Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

12 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2011 5:22 AM by arkwright RSS

Insiders Trivia - Platinum Members' Posting Habits

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

body>

As of Sunday 08/21, there were 6229 Platinum MRI members; today, there are 6233, a gain of 4. Of the 6229 on Sunday:

• 13 had post icon of 150 or 0.21% pf Platinum MRI members
  • 4 had post icon of 100 or 0.06%
  • 14 had post icon of 50 or 0.22%
  • 23 had post icon of 25 or 0.37%
  • 54 total with post icons of any type or 0.87%
  • 56 including ambassadors (no post icon) or 0.90%

Conclusions (if any)?

1. I have too much time on my hands.
  2. The most loyal members' voice (Platinum & PP) is being represented mostly by less than one percent of all MRI members with this status
  3. Participation in the MRI by the vast majority is a "one and done"
  4. MRI must assure that the next release is MUCH more inviting and easier to navigate, find information, etc. lest the next iteration has such low levels of participation

Comments anyone?

https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/6793

USA Today reports that spending by U.S. hotels on improvements will increase 30% to $3.5 billion this year.

Other noteworthy facts from this article:

• The estimated $5.5 billion spent on improvements in 2008 was an industry record.
  • Capital investment swooned quickly when the recession kept travelers at home. Capital spending on improvements fell 40% in 2009 and an additional 18% last year (2010).
  • Profit margins remain at 18-year lows on a per-room basis and occupancy is expected to remain at or below 60%.

See complete report at: Hotels Sprucing Up . . .

https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/11434

Given the current search capabilities (or should I say, lack thereof), to merge A/A with the forums would just make finding an interesting post all the harder.

Part of the A/A problem IMO is that many questions have been ASKED and ANSWERED - and the ability to try to find a previously answered question is horrendous. There is no boolean capabilities in the search nor can a person use quotes for exact phrases. Case in point: I just searched A/A for =="how many points" free== and found this question asked/answered five times since June 22, 2010.

• Re: Insiders Trivia - Platinum Members' Posting Habits
    markzz2 Platinum 1 Reviews

Compared to others forums I find Insiders rteally user unfriendly and difficult to navigate.

I look at Flyertalk forums about Marriott and find them very easy to use.

Insiders Planners take note

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Dear Pingreeman,

Whether or not you have too much time on your hands is not for me to judge, but I would like to thank you for this piece of analysis. I found it interesting, and would hope that the Insider team will to.

One thought that occurs to me concerns the relationship between frequency of post and content of post. Over the past six months or so, it would seem that a substantial number of posts addressed a small number of topics - which, perhaps unsurprisingly, were submitted by a similarly small number of contributors. The two themes were (a) perceived unfair treatment of the higher levels of MR Elite membership and, to a lesser extent, (b) weaknesses in the design and architecture of the present site. It seems to me that, for thesite to develop a spread of interests more consistent with those of a true travel community, either the currently active group of contributors will have to broaden their range of interests, or that a new group of contributors will need to be attracted to the site.

I make this slightly tortuous point because, although it is possible that either or both changes could come about solely as a result of the unveiling of the alpha site, it is far from clear that this will necessarily be the case.

I wonder therefore what other measures the Insider Team might have in mind to attract new members and/or to encourage existing participants to explore a wider range of themes.

Again, my thanks for your analysis

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi Pingreeman - I'm not sure that you have too much time on your hands, but in any case, this is an interesting breakdown. I agree that the Rewards site could be made more user-friendly and I, as you, hope that will be forthcoming.

Anyway, thank you for the statistical breakdown. (Now we know what you do in your spare time!)

nhtraveler

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

great breakdown!  If we assume there are millions of Platinum members (and that's just a guess) then we have a very small percentage working diligently to post on Insiders!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

6233 Insiders...am I the only one trying to use an iPad on the site?

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Husker

must be so.  why else would they just ignore your problems.....

I reckon there's 6232 Insiders with bigger problems.

Dear Pingreeman,

I too found your analysis interesting. Thank you. Whether or not it indicates that you have too much spara time on your hands is not for me to judge. However, the piece was, I thought , not only interesting but also carried some potentially important implications for the MR Insiders team.

I endeavoured to send a longer message along these lines, but technical considerations seem to have delayed its despatch.

Thanks again

If, as STeppingStones guesses, there are millions of Platinum members and only just over 6,000 of them on MRI, it's no wonder there is the perception that Marriott isn't really listening.

imagrits Platinum 1 Reviews

Actually, I think the reason many Plats are one and done is twofold:

1) many questions on this site are one response queries, so once they are answered, there really isn't much for anyone else to add..

AND

2) a high percentage are trying to use the iPad, which is almost impossible to do, and therefore they become incredibly frustrated and move on.  ;-)

husked, I feel your pain, and hopefully one of the "fixes" headed our way.

-- Shoukd be MUHUSKER but since I am on an ipad I can't coorect it! by IMAGRITS at Aug 25, 2011 3:55 PM PDT

Thank you grits.  It's actually NUHUSKER.  Butthanks for the empathy.

Pingreeman,

Below is part of the reply I tried to make the other day. Again, thanks for your analysis.

"One thought that occurs to me concerns the relationship between frequency of post and content of post. Over the past six months or so, it would seem that a substantial number of posts addressed a small number of topics - which, perhaps unsurprisingly, were submitted by a similarly small number of contributors. The two themes were (a) perceived unfair treatment of the higher levels of MR Elite membership and, to a lesser extent, (b) weaknesses in the design and architecture of the present site. Basic logic suggests that, for the site to develop a spread of interests more representative of a broadly focused travel community, either the currently active group of contributors will have to widen the range of interests they choose to express, or that a new group of contributors will need to be attracted to the site.

I include this slightly tortuous argument because it seems to me that, although it is possible that either or both changes could come about solely as a result of the unveiling of the alpha site, it is far from clear that this will necessarily be the case.

I wonder therefore what additional measures the Insider Team might have in mind to attract new members and/or to encourage existing participants to explore a wider range of themes."

Thank you

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...