7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2015 1:06 AM by timandjulz RSS

Android app needs some work

timandjulz Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I installed the Android app on my Atrix Android device.  At first I thought it was great... but then I tried to use it.  :-)

There are some key aspects that are missing or don't work as expected.

First off, I want to refer to my hotel reservation for the phone number or address.  The "keep me signed in" check box doesn't.  Or at least it logs me out after some time period.  This really ticks me off because I am driving, trying to type in my Marriott login and password.  (Excuse me officer?  No, I wasn't typing on my phone when I crashed.)  Can you give us a check box for "I really mean keep me signed in until I sign out"?

Next, the reason I want to use the app is to get directions yet for the life of me I can't find a way!  All the information is there, why don't you link to the phone's map instead of using that blasted and pointless Bing map?  If you used the phone map I could choose to route to the hotel.

Can't copy the address.  Actually, you can't copy ANYTHING.  I need this so I can email the address, phone number or other information to my wife or colleagues.

Other than this the app is great.  I can get all the information I need.  But the above problems need to be fixed.

Thanks!

Tim

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Android app needs some work
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I haven't tried using the App on my Android yet, but the same thing (in terms of signing you out) happens when I'm using the Marriott site and doing other things on my computer.  I have to regularly sign in again.

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

The "session timed out" feature on Marriott,com, while laudatory, seems to be overly cumbersome on one's own personal computer.

A question from a non-smart phone owner (me):  How secure is a cell phone when transmitting data?  Used to be that anyone with a scanner could pick up voice transmissions, but are data transmissions secure?

timandjulz Platinum

@SteppingStones, The article you referenced is about a program that can be installed on a smart phone.  In that sense the phone is no more or less secure than your computer.  If someone can get access and install software on it then all bets are off.

One thing to add...  My phone is secured by a code or other method.  (The Atrix actually has a fingerprint scanner.)

@ProfChiara, agreed.  I wish there was a setting that says "Login and trust this computer" so you don't have to login so often.  However, when I am at my computer it is much less cumbersome to enter my password than from a cell phone.

My biggest problem with the website is the inability to search for a hotel by address (i.e. Show me the Marriott brand hotel nearest 123 XYZ Street).  I end up having to use Egencia (Expedia brand) to find the hotels because they have this feature.  That means Marriott customers are more likely to book off the Egencia site.  I have never understood this simple feature missing from the Marriott site.  I also note the same limitations exist on the Android app.  :-(

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Thanks for providing the feedback. I'll route these points to our eCommerce team.

- Regards, Andy

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

I can't even see the "keep me logged in" box.

But I did see some other things. When you see the map, tap it. Takes you to a bigger map and there is a "Directions" button on the bottom. You have to have Locations turned on in your phone.

Copy in the app is the same for me as all other apps, it's a function of the phone. Use your phone's copy function.

timandjulz Platinum

Yeah, this post was from 2011.  Some improvements have been made.  There is still no "keep me logged in" checkbox in settings.  That would be nice to have.