17 Replies Latest reply: Dec 19, 2014 9:57 PM by keglerbill RSS

Budapest Marriott

redwood Platinum 5 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Didn't have long enough there unfortunatly but a nice hotel, all rooms with a view of the Danube and what must be one of the best located concierge lounges in terms of its view over the city and river.  Nice breakfast and upgraded room as a Plat Prem.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Budapest, Hungary
Budapest, Hungary Marriott Hotels & Resorts Budapest Marriott Hotel
Budapest, Hungary Marriott Executive Apartments Millennium Court, Budapest - Marriott Executive Apartments
  • Re: Budapest Marriott
    pevers Platinum 2 Reviews

We recently stayed at the Marriott Executive Apartments at the Millennium Center but were granted access to the lounge at the Budapest Marriott. We appreciated that both the Millennium Center Marriott and the Budapest Marriott extended this perk.

I fully agree with your assessment on the lounge. It has a great view of Pest and the Danube. Sitting outside, however, is better in the evenings than during the day.  The pigeons are very aggressive

I would not hesitate to recommend either hotel. I give them high marks for hospitality and for understanding the meaning of customer service.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
    Budapest, Hungary Marriott Executive Apartments Millennium Court, Budapest - Marriott Executive Apartments
      Good_Guest Member 2 Reviews

Hi all, I just stayed in 3 differents Marriott Hotels this week-end. (Courtyard by Marriott, Marriott appartment and Marriott Hotel). I confirm that the best one is the Marriott Hotel near the Danube. The staff is very focused on guests and the hotel has a lot of perks (vast fitness center, waterfront etc...). The Courtyard is a very good hotel too. Only 10 minutes walking distance. Very comfortable, good restaurant and nice staff.

The Marriott appartment is interesting for people travelling with friends. The appartments are very vast and well equiped. There is a kitchen in the appartments and a little fitness center.

Have a nice stay in Budapest. The city is beautifull. Even if it is not my favourite...

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Agreed regarding the concierge lounge at the Budapest Marriott.  Maybe my favorite concierge lounge anywhere, due to the extraordinary roof deck (it's not just the size and the seating options, but the views - in all three directions - are superb), wonderful (and entertaining) coffee and tea service (huge selection of loose teas and personal tea pots), generous and diverse food and snack selection, diversity and comfort of seating (inside and outside, dramatically different window views, nooks and corners for private meetings/conversations), pleasant staff, etc.

And REDWOOD is right - the Danube views from the hotel windows are captivating!

michael77 Platinum 42 Reviews

I have stayed there a number of times. I agree its a great Hotel. The Concierge  Lounge is awesome. The Restaurant is one of the finest in the are. Great location to Tour Budapest.

I especially like how easy it it to walk to the subway and take yourself to the Széchenyi hotspings. If you stay there, take the time to go enjoy the natural hotspings.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Michael,

Never been there, but this may be a place to add to our "Hall of Fame", properties!  Great report!

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Love that hotel!

Have stayed several times, both while traveling in Hungary, and as a base to operate out of when traveling to Ukraine and Romania.

Beautiful location, old world charm.

Adore after dinner drinks in the lobby bar which is much more an old world salon.

Beautiful views from the room and balcony of the Danube.

Fantastic concierge lounge. One of the best, right up there with the lounges in the Moscow Marriotts!

slysy56 Platinum 17 Reviews

I am visiting Budapest in May 2012.  Besides the hot springs, what should I add to the agenda?   This is a first time visit and we have our own car.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

I'm no expert, and I realize I just scratched the surface.... But, at a minimum, I'd also recommend at least a short Danube river cruise (or a longer, maybe dinner cruise if you're with someone) after dark - the river and the city and the bridges are beautiful when lit.... And it seems many of agree, the Marriott's Concierge Lounge is one of the best anywhere - stunning roof deck, comfortable seating (in multiple configurations), a welcoming and helpful staff, plentiful and interesting food, and one of the best coffee and tea services you'll find anywhere.  Enjoy!

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

One of my favorite things in Budapest are the Turkish baths introduced by the Turks when they ruled Hungary, but a tradition adopted by the Hungarians and maintained after the Turks left, and still enjoyed to this day.  The best bath houses are in large, historic hotels like the Gellert. Another favorite is the Opera House which is really very reasonably priced compared to NYC or Vienna. And in the summer there is opera under the stars on Margarite Island. And of course no trip is complete without Hungarian food and wine.  Below are some of my favorite restaurants my Hungarian mother introduced me to.  They are also historic so count toward sightseeing as well.

1) Kiraly Palace is in a beautiful location, has wonderful food and wine including Tokai, and gypsy music.  They even invited us to a gypsy weeding

Kiraly Hungarian Restaurant Budapest  with folklore  show

2) Gundel's is a very historic hotel, that the famous Hungarian-American, George Lang restored to its original glory.  George Lang, now dead, also had a very famous restaurant in New York and has authored a Hungarian cook book.  My Hungarian mother swears by this place.  Every trip is an event, as she has talk to every person she encounters on the way to her table, and you would swear they were all long lost relatives.  It is next to the zoo, if you have the time.  For dinner we do the formal dining room, and for lunch we eat out on the terrace.

http://www.chew.hu/george_lang_savior_of_gundel_g/

http://www.the-budapest-guide.com/family-program/budapest_zoo_hungary_budapest_guide

