15 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2012 6:40 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Venice Courtyard Airport

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

I'm at the Venice Courtyard Airport now, and while it is a standard nice airport hotel room, it is actually much larger than the room I was given at the Rive Gauche.  More importantly, when I checked in the desk associate immediately said "Ah, ----, you are a very special member!  Would you like extra points or something from our snack shop?" He was extremely nice and welcoming.

I really want to highlight this last point because it has been one of the constant topics of conversation lately.  It is not hard at all to have your reservation flagged by status and come up on the computer and for the desk associate to recognize you, though I think he had it on the paperwork he got out.  I got all the things I expect at a Marriott Courtyard.

The other thing to be noted is the airport shuttle was right on time and runs every half hour.  However, if you miss one, don't call a cab -- walk -- it is THAT close to the airport.

So thus far, a nice end to a great trip to Venice. (Always assuming my three planes take off tomorrow.)

ProfChiara

• Re: Venice Courtyard Airport

I just experienced above and beyond the call of duty.  The restaurant is currently closed for lunch and dinner isn't till 7:30pm (and I need to get up at 4am).  I could have walked to the airport (900 m, I wasn't kidding about how close), but just crashed after so much walking the past week and went down to see what was in the snack shop.  I ended up with two diet cokes, a prosecco and two candy bars (trust me, I made up for it the past six days). But while I was waiting to pay, the same gentleman (true meaning of the word) was apparently cooking his pre-packaged lunch in the microwave in the snack area.  I asked if they sold that.  He smiled and said no -- then said he would give it to me if I wanted!  Of course I said "no, grazie," but I'd say that's the meaning of Spirit to Serve. Kudos to both the associate (I'll hope to find out his name before I leave) and the training at  this hotel.

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Hello Professor - All I can say to this is "Wow."

nhtraveler

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

I stayed at this hotel in June - we had three rooms for two nights.  Also, received great service - with the exception of one of the bartenders (just seemed indifferent to all but locals).

By the way, the restaurant is quite good.  We decided to stay for dinner and were extremely surprised.  And that is after two weeks already in country, with some great meals.

getting into Venice is very easy.  They sell bus tickets in the hotel and the stop is across the street.

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

I stayed at this hotel in June - we had three rooms for two nights.  Also, received great service - with the exception of one of the bartenders (just seemed indifferent to all but locals).

By the way, the restaurant is quite good.  We decided to stay for dinner and were extremely surprised.  And that is after two weeks already in country, with some great meals.

getting into Venice is very easy.  They sell bus tickets in the hotel and the stop is across the street.

allijeee Platinum

I stayed at this hotel in 2009.  I have nothing to say but WONDERFUL priase for this Courtyard!  Big modern rooms, big bathrooms, great friendly staff, and amazing breakfast.  After being on a cruise ship for a week, it was a pleasure to stay at this Courtyard before returning home.

lakeshore Platinum 11 Reviews

Great to hear about your positive experience!

mtycat Platinum

Thank you for your comments.  I have a party of 4 adults who will be staying at the Venice Courtyard for a week in late October.  Any suggestions?

Also, will be at the Central Park Rome Courtyard, just prior to Venice.  Any experiences there?

THANX!!

I'd have to ask why you would stay at the Venice Courtyard for a week -- it's not in Venice, but out near the airport.  So it's good if you have an early flight or are getting on a cruise, but if not you have a long ride to get to Venice every day.  It is a very nice hotel, but it most assuredly is not in the city (or particularly close -- you can walk to the airport from it). I'd strongly suggest reconsidering even if it means not staying at a Marriott (I stayed at the Metropole in August, which I booked through expedia.)

I am staying at the Rome Central Park again in November and I love it.  It, too, is not centrally located but they have a shuttle as well as a nearby FR3 Gemelli train station, which is the same cost as the metro.  So in that case it's a great deal, has a fantastic restaurant, and wonderful, large rooms with balconies overlooking the Vatican.

ProfChiara

butchf Platinum

My wife and I stayed there two years ago!  Used it as a base touring around the area!   The people at the hotel were Fantastic!  It was easy to access the water taxi from there and go just about anywhere whithout having to make a change.

As usual, the Marriott people are always the best!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I'm going to vacation in the EU next May/June with my daughter and son-in-law (they're stationed in Bavaria), and two tiny grandkids for about one week.  We still haven't decided where we're going (I know, it's getting late!).  I think we have it narrowed down to either Paris and surroundings or Garmisch/Fussen/Salzburg/Venice.  I think Venice would be the better choice as it's south of Bavaria and on the way to Rome (where I will be spending time afterward).  We would train there (Venice) from Garmisch, after visiting Salzburg, Fussen, and Garmisch.  Does anyone have info about training to Venice from Garmisch?  Do we have to change trains in Vicenza?  Also, you can take a water taxi from the airport Courtyard to Venice?  Does that mean you can easily enjoy/sightsee Venice while stayingat the Courtyard?  Or more advisable to just find a boutique hotel on the island?  Thanks.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Lori,

Spent a lot of time in Garmisch, and do not think there is a direct train from there to Venice.  You would probably have to go to Munich and proceed from there.  You may want to check previous posts, especially from Professor Chiara who has extensive experience in Venice.

Dear LoriFleenor,

The Venice Courtyard is a very nice airport hotel, but it is a full half hour bus ride from Venice itself (it is literally next to the airport).  So by all means, please stay in Venice. I got a great rate on expedia at the Metropole and ended up with a huge room and great service, and it's right in the San Marco area.  A vaporetto pass (which you should get for a week since travelling around Venice Canals with the ability to hop on and hop off at your leisure and go to the farthest islands) is essential.  But that's not the same as the water taxi, which will cost you an arm and a leg if you do it twice every day. If your flight is early then it might be advisable as I did to stay at the Courtyard the night before, but otherwise, you'll miss all the joys of Venice.  My favorite restaurant in Venice is tiny and was found unexpectedly on the backstreets of San Marco -- L'Oliva Nera.  I wrote a commentary on tripadvisor about how wonderful it is.

Ciao, ProfChiara

iefbr14 Platinum 4 Reviews

Be aware that the info the front desk gives you at the Venice Courtyard should be used at your own risk. I was given bus info for Mon-Fri (even though it was Sunday and the runs are less frequent). This caused me to nearly miss my train at Mestre. I had to hire a taxi to chase the train (ie take me downwind a couple of stations). They refused to recover for their mistake by using their parked and available airport shuttle van to take me to the train station. Had they have done that, the taxi and the wait for the taxi would not have been needed and I could have made the original train departure time at the original station.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Thank you jerrycoin for the train info, and Prof Chiara for the 'stay in Venice,' restaurant and vaporetto info.  Much appreciated. 

Just as a side note to Iefbr14, hey there, I'm an IBMer too.  I still actually do some work on mainframe applications, if you can believe that.  It seems like there aren't too many of my kind left in the world, especially on the American west coast. 

It is interesting to me that two different parties can have two totally different experiences at the same place as it happened with Prof Chiara and Iefbr14 at the Venice Airport Courtyard.  This is really not that uncommon, which tells me that you never know about a recommendation based upon a person's personal experience, just something to ponder, as there are probably many factors involved.  Nonetheless, I so much appreciate reading about everyone's travel experiences, input, recommendations, etc.  At the end of the day, very helpful.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

lori,

You are welcome!

Are you familiar with Bavaria?

If you need any help, or have questions about the area let us know.  There are a lot of people on this site who have had memorable experiences there, as well as Venice.  It has been decades since I have been in Rome, but The Professor has influenced me to go back for this upcoming Christmas.  All of us are learning from this site.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...