11 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2012 11:22 PM by stelzer001 RSS

Here's a radical idea in hotel customer relations

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Listen to their complaints!  Here's the story.

• Re: Here's a radical idea in hotel customer relations
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Stepping,

This is so well done and appropriate!

Recently, at The Lodge of the Four Seasons at The Lake of the Ozarks, Mo. (No Marriott's, the great Tantara Resort is gone), I had an interesting experience checking out.  Angie, who I won't forget, "Asked my how my stay was."  When I frankly told her what my experience was like, (Bad), she cut the price in the room in half.  I promptly did not cancel my upcoming stay at this hotel because she at least "Listened".

Stepping, I really have had few complaints in my decades of travel. However,  when i or anyone else does, it really is great when someone at least listens and even better when they do something about the problem.

There are too many "Choices" available for hotels, and we are headed for times that I would not want to be a business that does not listen to customers.  Hopefully, people don't put themselves out of work because they don't care about their cutomers, who are there "Paychecks"!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Well said, Jerry, and I'm glad you didn't have to pay full price for a bad experience!

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

theolejudge Gold 4 Reviews

Stepping, I plan to use the article in one of our training classes. Jerry, I know you are a gentleman and made your protest without anger and it brought results...it has to be a two way exchange. Hi Prof Chiara.  Kindness and respect go a long ways even in my profession.....Bill

Dear Bill (and all), getting my way by yelling is a short-lived and not at all satisfying way to "resolve a dispute."  Most of us want to plead our case and then hope that the vendor listens.

I think of UPS when I had an art shipment arrive damaged and the UPS customer service person says, "I am very sorry."

And USAA, my Army service earned insurance company, when we file a claim (three times in 40 plus years) the company rep says "areyou OK?".

The proactive listening in these two cases makes me a believer in the value of these companies, and I continue to do business with them.

While some complaints may be spurious or given with ulterior motives, I believe (and hope) that most people are sincere when they make these complaints.  As this article says, the need to listen and to react (positively) are paramount.

We should all try to be constructive and complain or comment when necessary, and give an associate the chance to make good on their promises to serve.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Stepping, Bill and Professor,

Thanks for the kind words (Bill), and the common sense comments from all of you.

SS your comments on "Loyalty", are so true.  I too have my favorites to do business with and for decades, their are three that I would enjoy investing in, or at least buying from, AMEX, APPLE, and MARRIOTT.

For the most part, these companies "Ask", "Listen", and "Do Something", to try to give you a valued product.  I hope Marriott will keep it's standards high!

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I completely agree with this article, but one thing NOT mentioned is critical - that the staff be EMPOWERED to remedy the situation. Too often I get the words, "I'm sorry sir, but there is nothing I can do" or some other bogusly (such a word?) polite way of saying "No."

Jerry's experience was excellent as the clerk was empowered to do whatever it takes to make the guest happy. It's too bad more Marriott properties do not empower their associates.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Excellent point, Pingreeman.  I think that is what many of us seem to sense has been lost from the Spirit to Serve model.

ProfChiara

Peters and Waterman discussed the empowerment principle at length in their 1980s best seller, In Search of Excellence.

8factors Member 8 Reviews

Listening is a great start, an intelligent response would be helpful though

I recently stayed for 2 nights at the Downtown Trenton, NJ Marriott ( I haven't met a person yet who lists Trenton on the top of their destination list) and found my room not serviced (pic) after having been gone all day, returning shortly before midnight. My attempt to call the front desk failed, due to a faulty telephone, so I went downstairs to let someone know. The guy was very polite, offered a different room for the night (which I declined, who wants to pack in the middle of the night?), made a note of it and gave me a breakfast coupon - While I still wasn't thrilled, I was cool with it.

Here is the kicker though: When I checked out the next morning the clerk, as always, asked, if everything was OK with my stay? My answer was a poilite 'not really', so he inquired about the problem, which was the lack of a serviced room upon my return the previous night, his response: "Oh, well have a safe trip then!"

Really?

I admit this is Trenton, but is this really the best Marriott can do? After all, I am paying for room AND service, or is that expecting too much? I can easily imagine a multitude of more appropriate responses... Here is a quick tip: If you aren't willing (or unable) to deal with the answer, maybe you shouldn't ask?

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

I stay at the trenton marriott many times during the year, due to business needs. Never had the matter you raised (UGH, for the record from your picture), but I have had my share of gaffes there, like room not ready in the dead of winter (like who goes there in February that they don't have a clean room ready?), not providing me with my gold or platinum welcome choice, and my favorite, showing up at midnight and being charged for parking at full rate, even if I check out at 7am. I have had good and poor experiences at every hotel chain, but, as an example, I hold a special dark place for any starwood property and will never, ever again in my life stay at one, due to so much mistreatment at Sheratons, four points inns, etc that they have earned my forever swear off, Marriott hotels generally try really hard, and the customer service 800 people are great.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

disgusting.  totally unprofessional.  I'm sure Mr Marriott would be ashamed.....

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...