5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 5, 2011 1:43 PM by anadyr RSS

We've come to this

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We know that it's a litiguous society but this event brings new meaning to lawsuits.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Sonoma, California, USA
  • Re: We've come to this
    nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

While USA Today may not be the best paper in the world, at least it's a newspaper - and 75 cents is a small price to pay to be somewhat better informed! I, for one, appreciate getting a paper whenever I check into a hotel, and usually even buy the NY Times in addition to getting the usually free USA Today or local paper. While the opt-out notice might have been bigger, for 75 cents it's hardly worth the time to visit the lawyer!!! Oh well, welcome to the uninformed and litigious society! (And yes, I'm a lawyer)

nhtraveler

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I have absolutely -- utterly -- no sympathy for fools like this idiot who abuse and waste our money, with their frivolous (that's too nice a word) lawsuits.

That said, and with it made clear that I think this guy should be thrown into jail for a few days for wasting taxpayers' money and time, since most hotels do provide free newspapers to their guests (or at least have them lying on the check-in counter), an opt-out policy seems ridiculous.

Like so much of what we've been talking about lately, the problem seems to be one of consistency and lowering standards at the best hotel chains. Maybe, as Arkwright said so well, we've become used to good treatment and when we don't get it we complain.  I've actually noticed lately that while in some Marriotts abroad put a xeroxed copy of the major news under your door, unlike the old policy of the local paper or one of the major US papers, that too is inconsistent.

I think we all simply want to know what the new standards are. They're obviously changing, but with the US and European economies the way they are, it still seems to me that treating your elite members well should be a given.

ProfChiara

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Quite frankly, lawyers of this type and scheme should face censure for bringing frivolous suits of this kind to a court of law to do nothing but waste the time of all involved. There are better was to deal with issues as petty as these.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I know for a fact I've seen the same fine print at a Marriott property or their web site offering a $0.75 credit for not taking the USA Today. So watch out Marriott, you're about to get a 1-800-DUM-ATTY lawsuit, too.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I once took a lawyer to a Japanese restaurant were he ordered "Sosume"  He worked at the firm of Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...