed to achieve platinum status to be carried into 2012 for 2013.  Essentially they were wasted and I should have stayed at Hilton earn higher status there.

travellots Gold

Good Afternoon,

Can someone please help, I called the Platinum Elite guest services line and they were very arguementive and rude.  My question was regarding my points.  In 2011 I had 167 rollover nights, I received my congratulations email stating I am a Platinum member again for 2012.  However, I just had a recent stay and was checking to ensure I received credit when I noticed my points are now at 0.

When I spoke with the guest service rep and then her supervisor they both said that they did not rollover for this year because you can only use them once????  I thought I should have 92 nights left once the 75 nights for platinum was taken.

Please can someone advise me as to what I am suppose to do or who I can call or email to get this corrected, or am I wrong?

Thank you so much!

Bridget

travellots Gold

let me make a correct in 2011 I had 150 Rollover nights from 2010.....I had 17 nights stay for 2011.......I can understand rollover nights only being used once so when they took the entire 150 nites that were "rollovers" to make me platinum, I understand that.   What I dont understand is why did they also take the 17 nights as well leaving me with 0.  I had enough (150 points) to qualify me for platinum so they should have left the 17 nights for this year. 

I asked the lady "If I had not stayed at all last year and just had those 150 rollover nights, I would still have qualified for platinum elite, the supervisor said "Yes".  So the 17 nights that I did stay last year meant nothing?  She hung up on me....very disrespectful. 

I just need clarification as to why I am at 0 now, like I never stayed at all last year.      

Greetings travellots - nice username ! We're checking into your account and will be in touch.

travellots Gold

Thank you for looking into to this.  As I had said before I totally understand about the 150 "rollover" nights from 2010 being used (75) to qualify me for platinum and taking the other 75 because they can only rollover once. But the 17 nights in 2011 I had remaining were never rolled over nor should have been taking because I had already made platinum.  I have been platinum for a very long time, although have not reached platinum premier because I keep using my points for stays to go see my son at college or purchasing items from your shopping book..lol  I have always stayed at Marriotts for the past 20yrs, it's just sad when you see such dramatic changes that aren't always for the best of their loyal customers as well as customer service not being what it use to be.  Hope to hear from you soon and again I really appreciate you looking into this. 

In the meantime, here are some FAQ's regarding rollover nights, http://www.marriott.com/marriott/eliterolloverFAQs.mi

ujenn Platinum

Just got off the phone with Platinum service and got an explanation that motivated me to post...and take a good chunk of my business to Hilton after I reach status again this year.

We had a total of 193 nights this year

85 of those nights were rollover

108 were stays --actual nights spent at hotel

This was  a low stay year for us...so you woudl think the way it works is 85 -75 to renew platinum...the 10 roll over nights expire and then 108 nights roll over

NOPE..the roll over nights don't count for anything if you reach status with actual nights...so they took 75 nights from the 108 we stayed and we got 33 roll over nights this year...and the 85 roll overs from last year mean and meant nothing...not happy and now that I understand what they have done this year Marriott will get 42 nights of our money and Hilton will get the rest...I guess if less nights stayed and less loyalty is what Marriott was looking for this year with their new rollover rules then they got it.

So what Marriott's roll over FAQ's should say but don't...either out of ignorance or a desire to mislead is;

Roll over nights only apply if you do not acheive status using actual stays

Roll over nights are not applied and do not rollover if you acheive status using actual nights stayed

Roll over nights are actually useless if you are a frequent loyal customer

Roll over nights only count for something if you do not reach status using actual stays

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

ujenn -- maybe you missed it, but it's been posted here numerous times that rollover nights only carry over one year.  Rollover nights from 2010 into 2011 don't continue into 2012.  But, we live in a great country where if you're not satisfied with something, there are always options.  Hope you come back to insiders and let us know how Hilton handles rollover nights.

One year is fair.

ujenn Platinum 2 Reviews

Maybe you missed what I wrote...I know that the roll over nights only count for one year...What was not clear is that the rollover nights...85 rolled over from 2010 to 2011...didn't count for ANYTHING...because I stayed for 108 nights. What I am not pleased with is the fact that it is very unclear in fact really not stated at all that they do not apply rollover nights toward your status until they apply your actual nights stayed. So in fact I would have been better off using my 108 nights stayed increasing my status at other locations and then the 85 roll over nights would have actually applied towards my status last year and wow I would be in the same place I am in now.  And yes I do have options which is why I stated I will be using any excess nights at properties increasing my status so when a Marriott isn't the best choice..and often it is not... I no longer feel compelled to stay.

And if you look through the thread there are several people curious at to why they have 0000 roll over the fact that they apply stay nights toward your status first and then your roll over nights is why so many people have zero roll over...and why when I called platinum service today the CS rep said this was the 15th call she had received today regarding this...I would say they either made a sly change this year or somehow none of us noticed this in previous years.

