19 Replies Latest reply: Sep 11, 2011 2:21 PM by lifesablast RSS

Beyond Platinum

nextreserv Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am a long term resident of Marriott Hotel, need a category above Platignum. Is there any thing above Platignum or shall I switch to Hilton to get better hotel coverage for rewards stays?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Beyond Platinum
    redwood Platinum 5 Reviews

yes - there is platinum premier but its not a lot different!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

There is Lifetime Platinum Member status also that you may want to consider achieving!!!

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Platinum Premier and Lifetime are smaller, lateral segments of Platinum, and thus there are but three levels of elite status. Lifetime of course does not require renewal by staying 75 nights every year.  Platinum Premier does not appear to make much difference to the average Marriott Associate when you check in, though there is a spearate way to reach them via phone.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

And then there is the often wished for Plutonimum level, not yet supported by MR.

I got my Plutonium card but it melted my desk when I took it out of the lead casing in which it came!

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I got my Plutonium card and with it comes with  a special phone line and a free cup of coffee..but you have to pay for the sugar!!!

versel Alumni Steward Platinum

With rollover nights counting towards elite status, they really should add a new level. I wonder what percentage of members were Platinum before the new year even started?

Versel, this is the third rail of Insiders.  Plutonium and other double secret levels (Animal House reference--remember Double Secret Probation?) have been discussed, biut there seems to be no or little interest on the part of Marriott Rewards to adjust the levels.

As you know other chains, such as Hyatt, consider Platinum to be their intermediate level, Diamond being the highest.

With the prices of precious metals spiking across the globe we need a new impromed level.  I vote for Platinium 2.0 myslef, one that comes with a latte!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Just a reminder for all you uber stayers.......all those rollover nights beyond Platinum level this year aren't going to help anyone next year due to the 'change' in the rollover program Marriott put in place.

If someone had, let's say 30 rollover nights applied in 2011 (from 2010 stays) they get no rollover nights credited towards 2012 stays until they achieve 1 rollover night more than they did in the previous year.....or, in other words, until they reach 31 nights. This is because all rollover nights credited in 2011 are being re-couped in 2012 before any further rollover nights get credited.

Remember we had the big hullabaloo in the beginning of the year when rollover nights were being credited improperly (or so many thought) because Marriott never announced they were recouping rollover nights credited from the previous year.....and the Andy who left had to step in because the postings got so heated?

Andrew was the one--gone but not forgotten!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

wow

now I am confused totally as to how rollover nights will be given out this year.  Can someone (preferrably a Marriott employee) explain in common english.

dejamo Platinum

As a PP, Maybe Marriott would be so kind as to apply all my nights "earned" above the PP level (I figure 125 again- done already) attained during the year, to the hotel program of my choice through some , Animal House type, triple secret,  "cant tell you or I have to kill you", (or at least take my CL access away) type program.  I vote IHG first !

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Simplify the program - eliminate rollover nights to avoid the confusion. OUCH - some MR members are throwing rocks at me!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

How does the Rollover program work this year????

dejamo Platinum

Only the Shadow knows !

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Shoeman:

As I read the new program rules at the beginning of this year as presented, this is the scenario and I am basing it on my situation from last year:

I am Platinum and had had 28 rollover nights credited to me in 2011 from 2010 stays. So, I stayed 103 nights at Marriott in 2010. If I stay 103 nights this year I will have zero, none, nada nights credited to me in a 2012 rollover.....because Marriott deducts all rollover nights credited from 2010 before any further rollover nights are credited. So, I would have to stay 104 nights this year to receive one (1) rollover credit night in 2012.

In other words, Marriott changed the program to a flow that recovers ANY rollover nights credited in year '20--' the following year.

In other words, there is a ROLLOVER PROGRAM, but it is only good for one year based on changes made to the program UNLESS you INCREASE the number of nights stayed EACH AND EVERY SUBSEQUENT YEAR from the first year a rollover night was credited. Is that really a true 'rollover program'?

For me, a retired traveler, I don't fall into the uber stay category. However, I do feel that 103 nights was pretty good for me since I do zero travel for business and all for pleasure.

My response to the change in the program? I have always said that I will be loyal to Marriott until they ask me not to be. As Pingreeman said, I would rather they had just sent a 'we are discontinuing the rollover program' memo than the gobbledygook confusion they have created with the changes to the program. In short, they just made me angry. Their change is not how to thank me for loyalty. Discontinue the program, don't play games with it to fool people.

So, I have altered my plans to stay exactly 75 nights this year at Marriott (that way they can't take back what I earned based on their original program, as that's how I see it) and am currently taking my business for any stays the rest of the year elsewhere. Haven't made my 75 yet, but that's by design as I'm staying other places during the course of the year to make sure I don't exceed my target number of 75.

I'm not promoting another hotel chain, I have just quietly walked and am exploring competitors and looking at the grass elsewhere. Will Marriott lose me? Who knows, but I don't think it matters to them. If it did, they wouldn't be doing the things they have done to make me (and others I am sure) angry.

I have also stopped using my Marriott Rewards Chase card entirely (from $5-$10 thousand a month to $38 last month). But, that is also based on I don't want $3000 credit nights to rack up and also the fact that Chase runs so many different promotional programs that penalize their largest users. That's another story I could get into, but I won't now.

So, who's really losing on the changes as made?

trockie Platinum 3 Reviews

Switch to Hilton or Hyatt as staying here doesn't net you much.  I have switched myself and find that I get treated better at the other properties, with less of a ranking in my membership than I do at Marriott, where I am a Lifetime Platinum.

Until Marriott changes how they treat their Elite members, I'll be staying elsewhere.

lifesablast Platinum

I to would really like to see a level above Platinum it is no problem for me to hit 75 nights in a year.  How about a 150 nights per year level.  I used to feel pampered as a Platinum Premier elite but now I feel I am treated like the occational traveler...

Scott

lifesablast Platinum

I am a Platinum Premier Elite already and I have also acheived Platinum lifetime status.  I would like to see another level, maybe after 150 nights each year.  Delta added a Diamond level when they realized there were to many at the current top level.  Marriott has made it easier to obtain Platinum with the roll over program.  I usually hit over 200 nights each yaer and love the recognition and special treatment, but now it seems to not be as big of a deal to be Platinum...

Scott

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...