3) Karpatia Restaurant, which is walking distance to the Marriott hotel, has Hungarian and Transylvania dishes.  One of our favorites is Kapusta, which is the Hungarian version of stuffed cabbage but made in the transylvanian style which is a white sauce made with sour cream instead of the tomatoe sauce, and uses hungarian sausages, smoked ribs and hungarian bacon.  Its really wonderful. Also not to be missed is the foie gras which can be enjoyed in Hungary much more reasonably than in France.

http://www.karpatia.hu/en

4)  Cafe Gerbeaud.  Not trip is complete without a stop here for dessert. Try the Hungarian tortes with coffee or dessert wine. There is also a pub on site to try wonderful Hungarian wines and beers

http://www.gerbeaud.hu/confectionary

http://www.gerbeaud.hu/drink-menu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caf%C3%A9_Gerbeaud

Location Brand Hotel
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I have been a lot of places in the world, but have never been to Budapest. It is now on my "bucket list" and I will definately stay at the Budapest Marriott..Thanks for sharing this!!!

tinkerbell Platinum 10 Reviews

Wonderful hotel. I was there last March with my daughter and two grandchildren, 6 months and 4 years! Everyone was very nice, conceirge room was wonderful and the views spectacular. Walking distance to everything even when it was in the 30's.........brrrr. Dessert buffet in the lobby was fun,too!

• Budapest Marriott
    michael77 Platinum 10 Reviews

I have stayed there a bunch of times. An awesome hotel. Its is a walk to everything, On Public TV, there is a travel show. Rick Steve's Europe, He did a great job on budapest and what there is to see. The restaurant at the Budapest is expensive but awesome. The dinner is awesome and the breakfast great. The boat tour is a great idea.  The Hot Srings are a must do. Széchenyi Bath is the one I liked best.

It is a short subway ride from the hotel.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Sounds wonderful!

eorii Platinum

I agree with all comments regarding the hotel and especially the Concierge Lounge and staff....really wonderful. There are several other very good restaurants within walking distance of the hotel....some would say "touristy" but I'd say "part of the experience". The "walk platz" , only a couple of blocks away, is a great people-watching and coffee-sipping place for a late morning or early afternoon break. The castle on the opposite side of the river is a "must see", if for no other reason than to get a sense of the history of the city, the people, and nation....Budapest has risen from the ashes more times than the Dodgers. If you walk for about a mile or so down the walk-platz (you'll go under a pedestrian underpass) you'll come to a very intriguing area of more shops and, finally, a shopping/market arcade in what appears to be an old warehouse or possibly a train/bus station. Multiple levels of shops selling everything from clothes to paprika to raw meat and fresh cheeses.....eat/drink at one of the food stalls on an upper level and you'll be a happy tourista! If you are departing Budapest on one of the Danube cruise lines (we were booked on Viking cruise going to Nuremburg), you're going to be very happy when you see how close this hotel is to your boarding point. We walked.

dbmbonthego Platinum 4 Reviews

The Budapest Marriott is a great property with a great view of the Danube River.  When in Budapest, do not miss having a desert and coffee at the Gerbeaud Coffee House on the Vaci Utca (walking street) near the hotel.  Also eating an evening meal at Cafe Bouchon is a must (near the opera) and have a stop at The Cake and Coffee near the Basillica.  Budapest is a great city . . . can't wait to go back!

gregwtravels Gold

I stayed at this hotel for the Formula One Grand Prix in 2012.

Had a really good time.

The front desk staff was very good, and were nice enough to point out key sites on the map of things to see, and took the time to list how to get to the F1 for the next day without the usual "I can call a taxi for you." I appreciated that she took the time to provide me with some information and options more than just the perfunctory.

I had a Sixth floor room. I had a Danube view room. There are Danube view, or Danube and Parliament view. Nice view of the river and the Elizabeth bridge near by.  Room was good size, with king bed, arm chair with Ottoman and side table and a desk. Lots of storage. Excellent size safe - easy to fit in the laptop. Heck, you probably could have put in a desktop computer in there.

I had drinks a couple of nights at the lobby bar. Very nice location.    Saturday night sat outside, just steps from the river and the tram service. Great views across to the Buda Castle. I had Martinis. Came to about 8 pounds each, which isn't bad for a hotel bar, I think. They had a TV out on the patio so we could all watch the Olympics.  Sunday night sat inside (due to a thunderstorm). Comfortable arm chairs.  The service was friendly, but very slow.

For those who know F1, I saw Formula One rights owner Bernie Eccelstone and Red Bull Racing boss Christian Horner coming out of Aqua, and getting into the back of a black, tinted windowed Mercedes. They pulled closed the door, and the car roared off into the rainy Budapest night with a low throaty growl. So obviously not just a hotel bar, but also a place to be!

keglerbill Platinum 1 Reviews

Just got back from five nights at the Budapest Marriott after completing a Viking cruise from Nuremburg. Agree with everyone about the awesome Concierge Lounge and the views.

We had a private guide for two days in Budapest and I took him to the lounge just for the view. He was blown away! He had never seen his city from that perspective.

He related to me that in Budapest there is a joke that goes: If you want a nice hotel room, in a good location, with a great view -- but don't want to have to look at the Marriott -- then, stay at the Marriott! It is one of the ugliest buildings in Budapest by far. Looks like the Communists designed it. But -- while unattractive on the outside, it is great inside. Super staff -- great rooms -- great concierge lounge. and the view is unbeatable. We were given a corner room that was terrific.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...