12 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2013 1:49 PM by lengeiger RSS

48-H Guaranteed Reservation

sethsothell Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am trying to make reservations through the Marriott website for a hotel that is obviously completely booked. Is the 48-H reservation guarantee not honored on Marriott's website? I'd be curious to hear other members' experiences with the guarantee.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: 48-H Guaranteed Reservation
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I have found that some places and hotels do not honor the guarantee--and maybe in the fine print there's an escape clause to allow for this. I can't be sure.

But as far as I am concerned it's not iron-clad as guarantees go. I would then try to call the hotel directly and see if you can get a room--most likey it will not be cheap.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

steppingstones

Would you be able to provide the properties where this has happened to you, as well as the circumstances>

Would love to add property tags to threads so that other MI can be forewarned where they might have problems.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Gem, I don't think steppingstones is an active participant anymore.  He was a wealth of information and we all miss him.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Thanx RB,

Maybe steppingstones will see the message and reply.

I tried to do the @ sign in front of the name, but only messages appear as choices, not the username.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Steppingstones, Pingreeman, and some of our other famous previously active members, view the site from afar, once in a while, but choose to not have their accounts active any more (might be that their postings are like dead artists - worth even more when they have left us!).  Most of these postings are from those previous times.

sethsothell Platinum

Interesting, thank you very much for these insights into the 48h-Guarantee. I've never tried using it before since I was rather flexible with the exact hotel location, but now I'll be staying at a location that only has two Marriotts and they're both fully booked. The worst part is: It's my own fault. I apparently forgot to hit the "Confirm Reservation" button when I booked a room in one of those hotels last week, on a $119 rate... and now I'm left without a room :(. Well, I'll try to call the platinum line and maybe the hotel itself, but I guess you're right and they'll charge a lot for that room if they DO honor the 48h Guarantee, so I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and stay at a different hotel... got to take it as a welcome change to the known Marriott drill.

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi Everyone - Yes, if you do get a room under the 48-hour guarantee when the property is fully booked, it will be at the "rack rate" - no AAA or other discount. I've learned that when I realize that I made reservations for a day later than I was actually arriving and had to get a room for that first missing night. It's real sticker shock, but I've usually gotten the room. The "rack rate" is understandable as the hotel will actually turn someone out and "walk" them to another hotel in order to accomodate us. (At least that's what the Platinum reservations number told me.)

nhtraveler

willshire Platinum 1 Reviews

How do you know if you reserved a room under the 48-hour reservation guarantee? I normally use a corporate rate which they add upon check-in.  At my last stay, the Courtyard is telling me that because of the 48-hour guarantee, my corporate rate would not be honored. I don't know if that is true because I've stayed with them many times before that when they have been sold out. I booked online and when I checked my e-mail confirmation, there is no mention of the 48-hour guarantee being invoked or any restrictions.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

will,

I don't think the marriott.com website will let you book a room if the hotel is full. So, I'd probably talk to the GM.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

PINGREENMAN has it right, no guarantees.

I book college game weekends as soon as the 350 day reservation window opens. For this year I reserved last November for an average of $140 night at a nearby Springhill. The rate as of today is $400 and will be sold out by the time the date arrives.

Planning ahead has its rewards.

lengeiger Platinum

I was recently attempting to stay 3 nights at the BWI Marriott this week only to learn online that the 3rd night was unavailable.  Since I was aware of the 48 hr guarantee and had made use of it in the past, I investigated a bit deeper.  The actual fine print does state that "48-Hour Guaranteed Availability may not be available on certain limited dates (e.g., special events)."

Just today I was booking another room at the RTP Marriott and was unable to get a corporate (or AAA or any other) special rate.  When I called the hotel reservations direct I was informed that the room I reserved was a 48 hr guarantee reservation (it's not indicated online) and that they couldn't over ride the rate.  They did nicely suggest I try again at check-in.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...