13 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2011 1:31 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Venice in twilight

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Here are a few photos of Venice at dusk.

BTW, the near impossible happened.  On both ways of a trip that involved driving to Bangor, flying to DTW, flying to AMS and flying to VCE and the reverse, everything was on time.  Is there something wrong with the time-space continuum???

ProfChiara

• Re: Venice in twilight
    mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Very nice pictures. I visited Venice last summer for the first time and was awestruck. It far exceeded my expectations and is at the top of my list of places to go back to.

It's truly one of the most unique places on the planet.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Professor,

Great pictures!

Sounds like you had a great time.  Glad you are back!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks, Jerry!  Just FYI, in the first photo, you see the hotel Locanda.  That's right at the San Zaccharia vaporetto stop.  After you cross the bridge you see a church and immediately after that is the Hotel Metropole (and before the Metropole, which you can't see, is the Calle della Pietà that will lead you eventually to the Osteria Oliva Nera.  I just tried the olive oil he gives to me and all his guests and all I can say is magnifico!

Ciao, ProfChiara

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Beautiful pictures, Professor!

Thanks very much!

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Professor, Thank you for the lovely pictures.  I was in Venice 43 years ago.  I think it is time to return!

Professor,

I am thinking about that great "Olive Oil"!

My big concern is getting to and back from Venice.  I look at the flights and the time and connections are not fun.  Will continue to work on!  It is so hard to have more than one stop on these marathon trips.

Thanks again for the great information and pictures!

lakeshore Platinum 11 Reviews

Professor,

Thank you for sharing your gorgeous views of Venice.  Memories are flowing! And the mention of the delicious olive oil...what a treat! We have got to get back there soon!  Just wish Marriott had a property right IN Venice(hint, hint:)). Welcome back!

Hi all,

Jerry, because of living in Maine I usually have several stops and I actually find it helps in some ways (as long as the flights don't get cancelled) in that I can walk around between flights, which is good for my arthritis.  I couldn't believe that all the flights I had were on time.

Lakeshore, I second your hint hint.  The other chains have hotels IN Venice, which include Hiltons, SPG (including the Gritti Palace and Danieli), and IC.  Surely it's not a problem of volume?  I don't think Venice will ever lack for visitors.

Ciao, ProfChiara

Professor,

I am working on a trip to Venice and have a question.

Do you recall the Molino Stucky Hilton?  It is located on Giudecca Island.  As a Hilton Diamond I may get an upgrade.  It has been a long time since I have been there so your help will be appreciated.

Hi Jerry,

I considered the Molino Hilton Stucky, but chose against for a few reasons.  It was ridiculously expensive (much more so than the grand hotels in both the San Marco area and the Grand Canal) and I'm not big on the Lido.  The last time I went (two times ago) the beach was dirty and everything was ridiculously overcrowded.

That said, the film Death in Venice is what made me visit the Lido at all.  If you're ok with being off the Venetian main isle, then it should be fine.  But I got almost everything I would have gotten as a Marriott elite at the hotel I booked through expedia. Since I wanted points to I put it on a credit card that gave me airline miles.

When are you thinking of going? That could make all the difference.

Cheers, ProfChiara

Professor,

I would have to wait to go next year!  The rest of this year will be Paris, London, and Williamsburg, VA (Christmas).  I noted your recommendation on the time of year to go to Venice, and the places you preferred.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi Jerry,

I stayed at the Hilton Molino Stucky using points.  It is on  Giudecca, not Lido.  The hotel has a shuttle boat that takes guests back and forth to a few stops in Venice 'proper'.  You can also take the water bus as there are two stops less than a 10 minute walk from the hotel depending on which direction you want to go.

The hotel is beautiful!  The view of Venice from the roof-top pool and bar is magnificent!  The CL offers food and complimentary wine, beer, and some cocktails.

I was upgraded to a Jr. Suite with a welcome gift of 2 large bottles of Bellinis!  Yum, yum, yum.

Staying in Venice 'proper' is easier depending on where you stay.  But, I'd recommend this hotel without hesitation.

One regular poster on Fodors.com has noted that he's won this hotel for $120/night bidding on Priceline.

http://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-and-nearby.cfm

New Hilton,

Thanks so much for the information!

This sounds like a very "Relaxing" place.

Keep us informed about your travels.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...