7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 1, 2011 9:39 PM by lone6star RSS

Getting carded

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Anyone have any experience with the Capital One Venture Card, I am hearing reviews from former Chase card holders and wanted more information.

• Re: Getting carded
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I got one but unfortunately after the matching miles date had expired, and it's been relegated back to my drawer after I used up the points I'd gotten for spending what they required for the bonus points.  The problem is, if you exchange it for cash toward your account, you have to subtract two decimal points.  So after having used up all my bonus cash, if, for example, I spent $3000 I would get $30 toward my account.

I much prefer the Chase Sapphire card, which gave me 50,000 bonus points for spending $3000 (=$500 + $30 on spending) in 3 months plus gives you two miles per travel dollar spent, and if you book through them you get additional (substantial) dollar points added.  Then every year you get a percent bonus on what you've spent.  Now that I have both, I use the Sapphire for travel (including restaurants, hotels, trains, cars, and anything else thay could be remotely categorized as such) except at Marriotts (then I use my Chase MR Premier card) or for flying, when I use my Delta Skymiles Reserve Amex card.

Actually it was pretty daunting since I got both the Venture and the Sapphire around the same time and was trying to figure out how best to use my cards.  When it was MR and Amex Delta it was easy.  But right now after spending a hefty amount in Venice on the Sapphire card, I have about $800 toward some travel based on that card.

So unless Venture offers its mileage equivalent again (which in any case won't help existing members), I would say go with the Sapphire.  Like the MR Chase card it has no foreign fees and seems to offer significantly more benefits than Venture.

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

I got one just before going to Europe this spring because the MRVisa charged trans fees.  Soon as I got the Venture card, news arrived from Marriott that they dropped the fee.  I even reached out to Chase before I applied for the venture card to be sure they weren't changing the plan or couldn't make exceptions.  Alittle frustrating.

Needless to say, I used the venture card once.

When did Marriott drop the fee?  I just got the revised T and Cs and the fee for the Black Card actually went up!

PSU Grad, Stepping Stones

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Marriott dropped the fee several months ago (maybe April?).  Also, the Sapphire card from Chase does not charge foreign transaction fees, so Capital One is no longer alone.

But it occurred to me we're talking about different things -- the card fees annually did go up.  But they dropped foreign transaction fees.

Doh!  Incorrect reference on my part--lo siento mucho!

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

I was also curious to know from others here, what is the best credit card to have for earning airline miles for free flights?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...