Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

19 Replies Latest reply: Aug 10, 2011 10:29 AM by profchiara RSS

Stagnation

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Has everone noticed that Insiders, at least the Insider's Lobby portion is looking old and tired.  My post on Adding Years in Program had been in the featured box since the Red Sox last won the World Series (or so it seems).  Other than Bill Marriott's blog, which frequently changes and this week features In and Out Burgers, the remainder of the side stays the same for weeks on end.

From this I draw a number of conclusions:

1.  Marriott seems less interested in keeping the content new,

2.  No new ideas have surfaced that require postings on the Inbsider's Lobby, or

3.  Both of the above.

I hope when the site is relaunched, perhaps in September of this year, we'll see fresh content added to the site.

• Re: Stagnation
    davidinla Platinum

Yes, in a word it's "stale"!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

one would think that if the "launch" were to be in september (less than a month away), Marriott would be tooting their horn on the subject.  has anyone heard any official news recently?  Ambassadors???

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Could it be that all the MRI staff is so dedicated to a successful new launch that this "old" site has fallen in priority and essentially abandoned?

Wishful thinking?

Most likely so.  The old Lobby post is the only horn toot that I've see--how about you all, Versel and the Professor (sounds like a Disney feature title doesn't it?)

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Dear SS and others,

As I settle down to an early evening glass of something or other, I thought I'd offer two responses to your perceptive comment:

1. It  is the most charitable explanation of the otherwise inexplicable silence that has descended upon the Insider team since Andy's last words;

2. As an outsider Insider, when did the Red Sox last win the World Series? . I can tell you when England won the Ashes, but confess to being a little culturally circumscribed thereafter.

Have a good week-end,

Arkwright

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Versel and I have a conference call with Andrew and other Marriott officials Monday.  It sounds like things are on track for September with the website.  We have brought to Andy's attention the increasingly negative experiences and so forth of many Insiders.  If you have anything that would be of concern to a large number of members and non-members alike, please let us know.

I leave for Venice Tuesday, so I probably won't be able to report back before my return.

ProfChiara

Hi Arkwright,

I hope you are thoroughly enjoying your drink of something-or-other.

The easy question is 2007.

The other one is harder, though as I just wrote, Versel and I will be talking to HQ Monday.

Cheers, ProfChiara

blava007 Platinum

Please request the return of the European Happer program!

Thank you, 

Arkwright, here's a hint: two world wars elapsed between Red Sox World Series championships 1918-2004 (not to mention a few other undeclared and declared squirmishes,  The most recent time they won it alll was 2007, by the way.

Can Versel be the scribe and let us know?  We need to see that somethin, anything is brewing.

Agreed.

I will anxiously await some solid info.

SS,

Many thanks. Now you have answered my query, I do recall reading of the latest Bostonian triumph. The new owner - John Henry, I think - also owns Liverpool Football Club; many of their fans are praying that he will be able repeat the trick.

As to the Marriott, it will be interesting to see which of the various issues raised over recent weeks it deems to be most pressing.

Regards

nycuws10025 Platinum

I, for one, find it a bit disconcerting that we have to wait for the results of a conference call in order to learn the latest from our Ambassadors, who are, of course, our fellow Insiders and volunteers at that!

Shouldn't "the latest" be communicated directly from Marriott employees?

ny

of course you are right. Is it possible that Marriott looks upon the Insiders community differently than we do?  Perhaps the company feels like they have provided us a forum to pretty much use as we please and do not meddle unless a serious offense occurs or vital information needs to be shared.  If that is the case, I can respect that.  Possibly even prefer that to a meddlesome "big brother". Maybe they would feel no responsibility to keep us updated.  A simple announcement of what they are providing us for free is sufficient.  What do others think??

Shoeman and others,

I have much less experience of this site many of you, but what I have seen over the past year suggests a degree of uncertainty and ambiguity about both the purposes of the site and the best way of operating it consistent with those purposes. I cannot believe that it was ever an entirely altruistic venture; the commercial potential, albeit difficult to calculate or to time, is self-evident. I can accept though - as SS and others have argued - that it had elements of an "grand idea"; unfortunately, these have been diluted almost to the point of non-existence by Marriott's apparent naivete in believing that a site dediciated to an open exchange about travel would not at some point - in this economic climate. probably sooner rather than later - raise difficult questions about Marriott's own performance in terms of value for money, quality, reliability etc etc. Or, perhaps, in believing that if these issues were raised, a response strategy akin to "masterly inactivity" would suffice - that the questions, if ignored often enough, would simply fade away. This clearly has been at best a flawed strategy. The real danger now is that what MR promises to bring forward in September will appear as a response to issues that no longer occupy centre stage; the problem is less the architecture of the site, more the handling of key issues raised on it.  And the result could be a range of reactions from polite disappointment, through disbelief and irritation, to total distinterest.

Arkwright

I always find your posts thought-provoking. for that, I thank you.  However, in this instance, I believe you have missed the target.  I believe that it is ALL about the design of the site and our ability to maneuver through it.  The other issues you mention, while very important, are a totally different issue and the two should not be measured together.

Shoeman,

Many thanks for your comments. Above all else, I value an open, honest exchange of views.

Here's to the future... which, in London at present, looks a little uncertain!

Regards

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Greetings Insiders,

We had a great conversation with Versel and ProfChiara today and this was one of our topics. We have several posts about the new community which are available within the Insiders' Lobby secton. And more than providing updates, we're actively looking for your feedback with each of the posts. I'll call attention to future updates from within the Marriott Rewards section, but I've provided links below in case you've missed any of these posts.

Regards, Andy

What Information is Most Important on the New Home Page?
    http://www.marriottrewardsinsiders.marriott.com/thread/null

Exciting Changes Are Coming to the Insiders Community

Help us Determine Which Groups to Setup on the New Platform

A Glimpse into a New Marriott Rewards Insiders Community

Thanks, Andy!  As I mentioned during our conversation, I think that is one of the ways Marriott can most positively affect Insiders -- with regular posting and responses.  I know people at HQ did not want to be intrusive in the past, but I think it has been clear that people on Insiders want you and Michelle involved.

Best, ProfChiara

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...