6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2012 6:33 PM by frankiesesso RSS

Marco Island Marriott - October Family Vacation

bullet105 Gold 7 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

As a Gold Elite member, would I be better off paying for a week in Marco Island with the Endless Summer promotion (includes Breakfast, $50 Resort credit daily and upgrade from Tropical View) OR paying with points (120K points for 5 nights, then pay cash for final night)?  Would the benefits of being Gold Elite be worth it to pay with points - since they have no Concierge Lounge, would breakfast be included, etc when paying with points?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Marco Island, Florida, USA
  • Re: Marco Island Marriott - October Family Vacation
    tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I don't think the points and status are going to help for free breakfast. This Marriott is a resort and the benefits for free breakfast do not apply at resorts. You could always call them and ask about the breakfast with points to get certain clarity to the issue. Maybe they will make an exception.

Good luck and enjoy the stay.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

I agree!

It's worth a call.  Anytime you can save your cash, you're off to a good start for your travels!

bigdogbill Platinum 7 Reviews

I have stayed at this resort frequently. There is no concierge lounge. Use your endless summer promotion. Breakfast for a family of four (+ tip) will run you $100.00/day.

bullet105 Gold 7 Reviews

Thanks for the feedback.  When I called the resort directly, they mentioned that the only comps that are offered to Gold Elite would be free internet access and room upgrades - breakfast would not be included with points reservations, only with the Endless Summer deal. 

Has anyone also had any luck with upgrades at this resort?  If you call ahead for the upgrade, then you have to pay the rack rate differential to lock in a room or suite.  Otherwise, assuming there's enough inventory, at check-in they should offer the most aggressive offer - but you risk the inventory being sold out by waiting until the last minute.

When I mentioned interest in a suite over the phone, was qouted $300 additional per day on top of currently booked tropical view room to lock in a suite.  She mentioned at check in they should be more aggressive, but not sure what that means (i.e. 25%, 50%, 75% off).  If it wasn't a suite, would an upgrade to an ocean view cost anything or would it be comped?  Any specific experience at this resort?

Also, it is a slow season now in Marco Island (hurricane season), so the deal they are offering is only $312/nt with taxes (and it includes $50 daily resort credit and breakfast for 4) - when using points to book this, each point is valued at $0.013.  Is it better to use points when the point value is higher than that?  Springtime rates at Marco run around $500-$600/nt or would value around $0.025 per point.  Just curious how others approach valuing and deciding whether to use their points.  What's a good deal?

bigdogbill Platinum 7 Reviews

Had the same dilemma this year with this resort (refer to my earlier frustrating posts on this same issue). At this resort if you want a suite you will have to pay extra for it, and the resort does not offer the use of points for a suite upgrade therefore you either pay for the upgrade or be put in the best available room (which does not include suites, kind of like going to an all you can eat buffet and the restaurant telling you that if you want steak you have to pay extra).

Because we were going to both Key West & Marco Island, I decided to use the points for the Key West stay. All the rooms there are suites with full size kitchens. This worked out well for us. Points at Key West & full price at Marco Island.

I have a large family (tall and athletic) so the standard room with two queen size beds at the Marco Island Marriott is small but the beach and facilities are incredible so we still had a great time and I am sure you will as well. Just spend as much time with those sunsets, beach, and great pools and little time in your room and this will be a great vacation.

frankiesesso Platinum 5 Reviews

WIth 63 suites its pretty obnoxious to insist on charging for a suite or a gulf view room

beautiful property amenities and service but the operators really nickel and dime and the spiel/sales pitch you get when you ask for an upgrade is insulting and a turn-off.  If you can handle it, it's a great place. Just don't expect much as a elite member. Assume you ate just at a non-Marriott hotel

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...