7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 21, 2011 1:25 AM by hkloban RSS

How do MR points get credited?

platinumstar Platinum 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Lately I seem to be having many problems in getting the correct amount of MR points credited. I am getting points, but lately the wrong amount and not by a few hundred, but thousands.

Can anyone tell me how the crediting process works? You pay your hotel bill and then what happens? Is it an automatic link to MR? Surely someone does not sit in a back office and have to key in all the spends (which would allow for the mistakes on my account I suppose).

If it is automatically done, why do some credits show the day after checkout and some weeks later or not at all.

Would be most interested to hear how the process works.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: How do MR points get credited?
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I sure wish I knew.  I have the same problems, either with points not posting or incorrect points (which seems to have to do with the currency exchange rate that Marriott sometimes counts as its dollar equivalent, which it is most certainly not.

One thing that I did find out is that taxes never count toward points and at Courtyards nothing but your room counts.

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

While not an expert, I have a little insight having talked to some GMs and it goes like this:

Assuming your MR number is on your reservation, the points are credited by corporate. At least once a week, all properties are required to post their week's results to the corporate server for number crunching, etc. Some proerties post daily; others weekly. Then the corporate computers batch process the results booking their corporate revenue, processing points and crediting MR user accounts, calculate average revenue per room, occupancy rates (by region and overall), etc. This is why the MR T&C site suggests "up to 10 days" to get credit.

Most properties award 10 points for every $ spent exlusive of taxes (always the case) and many other costs during the stay, but room rate always earns points (FF and SHS award 5 points per $).

From the T&C: Charges that do not qualify for Points include taxes applied to the room rate, purchase of Marriott gift certificates, purchase of The Ritz-Carlton gift certificates, charges for third party-provided goods and services at participating Marriott brand hotels or Ritz-Carlton hotels, and catering or banquet functions charged to the guest room account.

For non-USD: Points earned while staying at any participating Marriott brand hotel or Ritz-Carlton hotel located outside the United States will be credited based on the U.S. dollar conversion rate for the local currency at time of checkout for all qualifying charges made during the stay.

See hotel points at: https://www.marriott.com/rewards/earn-points/points.mi<</a>/p>

To have a crediting of points that are 1,000's of points off is spooky. Could you have something like parking fees charged to your folio? Though not explicitly listed above, almost 100% of the time, parking services are subcontracted (third party-provided goods) so these earn zero points.

Thank you for explaining very fully the way you understand the crediting of points works. My rewards number is always on every reservation.

Just to answer your question, no car parking was involved, infact the only charges were the room rate (paid, not using points) and dinner in the hotel restaurant (not contracted out).

And yes, it is spooky as the difference has been in the thousands. My three stays have now been adjusted after a lengthy struggle but one of them I initially got 2,683 points when it was corrected it was 6,388. Another stay I got 1,294 but should have been 2,641, and another was an unbelievable 803 points when it should have been 6.275!!!!! I was told that it might have been because these were on an advance purchase rate but even then at the hotel rates paid and in getting 500 points for my Platinum gift, a meagre 803 points is clearly not enough even using an advance purchase rate as an answer to the problem. My stay this weekend is being monitered by the hotel and Marriott rewards to see if they can find out what is going wrong.

As a regular hotel guest this is becoming a bit tedious to have to check my points so carefully. I only ever charge the room and meals to my account with no third party charges. I have noticed on occasions that staying in some European cities (I live in London) sometimes credit me with points value in Euros rather than convert to USD but I presume this is just someone not concentrating.

We will see what happens this weekend, but thank you very much into the insight of points,. I am very grateful . 

nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews

I have never had any trouble with points posting to my account in a timely manner, usually within 3 days. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones!

redwood Platinum 5 Reviews

i've had particular problems in Paris - helpline fixes but its frustating. I think its an FX error

UPDATE - my fourth weekend and the points are wrong again despite Marriott rewards saying they would monitor it. I got just a base of 1,260 only with a total of 2,390 when infact the total should be over 6,000. It had nothing to do with a pre-paid rate as it was all charged on checkout. This is becoming a full time job for me and i really dont have the time. Marriott need to get it right! I suggest everybody checks their totals correctly.

hkloban Gold

This happens to me all the time particularly in the London (UK) area.  I recently had 2 rooms @ 4 nights each plus meals at the London Heathrow Marriott and my grand total of credited points was 68 (plus credit for 1 room night out of 8) !  You would think that a small number of points like that would raise some sort of flag, wouldn't you? In the past I have personally talked to the hotel accounting folks and Manager and they could not find out where the problem was.  This is actually the 4th time that my points were not credited properly with this same hotel.  I suggest that all members check their points after each stay. 

Here we go again back to the Service Centre.  The staff there are very helpful and I'm sure are very well practiced in crediting accounts.  They must do thousands daily!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...