6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2011 6:37 PM by retired RSS

CHASE now charging ANNUAL FEE for Marriott Rewards card

tradermansam Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Been a member of the Marriott Reards program for almost 30 years now. I have not had to pay an annual fee to obtain benefit of using the credit card that gets me Marriott points -- until now!!    In the switch to CHASE, I am now advised that a    $ 4 5 . 0 0   annual fee will now apply to my account.

I am very much opposed to this continued chipping-away of the benefits of the program and request Marriott to renegotiate this fee back to zero with CHASE for its long-term members.   If they MUST find new ways to make money, I submit they should charge NEW members and see exactly what sort of impact it has on increasing or decreasing the number new members.   An acid test, to be sure.

I object to paying the fee and plan to make a specific request to Marriott to waive it for me, based soley on the principal of my long-term loyalty to them over the years.  It's not the   $   4   5   .   0   0   that I object to, it's being told I now   M U S T  pay it in order to continue with the rewards program.   If I'm not a valuable enough commodity without paying the fee, then they can lose my business by forcing me to consider an alternative hotel chain who may appreciate my long-term loyalty more, and I may discover there are equally superior hotels in the world, besides Marriott.

I'd be interested in knowing if others feel the same as I do.  Your comments, feedback and advice is solicited.

• Re: CHASE now charging ANNUAL FEE for Marriott Rewards card
    pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

There's a long thread on this subject already. See MR VISA Chase

Both cards (standard and the "black" Premier) are increasing in fees. The one that earns three points (standard) is going from zero to $45; the Premier (earns five points) is going from $65 to $85.

I have both cards and used the standard as a backup, but I have cancelled it. I should add that I still have a Hilton AMEX (zero annual fee). One more reason perhaps to switch brands?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Although it is definitely going up this year, I have always had to pay a fee since I first got the card.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Same here Professor, I wasn't aware there was a card with no fee.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

There are three Chase Visa cards:

1. Marriott Rewards Credit Card
    2. Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card
    3. Marriott Rewards Business Card

I thought I was not payng an annual fee on the Standard card, but according to this site, I have been paying $30 per year, so it is going up to $45. The Premier card goes from $65 to $85.

See this link for descriptions and differences: https://www.chase.com/online/Card-Servicing/marriott-compare-card.htm<</a>/p>

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

I have a premier credit card, and I was not aware of the increase.

retired Platinum

Paying $45 - $85 is fine with me as long as they give me a free night stay in a cat. 1-4 or cat 1-5 hotel. I know when I use my free hotel stay in Kauai it saves me around $150 ($250 cost of room for one night less $85 cost of credit card). I think the only way you can lose on this deal is if you don't use your free night stay each year. If that is the case then why have the credit card?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...