10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2011 12:40 PM by elitepro RSS

Hawaii or South Pacific Hotel / Islnad reconmendations

cernertraveler Gold 6 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hello,

Were thinking about taking a trip in the spring to hawaii or the South pacific area and would like some reconmendations.  I'm looking for beauty, scenary, relaxation, and don't really care to be in or around a big city.  My wife and I are going for sure and we may take our two kids were still undecided on that.

1.  Does Marriott have any other properties in the South pacific?

2.  Out of the Hawian Islands where would be our best bet?  We're leaning towards Maui.

3.  What hotel's are the best in the area?  What types of experiences have others had?  I seem to be most interested in the JW and Maui Marriott (name?) at the moment.

Thanks for the pointers.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
HI, USA
  • Re: Hawaii or South Pacific Hotel / Islnad reconmendations
    traveler2 Platinum

The JW Ihilani is exactly what you have described. Relaxing and not near a big city. in fact probably 30 minutes from Honolulu.  However, it is soon to become a cruise ship destination so I really don't know if or how that will effect the serenity. Maui is wonderful but if you are looking for quiet stay away from Kaanapali area. The Wailea side would be much better and less congested. Kauai is lush and tropical, relaxing and the Marriott property in Poipu is lovely. Very relaxing. We have not been to the Big Island but are going in October so I can give you more details when we  get back. Have a great time!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

kauairesident Platinum 1 Reviews

Obviously a very parochial answer but you probably want Kauai.  Either resort property would meet your requirements but the resort in Lihue would be more centrally located for touring the lush beauty of the North Shore.  The newly acquired Courtyard in Kapaa would be even better, location wise.

The Big Island location is very nice too, sunset from “A” beach is always beautiful but remember that west (Kona) side is one big ‘volcano wasteland’.  Don’t care for either location on Maui, too much traffic and congestion and much like Honolulu (the 11th largest city with the most congested Highway (H1) in the US).

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Consider Guam.  The Marriott on Tumon Bay - right in the center - is slightly dated, but the rooms are comfortable and the balconies can be epic (particularly if you get a higher floor and/or an upgraded room).  The staff is VERY pleasant.  The pool is fine, but you can walk out of the hotel right onto the beach and enjoy some very pleasant snorkeling. Oh, and if you like to shop, the entire island is a duty free zone, and all of the high-end stores are there, and they're very popular with the Asian travel-to-shop community....

And, if it works, here are a couple of photos looking down on Tumon Bay in both directions from the balcony...

-- Edited by SSinDC at Sep 15, 2011 7:47 PM PDT

caspid Platinum

We stayed at the JW in Ko Olina and the Maui Marriott in February. JW was absolutely the best place ever-Beautiful!! Best customer service I have ever had! Maui Marriott in Wailea - not even close! Rooms small-no customer service to speak of! Had to walk to a different area to use the beach. JW had a beautiful lagoon and walking path. Would definitely recommend it.

Thanks for the info.  Please do update me when you get bck from the big island b/c there are som definitely cool features to the big island we're curious about like volcano national park, and the black sand beaches.

Thanks again for the info and I'm looking forward to hearing about your October trip.

One other thing.  Is there any issues w/ going the end of March the first week of April?

@ Caspid Thanks for info.  The Jw sounds great.  I hadn't even thought about staying on Oahu before.  How was the island?  We like to see natural beauty and I'm not real cool w/ tons of congestion.  Was the resort kid freindly?

Thanks

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

I would second the Kauai Marriott, but you can't go wrong with any Hawaii resorts.

traveler2 Platinum

Not a thing wrong with going March/April. We have done spring trips several times and it's always nice. Keep in mind that time of year is spring break and people come! The hotels can get busier and a bit more pricey. The JW is kid friendly. The pool area is smaller but that makes it easier to keep an eye on them. The pool at the vacation club is a bit more geared to kids but not sure if they will let you use it. If you are going with kids you can also look into the vacation club. It's in the same area and also a great property and great for families. That area has several man made bays. It is gentle, no crashing waves, great for kid swimming and snorkeling. It really is a lovely property. It sounds like downtown Honolulu is not what you are looking for if you want to avoid crowds. You can drive there very easily and would suggest you go visit. We love walking around downtown and in and out of all the gorgeous hotels. Waikiki is a great area to learn to surf, very gentle waves. The Arizona Memorial is not to be missed and my kids loved the walk through the submarine next door as well as the USS Missouri. Another don't miss!!  I don't think you could possibly be disappointed with that area should you decide to go to Oahu. I'll let you know how the Big Island turns out but I don't think that it will disappoint!! :-)  Enjoy!

Thanks again Traveler2.  I look forward to hearing about your trip. 

elitepro Member

Guam does not have much going for the un-exciting, except that the Marriott is on the beach. Honolulu is not like a big city because it is just like a big relaxing, resort with lush green vegetation and open air shopping. I enjoyed the The Kahalu Hotel in Honolulu and Turtle bay http://www.elitepro-travel.com/2010/09/united-continental-airlines-offer.html<</a>/p>

The Maui Marriott has 2 great beaches Wailea Beach and Ulua Beach along Maui's spectacular coastline The Wailea Resort has Shops at Wailea and three championship golf courses so it is nice to stay at if you want to stay in one place and not see the sights but I like the Marriott n Oahu, Hawaii's sunny western shore, the JW Marriott Ihilani Resort & Spa overlooks four white sand beaches and is located 30 minutes from Pearl Harbor, the Polynesian Cultural Center

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...