20 Replies Latest reply: Sep 12, 2011 4:15 PM by nuhusker RSS

Platinum issues

mgold9 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Last 3 stays at Marriott (courtyard Arlington, Courtyard national airport and Maui beach club) I was not greeted as a platinum member nor was I offered the usual gift or points. After I asked for the gift (usually water or a snack) I do get it.

I am not really happy with this.  I stay with Marriott for this program and the perks.  If you don't get the perks what's the point?  Is it that hard to look at a computer screen and say welcome and thanks for being platinum?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Platinum issues
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Agreed.  I guess the new and improved training program hasn't reached these locations as of yet............

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

If you read my one of my recent posts, same thing happened to me at the Marriott Residence Inn in Pompano Beach. To this date, I never got the points and was not given any ammenity and also not recognized as a Platinum Member. I share your concern about the lack of customer care by Marriott. Unfortunately, there are now so many Platinum Members since Marriott has made it so easy to become a Platinum Member than in the past. In my opinion, being Platinum is now a figurehead title and is no longer held as a real elite status unlike some of the other Hotel elite programs.

sethsothell Platinum

You would assume that a window pops up on the staff's computer screen stating that the person checking in is a platinum/gold/silver member immediately upon check-in. Like at wal-mart when the register asks for ID when you buy beer, lol. I'm currently staying at a Resident Inn and they did not greet me as a gold member, they did not even provide me with elite key cards. The lack of proper staff training at Marriott is remarkable.

hmmmmmmmm.  maybe this hotel was also exempt from the "new and Improved" training we were told about......

ledcamera Platinum

there seems to be no difference between platimum and elite anymore. the whole program seems to be watered down

ledcamera Platinum

agree does not mean a darn thing

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Sometimes it does mean something -- see my post on the Courtyard Venice.

ProfChiara

peraspera Silver 3 Reviews

The Marriott managers in head office SHOULD do more and prevent future cases like this happening.  Does anybody care anymore?  It is very sad that hotels seem to adopt this attitude and seem to ALL get away with it. 

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Sadly this is all too common.  Recall when airlines treated their best customers to perks, and recognized their accomplishments? 

Hotels tend to build clientele, and with the advent of loyatly programs, attempt to keep that clientele coming back.  What should be realized is that nothing can be taken for granted and that competition will eventually drain that loyal base when recognition falters.

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi Insiders - Whenever I check-in, I hand my Platinum Elite membership card and my Marriott Premier Visa card to the front-desk clerk. That way, they know immediately, without the need to even look at a computer, that I'm a Platinum Elite member.

To me, being a Platinum Elite member and going to check-in without notifying them of the fact is somewhat like playing "hide the ball." Doing things the way I do, I have never been been treated with anything but the highest level of consideration. While it would be nice to think that every employee at every Marriott property would have received the training we would all like to see, let's face it - it's not going to happen! If, after showing your membership card on your own volition, you get less than appropriate treatment, there would be, at that point, legitimate grounds for concern.

nhtraveler

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I agree with NHTraveler.  As soon as I arrive at a property, before I even get to the desk, I have my passport, my Platinum Premier card, and my Marriott Platinum VISA card in hand.  Only then after I have given  them a huge chunk of my wallet do I tell them my name.  So while I have occasionally had bad experiences, even the Rive Gauche gave me the choice of points or gift on arrival.

ProfChiara

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I don't get it....You should not have to present all those credentials and then hope you are appropriately recognized...It is Marriotts responsiblity to provide all their guests and especially Platinum Members with the recognition they deserve, as other hotel chains do including SPG, Hyatt and Hilton. It seems a little egotistical to pull out all your credentials with the hope of getting the treatment earned and deserved. It should just be standard practice.

Jasper100

agreed.  It's like telegraphing what  you expect ahead of time.  duh.  I'm sure the new training mission will improve this.........

rcrodgersjr Platinum

If they don't ask, I always tell them that I want points and ask them if my rewards number is on my reservation. I have found that the best way to make sure that all points are awarded as you would like. When the survey comes after my stay I make sure that I have noted that no mention of my Platinum status was made at the time of check in.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

NH and Prof -- y'all can call it hiding the ball, hiding the salami, or any other thing you want to, but I call it carrying some knuckle draggers water for them.  Where I come from, we each do our jobs and are held accountable for that.  Those who need someone else to pick up the slack for them are usually the first casualties.

imagrits Platinum 1 Reviews

If you are not offered your amenity, say nothing at the time, but bring it to the front desk attention before checking out (very important - BEFORE checking out!), as you are entitled to receive cash compensation.

I find for most people the cash in hand makes up for the desk clerk error.

The amount is different in each brand, but for full service hotels it is $100.

lifesablast Platinum

I have had the exact same issue at the marriott courtyard in Saratoga springs.  They do not welcome me as a platinum, I am not offered points or a gift.  I actually feel like I am just a no body with no special treatment.  I do not expect the treatment except that I am treated special at most marriott properties so when I am treated bad it is that much more present...

Scott

burrrobe Platinum

I have had similiar issues with the Newark Liberty Marriott. I have stayed at that particular Marriott over 100 nights over the last few years and have never been offered a room upgrade despite my Platinum Status.  I am lucky if they even put me on the 10th floor where the Concierge Loungeis located.  This hotel's staff doesn't seem to focus on Loyal Hotel Guest, a shame.

rcrodgersjr Platinum

The same thing happened to me at the Louisville Marriott Downtown a few weeks ago (no upgrade and no concierge floor). I did mention it in a critique of the hotel on Trip Advisor and apparently Trip Advisor has their ear because they commented immediately with an apology and they added 10,000 points to my rewards account.

The sales manager of the hotel said that he printed my comments and handed them to the front desk manager so we will see. I am still not sure if I will ever stay there again.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

burrobe -- Unless you were specifically paying a rate for a room on the concierge level, then you were upgraded if that's where they put you.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...