And yes painedplatinum one year is fair if it's actually applied to something....

ujenn,

I think this might be one of those benefits some more than others.  It seems it might have been pointed towards members who were just staying enough short of a level, to give them the opportunity to get that level for a while.  As an example, if you stayed about 30 nights a year on average, without the rollover plan, you would always get to the 10 nights for silver every year.  With the rollover plan, you would have gotten to Silver level the first year and the extra 20 nights would carry over to the next year.  The next years 30 would add to the 20 rolled over from the year prior and you would be Gold the next year.  The year you were Gold, you might still only get 30 nights and might lose it the next year, depending on how things worked out.  You're right in that this doesn't benefit the super stayers, except maybe to help their lifetime total nights go up.

evilchez69 Platinum 5 Reviews

I just got mine....last week.

I think the "rollover nights" feature is extraordinary in the industry and Marriott should be applauded for it!  Regarding ujenn's comments, I understand his frustration but we all know this was a gift (temporary marketing ploy) from Marriott, and as my mother used to say  " don't look a gift-horse in the mouth".....

ujenn Platinum 4 Reviews

It's really only a gift if they've given you something...in this case they really haven't given anything...unless you spent a lot of time at a Marriott in 2010 and none in 2011...so what they have told me is I should only stay every other year with Marriott and the other year with another brand.

So really I guess it is a gift...this way when we go to use points and stay for vacations we have better selection by choosing between Marriott and Hilton properties and not just giving all of our money to Marriott....not sure why I didn't think of this sooner.

I hear you ujenn.  The only real benefit rollover nights gives the road warrior with more than 75 nights a year is the added nights toward your lifetime account.  It helped me quite a bit over the last 2 years in bonus nights toward lifetime platinum.  Maybe with you it did also.  Either way, as Husker said so eloquently, the option of where you stay is yours.  Use your vote wisely.

safe travels

ujenn Platinum 4 Reviews

shoeman,

Do rollover nights really count toward lifetime P??? I thought for LP they only counted actual nights stayed... If they did then they might actually be a gift...but that sounds like they would be counting those points twice...I'll have to go look and see what our progress looks like compared to actual nights stayed.

ujenn

yes, for sure my lifetime nights rose by the amount of nights rolled over into 2011 and again for those that rolled over into 2012.  can anyone else confirm this in their account?

shoeman,

I think mine did too.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

shoeman:

If I follow your post correctly, I think you are saying that rollover nights have been credited towards your lifetime accrual (total nights). If that is the case....you got a good deal. Enjoy it! According to the 'rollover' program details (before they took them down) rollover nights did not count towards lifetime nights.

Those nights counting towards total nights and lifetime achievement have been the topic of posts here and one of the community managers also chimed in on this forum (a Pingreeman post) that ONLY 'nights stayed and paid' count towards Lifetime stays (if only I could find it). My rollover nights credited in years past have never increased the number of my total nights. I'm jealous if you got em added to lifetime!

travellots Gold 8 Reviews

Shoeman LP varies...not just on your nights, I had more nights than another coworker and more points (over 600,000) however she got the LP last year (2011) and I just got Platinum Elite again.  She spent her points on buying a TV and a Laptop in which I only got a laptop with my points so that might have helped her too.   Oh and did I mention I have been a member at least 10yrs longer than her.  So I am not sure of what they truly look at.  Something just the luck of the draw...lol

Marriott Associate Member

Greetings!  There is no randomness to achieving Lifetime.  It is a combination of three factors:  Total nights, total years at a level, and total spend.  All three variables need to be met in order for lifetime to be achieved.  Also - say you achive Gold Lifetime but your activity in one year qualifies you for Platinum.  You will receive the Plat designation for the following year, NOT the Gold Lifetime (which you would indeed have for 'life') because, in terms of on-property treatment, Platinum trumps Gold Lifetime.  Incidentally, we all agree that there needs to be more transparency in terms of the way lifetime status is calculated.  We're meeting tomorrow to agree on the verbiage.

nicoyano Platinum

I checked my account yesterday and had zero points rollover.  I emailed Marriott Rewards and got a response that made no sense.  I have received better information reading the posts here.   I did requalify for Platinum Premier as I had 75 2011 nights BUT I lost 100 points rolled over from 2010.  Looks like it was my fault for not realizing that points only rollover once.  Did it actually say that somewhere?  There seems to be validity in the argument for increasing stays at non-Marriott properties once elite status has been achieved for the year (whether by rollover or actual nights).  Such a shame to lose that many points.  Apparently...my bad! 

I think the original idea of roll over nights was to be able to maintain status (Silver, Gold, Plat) in a year where something has caused your normal travel to slip way down.

nicoyano,

Welcome to the site.  Actually points and stays are a little different.  There is nothing you can do about preventing rollover nights from expiring.  Your count of stays just accumulate to get you a status level, and your total stays towards lifetime levels. Glad you got your 75 nights to keep your Platinum Elite level.  Are you also Platinum Premier?  Those are the top 3% of Platinum Elites (I will never have to worry about being in that category   I have a hard enough time just trying to keep Platinum since I travel only for pleasure now days).  Again, welcome to the site and we hope we hear more from you about your travels and adventures too!

nicoyano Platinum 5 Reviews

You are right!  I got my verbiage on points versus stays a little screwed up in my original post.  Nevertheless, I think the point (sic) was made.

I am a Platinum Premier and have had that status for about two years.  Like you however that will probably change as my business stays have been steadily going down and it's just about time to file for social security. LOL.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...