22 Replies Latest reply: Oct 8, 2011 8:27 PM by astone14 RSS

Conc. Lounge

rickmad Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Wife and I travel and stay at Marriott family.  Both charge on MR Visa.  Recently cashed out 400k points for stay in London for wife and daughter.  They were denied PLT benefits.  We both travel to earn them, use our cards.  Any suggestions?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom
  • Re: Conc. Lounge
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I think this falls under the terms and conditions where only the Platinum member can get the Platinum benefits. If the reservation was made in your name with your points, as you say, sometimes the front desk will treat the guest (if not you) as if you were there.  In many cases, however, the card holder must be there to get the benefits.

You might want to clarify this with the Platinum help desk.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

rickmad Platinum 8 Reviews

Thanks.  they actually had me change the res. to her name.  According to PLT desk, policy can vary by hotel, country.  What does it cost for a continental breakfast and afternoon snacks for 2 people?  With the changes on week-ends, makes me wonder whats next!

Dear Rickmad

I agree that it's petty and that since some hotels allow it, others should as well.

Better luck at another property in the future!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

RickMad

sorry to hear of your experience.  For what it's worth, my wife and daughters have used points of mine on TOO MANY occasions and have always been treated as a Platinum guest.  Maybe it's the oversea hotels....

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Oh Shoeman,

Not a hint of xenophobia, surely

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

A trick I've learned for those few times my wife will travel without me:

I still put the reservation in my name but at check-in, my wife will tell the desk that I am arriving later and would like two keys. It's impossible for the front desk to refute nor have they ever tried.

On an aside, I'm not sure why I am offering this trick - it's really a close call to a "dilution/watering down" scenario and everyone knows my postion on this.

Tricky Pingreeman!

I do exactly the same thing!

Do you also cross against the light?

only on even dated Thursdays in months that do not haver an R in them

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Yes - I am tricky. However, the more I think of it, this would be a nice benefit to top tiered elite members - the ability to not have to use tricks to have family members use our points. Perhaps there could be an "associate member" card(s) for family members.

rickmad Platinum 1 Reviews

gets worse.  called and spoke with plat desk as I returned from 3 days on the road.  all at marriott hotels!

spoke to a really nice lady at PLT reservations, complained about the canned answer i received.

I also asked as my wifes reservation has her name, and the room category shows executive lounge access.  She agreed that something at the hotel is wrong, and the local PLT folks would look into it and call me back.

That was Thursday, today is Sunday, no calls or e mails! Maybe they just don't care!

mi97tbird Platinum 33 Reviews

i have had the same issue with my wife. i think they should honor the level

engineergirl Platinum 1 Reviews

So I guess I'll swim upstream on this one and say that it seems we can't be complaining about unauthorized access to the lounge and then expect Marriott to grant it for us.

It's not clear if you and your wife have each earned platinum status.  If that's the case, Marriott is clearly wrong.  And, if the points stay is for a room on the concierge floor, with the associated premium, then yes, access should be granted.  But to expect those staying on our points to get access simply because WE earned the status seems to be contrary to what is often discussed--and complained about--on this forum.

That being said, in my house the potential added perks just makes the hubby want to be sure I'm invited on points stays .

velcro Platinum

My wife and I are new to this forum, though Elite status for several years.

In regards to DILUTION AND DEMINISHED ELITE PERX, ie EXECUTIVE LOUNGE ACCESS, we are EXTREMELY upset with one of Marriott's new money making programs that allows customers whonare not Elite Status members to BUY UPGRADES allowing them access to the Executive Lounge! We encounter this both in Europe at several locations and in the US! What happens is that the tranquility and quite and ambiance of a place to ENJOY oneself for either breakfast or a cocktail has been LOST!

The situation was so bad that in one Paris location that the "MAC DONALD'S" atmosphere and the reluctance of the hotel to in force THEIR rules caused us to vacate the hotel and change locations. (A young woman entered the lounge with friends in her bathrobe, flip flops and nothing else to eat breakfast and the on duty MANAGER did nothing until we asked her to do so!) young kids were yelling and handling food with their hands and then ...

We expect to go to a Marriott to rest and find peace on our trips!

Elite members utilizing these wonderful benefits should also be aware of their actions.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Velcro:

Unfortunately, your experience is not new to the Concierge Lounge. There have been many postings regarding situations similar to yours in many locations. If you do a Concierge Lounge search, there will be a lot of posts that describe conditions that are the same as you encountered. No control, no management and no rules. Terrible! Many Insiders agree with your feeling and would like to see something done.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

cough, cough.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

With so many complaints, when will Marriott correct the issued in the Concierge Lounges?

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Let's see, if the company hires decorum police, that may work. Of course, the bylaws would have to be very specific. A bath robe and flip flops, no..A jacket but no tie, maybe...tux and tails, come on in. OR maybe anyone can use it for what they want if they qualify and if you don't like the atmosphere, head back to your room?

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I guess it's OK to have kids handling food and throwing it away after one bite and just plain being RUDE while there. Being in the San Fran Marquis I noticed someone enter the lounge with their kids, their kids handled all the food, took one bite, threw it down, ran around the lounge asking the attendant on duty (who was only a food server) where the drinks were, opened the door to the fridge, took out drinks and left it wide open. Another gentleman asked the parents if they were supposed to be there (since most people who go understand there is a certain amount of decorum that exists) and they said no. He asked the attendant to ask them to leave, they did, and all the food was replaced because others there told the attendant of the manner in which the kids played all through the food. But, I guess it's OK for someone to enter the lounge as has happened many, many, many times by waiting outside the door until someone opens it. Or, I guess it's OK to walk in without having BOUGHT or EARNED the right to be there AS HAS HAPPENED ON COUNTLESS NUMBERS OF OCCASIONS.

There are issues that need to be dealt with. They've been mentioned in countless numbers of posts. I'll stop there.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

While I was at the Seattle waterfront hotel, cruise people would buy longe access and be in there in party mode.  Loud and kids too.  Kids would come in just when cookies are put out and grab the whole plate and take them out of the lounge.  It was hard to get food before the kids grabed the best.  Not relaxing as it should be.

astone14 Platinum 37 Reviews

I work construction and have been Platinum the last 3 years.  I wear blue jeans and t shirts to work because to dirty up dress clothes would just be foolish, so I would be against a dress policy because frankly i just want to eat some snacks and drink a diet coke by 5:30.  I do not like the idea of people buying lounge access but I can understand Marriott trying to earn any revenue that they can, but they do need to police some of the lounges better; although the ones in the SE USA have not had many screaming kids in them.  Indeed, some of the "business" types are the worst offenders I have found; I personally really dont care about your IT work, I just want to eat this quesadilla in silence.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...