11 Replies Latest reply: Aug 30, 2011 1:24 PM by arkwright RSS

Reservations In General

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi Insiders - As I recall, this may have been discussed before, but it seems as if it is something that should be addressed again.

I often make reservations for multi-day stays that begin during the week and end on a week-end day. As I qualifiy for multiply special rates, I always check one special rate first, then the other to see which is lower.

All well and good so far. Here's the problem. I've learned from sad experience that sometimes I have to check by breaking my stay down by different day options as sometimes the special rate is offered on the week days but not the weekend, and sometimes it's the other way around.

Not only does it take a lot of time, but I end up with multiple reservations for the same stay and a concern that the more complicated things are, the greater chance that my points/elite nights credits will somehow get screwed up. Yes, Marriott reservations will combine them all into one reservations number, but that's not the point. It seems as if Marriott should be able to designate the different rates with notations such as "Rate changes to ____ on _____" allowing you to make the reservation with one click, so to speak. (To make matters worse, sometimes that happens, but usually not.)

Has anyone else had this issue? How have you addressed it? What do you think would be the best way to address it with Marriott? (And perhaps the ultimate question, is it something worth addressing, or am I just nit-picking while recovering from the hurricane?)

nhtraveler

• Re: Reservations In General
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Dear NH, yes you've touched a nerve here and one of my pet peeves.  I was staying at the same hotel every week and had to ensure that the rate for Sunday night (considered a weekend) was lower than the rate for the remainder of the stay.  In speaking with the GM we negotiated a rate for several months, saving me money.

As you know Marriott prides itself on "a best rate guarantee" when booking online, but seems unable to break down the rates per night and discounts that may be available.  It is not my intent to pay top rate when lower rates are available.

I think the current Ambassadors might be able to broach this subject with the folks at Marriott and see if there is a programming  fix that might be applied to solve this issue.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Who are the current ambassadors????

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

profChiara  and versel

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Dear Shoeman,

I may have grasped the wrong end of the stick (it wouldn't be for the first time!!), but I wonder whether this is an example of lack of consistency, rather than an omission per se.

I say this because there are hotels that I use which provide exactly the information you are requesting. See below, for example, which is taken from the Amsterdam Marriott site:

"Guest room, 1 King or 1 Queen or 2 Double Room details

The rate for this room changes on 12/26/11 to 159.00 (EUR) per night"

Apologies if I have succeeded in only further confusing the issue.

Thanks

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi Jasper,

Me and Versel.

ProfChiara

(Both of us have contacted Marriott on a number of occasions about issues brought up in posts.)

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi Arkwright,

Since my experience and yours are exactly the same (I get the 'rate changes on such and such a date'), I suspect European hotels are doing it but many American hotels are not.

ProfChiara

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

This is common  on all Marriott sites, but the first screen shows only the rate for the first night only and has the disclaimer that rates "from" are posted.

You'll need to expand the hyperlink and see what the totals are for an entire stay, where you will see "this room rate changes to..." there.  It's not the first thing you encounter-which is unfortunate.

Why can't Marriott put the entire charge there for every time period, incorporating the changes in room rates? If Google knows where I am at all times and what I've been eating for breakfast, can't Marriott also then cost out a multi-night stay?

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I have also seen a reservation with the notation that the rate changes to $$yyy on such and such a date, but the rate change notation is, as I recall, only a rate change that increases over the initial rate disclosed. I don't recall seeing a rate change that has decreased during the stay.

I always check and recheck bookings I have made to see if there is a better rate that has become available since my original booking. If there is a better rate, I book it and cancel the reservation I have previously made. Marriott is not going to reduce a rate that has been booked. As far as their program is concerned, the best rate available AT THAT TIME was given.

I also test reservations for weekdays vs. weekends and break them if the rates are different.

A perfect example of that was my stay in April at the San Fran Marquis. I believe my initial rate was for $249/night. My next reservation, cancelling my previous reservation, was for $179, then down to $149 and finally to $129, my final rate made the night before I arrived. Enough said. 

I know, I have too much time on my hands.....

TEF,

I doubt whether it is a matter of great importance, but I think that the example I included in my earlier post did in fact advertise a reduction in the room rate - albeit over the period from 23rd to 28th December which might be exeptional

Thank you

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi Arkwright - Yes, that happens sometimes with my reservations, but, and this is the problem, not always. It seems as though on some reservations, and especially so if the first night is unavailable for the special rates,that none of the nights show up as being available, even if they are available at, for example, the AAA or govt. rate.

I've become an expert at checking the rates - I just can't help feeling that there must be a better way.

Many thanks to all who are responding.

nhtraveler

NH,

I had no idea life could be so complicated.

Best of luck

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...